Over sixty five travel insurance limits trip to 31 days.

Fisher1

Hi all

My OH turns 65 this year and we are shocked to find out that most travel insurance firms seem to limit the length of your trip to a maximum of 60 days - and that at a horrendous cost. I have just been quoted 400 pounds for forty five days (more because of pre-existing medical conditions but nothing that is currently a problem).

We had hoped to stay for six months next year. Is that it then, we can't go? I'd be really grateful for pointers from other oldies who have found a way round this ... could it be got round with private medical insurance when we arrived?

Feeling a bit gobsmacked to be honest. :mad:

Thanks, Celt down under. Well this is where it gets confusing - there is a reciprocal agreement but I was under the impression it didn't cover everything and you still had to get travel insurance. Does anyone have any info about this? I really want to go for six months next year and it seems like we might not be able to.

You're wise to get travel insurance just in case something goes awry and you need repatriating. My DH is over 65 and just did a Go Compare or one of those comparison websites and got a good deal from AA. He wasn't going for long this time though I admit. Have you tried Saga? They're supposed to be good for older travellers.

Hi all

My OH turns 65 this year and we are shocked to find out that most travel insurance firms seem to limit the length of your trip to a maximum of 60 days - and that at a horrendous cost. I have just been quoted 400 pounds for forty five days (more because of pre-existing medical conditions but nothing that is currently a problem).

We had hoped to stay for six months next year. Is that it then, we can't go? I'd be really grateful for pointers from other oldies who have found a way round this ... could it be got round with private medical insurance when we arrived?

Feeling a bit gobsmacked to be honest. :mad:

Just pay the travel insurance and go.

Yes it is expensive but just another cost in travelling to the other side of the world.

No, paying the insurance isn't the problem. The problem is that I cant find a provider willing to insure for longer than a couple of months if you are over 65. The money isn't an issue - well it is, but hey, its just another sting in the tail, you want to go you have to pay. Its finding someone to insure a long trip.

We are hoping to move out permenantly eventually but thought we would try a six month stay next year to see how it goes. It seems that it isn't possible to insure for this long if you are over 65. So I could go for six months but not my OH.

Guest The Pom Queen

There is one who does it from the UK (can't remember the name at the top of my head) . In regards to insurance as you know I went against my surgeons advice and travelled to America last year with no insurance. He did say to me that if I had been going to the UK I would have been covered and would only need insurance for the travelling part, so this could be an option.

Thanks everybody for the advice. I knew there must be some way round it and that if there was, someone on here would know! What a fantastic resource this is :-)

I've actually made some progress myself with this year's insurance - discovered that a single trip for forty five days is do-able. However it is next year's proposed six months (or longer) that was worrying me - it's hard enough to get my OH on that plane without him having a ready made excuse!! Thank you all so much, that's a huge relief.

Celt down under ... my my, a past frequenter of the Great Orme ... where did you grow up? I know the orme really well, my friend and I used to go up there when we were skiving off school in the sixties .... You don't actually have to pay to visit it, never have. What you have to pay for is the drive around the circumference, a distance of about five miles, which gobbles up the money in maintenance because there are always bits dropping off needing sweeping up :-) It's possible, with good clutch control, to drive to the top without paying a penny. We don't pay in any case - since half the family is buried up there, my mum has a pass.

Thanks for that Fisher. We last drove around it over 30 years ago. My wife is a Holyhead girl. On trips back, we usually end up in Llandudno for a day. I did not know that you could drive to the top, so maybe when we are back in Wales in June, we may suss it out. Where will you be coming to on your visit?

You can also drive round for free after a night out ... or you could forty years ago - haha I don't expect this idea appeals much :-) Holyhead,eh. It's a small world. I'll look up the route and make sure you can still do it ... haven't attempted it for years. We're aiming for Sydney.

You can also drive round for free after a night out ... or you could forty years ago - haha I don't expect this idea appeals much :-) Holyhead,eh. It's a small world. I'll look up the route and make sure you can still do it ... haven't attempted it for years. We're aiming for Sydney.

In 40 years that may have changed, and no, it does not appeal for a night drive. :wink: My Mother and her husband ran a pub on the main street in Llandudno many years ago. I cannot recall the name as I never went there, but The Stanley rings a bell. Will you be staying in Sydney for the whole of your planned trip?

AmProbably yes, Daughter is having a baby next month so we will be doing a lot of cooing and not much travelling. As far as the pub goes ... I'm not good at old pubs in Llandudno - I left at 21 and didn't come back until five years ago. Mostyn Street hasn't changed that much, still instantly recognizable I think ... although I visited throughout the 36 years I was away so changes sank in gradually. Small world though.

With the reciprocal health agreement you can get a Medicare Card try this link for further details http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/health-care-for-visitors-to-Australia. My parents got one when they used to come here for 3 months or more at a time.

You would then only need to get cover whilst actually flying from UK-AUS-UK which can be done and previous threads on this forum cover that. But then again it may be worth checking out the free/included travel insurance you get with some credit cards, I think mine goes up to age 75 before I have to provide further details to them, also check the 'existing conditions' clauses.

Good luck

Archived