The return of the native

whiteknight7878

:ssign5:

I want to PERMANTLY move back to the UK in April of 2016.

I was born in Wolverhampton in 1957 and still have my British birth certificate in my possession. My parents, who both legally lived and worked in the UK from the late 1940's, decided to immigrate to Australia in 1959 taking me with them as a two year old baby.

I currently am an Australian citizen and hold an Australian passport. I have no criminal history - totally squeaky clean.

My question is can I just board a plane with a ONE WAY ticket using my Australian passport and fly to London indicating on my arrival (with my 1957 British birth certificate) that I intend to PERMANTLY live and find a job in the UK. Or is it a little more complicated than that?

A few pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Alex

:ssign5:

I was born in Wolverhampton in 1957 and still have my British birth certificate in my possession. My parents, who both legally lived and worked in the UK from the late 1940's, decided to immigrate to Australia in 1959 taking me with them as a two year old baby.

I currently am an Australian citizen and hold an Australian passport. I have no criminal history - totally squeaky clean.

My question is can I just board a plane with a ONE WAY ticket using my Australian passport and fly to London indicating on my arrival (with my 1957 British birth certificate) that I intend to PERMANTLY live and find a job in the UK. Or is it a little more complicated than that?

A few pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Alex

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum, wow that's a big decision I'd love to know your reasons for deciding to move back now.

The least complicated way to return is to apply for your UK passport, as you were born in the UK to British parents and have your birth certificate it should be straight forward to get one, albeit it takes a few months as it is your first British passport (I presume as babies didn't need them in 1959 - I migrated to South Africa and was included in my mothers passport) and you are applying from overseas.

You then leave Australia on your Australian passport and enter the UK on your British one.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, getting a British passport before I leave Australia is what many people are saying, so that's what I'll do which will make things easier on my arrival in England in 2016.

I'm getting close to retirement age, and both my parents, who were married in England, recently passed away on the same day after 60 years of marriage!! Even though I've lived in Australia all my life, I still don't consider myself "Australian" regardless of citizenship. I have ALWAYS supported England when it comes to playing sport against Australia - it's in my blood to do so. Main thing is I want to end my days in my homeland and be laid to rest in the country I have ALWAYS loved.

Good for you! I hope it all works out! Most of the issues older people have moving on is the access to money and longevity of their funds. Personally I find UK much better for "persons of age"! Sorry to hear about your parents but I think that's how my olds would like to shuffle off this mortal coil - they've racked up 66 yrs now.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, getting a British passport before I leave Australia is what many people are saying, so that's what I'll do which will make things easier on my arrival in England in 2016.

I'm getting close to retirement age, and both my parents, who were married in England, recently passed away on the same day after 60 years of marriage!! Even though I've lived in Australia all my life, I still don't consider myself "Australian" regardless of citizenship. I have ALWAYS supported England when it comes to playing sport against Australia - it's in my blood to do so. Main thing is I want to end my days in my homeland and be laid to rest in the country I have ALWAYS loved.

Have you visited England over recent years? If not, would it be worth you doing a reccie across there before taking the plunge?

Yes, I went back to England once only in 1978 to visit London as a "tourist" and also see the house I was born in Wolverhampton - see image.

I know things have dramatically changed since the 1950's, but I'm mentally preparing myself for anything & everything that will be thrown my way. It won't be easy, but home is where the heart is and I won't allow ANY circumstances to put me off. :happy_face_outlaw_s

002.jpg

002.jpg

No family in England, but I have one friend who is a member of the Deanna Durbin Devotees which I am the administrator. He has kindly offered accommodation for me, but I will have enough funds for my own place. I'm thinking of starting my "new life" somewhere in the south of England - anywhere from Dorchester to Canterbury and all points in between - any suggestions?? But eventually I will move to Wolverhampton where I plan to see my first WOLVES football match - I'm very excited about that!!

I was born in Wolverhampton in 1957 and still have my British birth certificate in my possession.

As others have said, get your UK passport first, then you can just get on a plane and go.

There is one big snag though: you won't be able to claim your Australian age pension from the UK. You can still get your superannuation but not the state pension.

What you can do, provided you work for a few years in the UK once you arrive, is apply to have your Australian years of work recognised to qualify for the British pension. I suggest you look into that in more detail to understand what you can get.

Guest Chewitts

Wow!.....Dorchester, Canterbury and Wolverhampton?.......all very different places and a long way from each other........is there a reason you want to start living south but plan to eventually live in the midlands?......

I have 525 members and Deanna Durbin's parents were both English. I never got the chance to see the south of England in 1978 and there is so much beautiful scenery and history in that part of the country. I love the novels of Thomas Hardy, so Dorchester is a must to see and I may stay for a few months. Another person suggested Guildford could be a suitable town to start my English journey. Canterbury has that beautiful cathedral and perhaps may also be a nice place to stay for a time. Speaking of which, this 1944 film has really influenced me even though much has changed from those days:

Archived