Will drink driving affect permanent resident (189visa)

liliannn

Hi all, my partner got drink driving offence this year and resulted in a fine and 6 months suspension, and this is his second drink driving offence ( last time had a similar consequence) as I heard as long as there is no imprisonment sentence of one year, it will has no effect on his visa, is it true? Thanks.

I know of people who gained PR with a previous DD conviction but they were 'spent' and single mistakes from a misspent youth years earlier...Wouldn't want to comment when the conviction was so recent and a 2nd offence, perhaps hubby has a more pressing issue he needs to deal with before thoughts of emigrating?? Not judging, just saying...

I would take advice from a registered migration agent - the current Government has said it is taking a tougher line on convictions, so past experience may not be a good indicator of current practice. Like QSS, I am inclined to think that Australia ought to decline PR visas to serial drunk drivers.

Hi all, my partner got drink driving offence this year and resulted in a fine and 6 months suspension, and this is his second drink driving offence ( last time had a similar consequence) as I heard as long as there is no imprisonment sentence of one year, it will has no effect on his visa, is it true? Thanks.

From what you have posted, you should be OK, but do not assume you are going to be.

May I suggest that you put the full facts of your case to a registered migration agent who has experience in this type of issue and take advice about how to proceed?

Archived