Homesick...

shak

Skype (for me) is the worst possible place to be when things aren't hunky dory here. I was halfway to getting on a plane the other day because I had talked to my older sons and grandkids back in the UK. They've rarely been out of my thoughts, but likewise, haven't been (physically) into my life for the last 19 yrs. It took one of my younger sons here to bring me to my senses................our life is here now and just because it's a little bit more than pear shaped atm, doesn't mean that I can knock it back into shape by turning my back on it by heading back to the UK.................running back to the past because I am "uncomfortable" with the present, is no guarantee that we will be OK in the future.................indeed, it's highly likely that the opposite will occur, in my case...........I just couldn't see that at the time and it took the eyes of youth to make me see it................I think my boy became a man at that very moment.

Skype (for me) is the worst possible place to be when things aren't hunky dory here. I was halfway to getting on a plane the other day because I had talked to my older sons and grandkids back in the UK. They've rarely been out of my thoughts, but likewise, haven't been (physically) into my life for the last 19 yrs. It took one of my younger sons here to bring me to my senses................our life is here now and just because it's a little bit more than pear shaped atm, doesn't mean that I can knock it back into shape by turning my back on it by heading back to the UK.................running back to the past because I am "uncomfortable" with the present, is no guarantee that we will be OK in the future.................indeed, it's highly likely that the opposite will occur, in my case...........I just couldn't see that at the time and it took the eyes of youth to make me see it................I think my boy became a man at that very moment.

Sounds like you are going through a bit of a tough time JD. Hope you get things sorted. Have a good Christmas.

If you're secure in what you are doing then go for it if it helps but if you are insecure and can only see the life youve left behind and the things you are missing then avoid it. It was much easier back in the day when aerogrammes took a week and phone calls cost £1 per minute. I was responding to someone who wasnt coping - if you're coping it is a whole different ballgame because you arent as hung up on what you are missing so much as maintaining connections. Personally I find grandparenting on Skype to be very dissatisfying - I defy anyone to hold a hand or get a cuddle via Skype. Once a month is enough so the kids remember who you are and you can see their development.

I've never actually 'done' a 'Skype', to be honest. I have a German friend with hearing difficulties and she says Skype is a boon because she can look at the person and lip read.

I put my short and (un?) sweet comment because it struck me that one person was recommending using it and another counselling against it.

In 'my day' it was an airmail letter or an aerogramme at least once a week to my parents, plus a picture postcard usually after work, and before pub, on a Friday arvo. Mum also wrote to me at least once a week, and we had a phone call on Sunday nights.

I wish they were still here so we could use email and maybe even Skype!

Nice post Johndoe!Yeah when things get rough,its only natural to want to run.That good old "Fight or Flight"syndrome kicking in.The power though is in the staying.(Not in all situ's though of course).Try and stay in the present moment as much as you can hon.It'll help alot. So when you get the F or F syndrome,focus on what you are doing at that moment.If you're not doing anything in particular,focus on your breathing!:cute:

I don't think Skype is all that but people swear by it...done it a handful of times really....it's so time consuming. I find the conversation is stilted and doesn't flow as in a phone call and there's often several people trying to say hello at the same time. I suppose its best one to one. I've got other things to do. Sounds harsh but I find phone calls and texts/FB better.

Never used skype but I've used FaceTime so I guess it's the same thing. I liked seeing my family but I found it a bit awkward and like HH said - the conversation didn't flow as well. Plus everything seemed quite delayed, I think it was the signal. I think I'll do it next Christmas Day though so I can see everybody

I live in the hills...and its my husband's work do,I don't really know any of them so I were thinking if I do go it might give me a chance to meet new people and make some friends.I am feeling a little hesitant about going with the little one but hubby keeps reassuring me that it'l be fine...glad things are going better for you.

I live in the hills too, if you're anywhere near castlehill rsl its a fab place to go with your little one and if you join moving to sydney on fb and do a post to introduce yourself etc you'll be flooded with replies. I did and got over 80 replies, it was lovely and a lot if the mums have children preschool age and get together every now and then! X

Archived