Nature Strip (Vic)

CNC FABS

Can anyone advise if this is a set thing ?

ie the strip in between your front fence and the road

on most out of town locations.

Is it a set size that belongs to the council ?

I see people using it for parking, some are planted,

some have been covered in gravel, some even paved

to match driveway.

What is the deal, in Victoria at least ?

I'm looking at a house that has 2 crap trees on the strip,

do you need permission to remove them, is it going to be

an issue ?

Sorry. I just remember someone telling me the council always own the first 8ft of land or something.

Like most things. I just wanted to ask question on here, before I make myself look like a fool on this

or anything else. When talking to agents etc in person.

Surely that's what a lot of us are thinking ?

:rolleyes:

Most people put their fence on the boundary line so generally if you have a fence, what's inside is yours and what's outside is the council's and if they want to dig it up - even if you've planted prize begonias on it or parked a rusty old Commodore then they will do so without asking your permission! It's not a mandatory width but whatever the planners of the day decided was a nice width for a nature strip. Removal of trees is another issue - if they are a certain size then you need permission, if they are the council's designated street trees then you would need permission - some councils are very particular about their streetscapes.

Edited by Quoll

In Brizzy the council owns the land in front of your letterbox and anything thereon. Even if it's you who plant it you can't remove anything on it without permission and you cannot impede the postie. I got fined $350 for removing a tree which I planted. The 8 metres you talk of is the distance that your house must be set back from the letterbox (boundary) IOW nearly all houses (unless special cases) have a minimum 8 metre front garden

Edited by Johndoe

Thanks it's clearer now. But now I'm wondering about another issue that came to mind. All along the street I'm looking at, they have reasonable sized front gardens, that are hardly used. I keep thinking why don't they put a garage or carport there. It the 8m boundary thing an issue with that, so it's hardstanding only ???.

Talking of garages. Its it just the area I'm looking at (Mount Martha). But you see plenty of car ports on the side or front of house (with very big front yards). but hardly any fully build garages (is 3 solid walls and a door). Is it just not the done thing for some reason ??:eek:

Thanks it's clearer now. But now I'm wondering about another issue that came to mind. All along the street I'm looking at, they have reasonable sized front gardens, that are hardly used. I keep thinking why don't they put a garage or carport there. It the 8m boundary thing an issue with that, so it's hardstanding only ???.

Talking of garages. Its it just the area I'm looking at (Mount Martha). But you see plenty of car ports on the side or front of house (with very big front yards). but hardly any fully build garages (is 3 solid walls and a door). Is it just not the done thing for some reason ??:eek:

Cost and apathy probably. There's likely a big shed out the back so the blokes will be happy. With a car port your car is protected from the elements but you don't have all that faffing about with opening doors etc (tongue in cheek!). No reason really.

Cost and apathy probably. There's likely a big shed out the back so the blokes will be happy. With a car port your car is protected from the elements but you don't have all that faffing about with opening doors etc (tongue in cheek!). No reason really.

And if you look hard at some of 'em, you might see that a few have converted the garage to another bedroom and stuck a car port in lieu............quite common round here when in a good positive equity position.