Car buying, what do I need to know?

MovingtoTasmania

As some of you may be aware, I'm coming over soon.

We will need a car, but I don't want to blow too much of the budget on one. For me, a pair of roller skates would suffice :wink: but the OH isn't going for that.

What do I need to know before buying? What comebacks are there, if any, if the car breaks down half way down the road after I've parted with my hard earned cash?

Is it better to buy from a dealer or privately. I've been having a look on Gumtree and also another website. I've noticed some interesting cars for under $1000, albeit very old ones.

Come on guys, give me some guidance here. I've only ever bought brand new cars before............

As some of you may be aware, I'm coming over soon.

We will need a car, but I don't want to blow too much of the budget on one. For me, a pair of roller skates would suffice :wink: but the OH isn't going for that.

What do I need to know before buying? What comebacks are there, if any, if the car breaks down half way down the road after I've parted with my hard earned cash?

Is it better to buy from a dealer or privately. I've been having a look on Gumtree and also another website. I've noticed some interesting cars for under $1000, albeit very old ones.

Come on guys, give me some guidance here. I've only ever bought brand new cars before............

First decide on usage eg ute, SUV, runabout etc. Then think about petrol or diesel or LPG, manual or auto, 2 or 4 doors, how many seats required, will it be used for towing etc. Budget, how long will you keep it and anything else. Forget Euro crap, it just doesn't cut it here and service costs aren't funny.

Buy Australian, Japanese or Korean....forget European.......they are expensive to insure, expensive to maintain and do not have the reliability of the three I mentioned.....have a look at carsales.com.au plenty of filters to sort out what you want if you buy private just remember that Latin phrase "caveat emptor"

Sir Les, did you get my PM?

Thanks Sir Les. If I buy from a dealer, is there usually a warranty that comes with the car? I know there's no MOT but does the car have anything to say it's roadworthy?

some dealers may offer warranty (3 or 12 months)...and depending on the age of the car some may still be covered by factory warranty.......if you go onto the website I posted and look in the comments section it may tell you what warranty is left (factory)...Hyundai's and Mitsubishi's for example come with 5 years factory warranty so a 2011 will have around two years factory warranty remaining.

some dealers may offer warranty (3 or 12 months)...and depending on the age of the car some may still be covered by factory warranty.......if you go onto the website I posted and look in the comments section it may tell you what warranty is left (factory)...Hyundai's and Mitsubishi's for example come with 5 years factory warranty so a 2011 will have around two years factory warranty remaining.

I can only speak for Qld and every car when sold must have a roadworthy certificate......out of touch with the requirements in other states.

Thanks Sir Les. If I buy from a dealer, is there usually a warranty that comes with the car? I know there's no MOT but does the car have anything to say it's roadworthy?

Used car statutory warranty

Applies to all dealer-sold passenger cars with less than 160,000km and under 10 years old and not exceeding the luxury car tax threshold. The warranty is valid for three months or 5,000km from date of purchase. This warranty will cover most items on a car relating to safety, reliability and roadworthiness. Extended warranties can be added by a dealership or purchased separately.

Buy a new car if you can. You can get a new Kia Rio for under $15,000 and you get a seven year unlimited kilometre warranty, seven year roadside assist and seven year fixed price servicing. We bought a Korean car for our daughter's first car 10 years ago and she hasn't had a problem with it.

There's a thing called a pink slip which is like the MOT. Once the car is a certain age, it can't be registered without one.

You can get the NRMA (equivalent of the AA) to inspect the car - costs money of course, but I'd do it if I was buying second-hand, and I think it's even more important if you're new to the country and not familiar with things:

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/motorserve/car-services/vehicle-inspection.htm

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/buy-sell/buying-advice/new-used/used-cars/checklist.htm

There's a thing called a pink slip which is like the MOT. Once the car is a certain age, it can't be registered without one.

You can get the NRMA (equivalent of the AA) to inspect the car -

Car registration is a state responsibility and varies between states. I may be wrong but I think the "pink slip" is a NSW feature and may not exist in Western Australia? It certainly doesn't in my state.

Unless one of you is very mechanically savvy, I would be wary of buying privately and would stick with a dealer with some sort of warranty.

The WA equivalent of the New South Wales NRMA mentioned above is the RAC. They will do a pre purchase inspection for you.

http://rac.com.au/motoring/auto-services/vehicle-inspection

Thank you all for your help and tips.

Sir Les, I did have a look at that site. Thank you.

Lambeth lad, I don't really want to spend that much on a car initially until I know where we stand in terms of jobs etc. I was thinking more along the lines of $1,000-2,000 just to start us off and if it's good for a few years, then all good but I will definitely take Skani and Marisa's advice and get the car checked over first and also I think I will buy from a dealer.

That link that Sir Les provided does have some cheap cars from dealers on it and once I arrive, I will definitely go and have a look.

In total, I am only budgeting $6k for what I will need, including rent/bond, car, bits of furniture. I am a woman of few needs (I hope my husband doesn't read this!!) and bearing in mind that we will, for all intents and purposes be new migrants, I see no point in splashing cash about needlessly.

Thank goodness I know a million different ways with dhaal...........

Thank you all for your help and tips.

Sir Les, I did have a look at that site. Thank you.

Lambeth lad, I don't really want to spend that much on a car initially until I know where we stand in terms of jobs etc. I was thinking more along the lines of $1,000-2,000 just to start us off and if it's good for a few years, then all good but I will definitely take Skani and Marisa's advice and get the car checked over first and also I think I will buy from a dealer.

That link that Sir Les provided does have some cheap cars from dealers on it and once I arrive, I will definitely go and have a look.

In total, I am only budgeting $6k for what I will need, including rent/bond, car, bits of furniture. I am a woman of few needs (I hope my husband doesn't read this!!) and bearing in mind that we will, for all intents and purposes be new migrants, I see no point in splashing cash about needlessly.

Thank goodness I know a million different ways with dhaal...........

Some may say otherwise but I would be surprised if any car from a dealer less than $2,000 carried much, if any warranty. Tbh if I was spending that little (and even though I am not mechanically minded) I would probably look at the private sellers too as you will have more to choose from and use my instincts about the seller (as well as carry out the checks previously mentioned).

Think about car dealers selling cars in UK for £500-£1000; I suspect it is similar. In the UK I would definitely look at private sellers at that end of the market.

In the UK larger dealers take in older trade-ins and sell them on to small dealers for very little who then have to add a margin.

Thank you both. I might have to up my thinking on the budget for a car then. I'm just being miserly really, not wanting to spend any money but once we are settled with jobs, I won't mind so much. It's with the not knowing of how long jobs are likely to take. At least I will have transport when I first arrive so I suppose there's no rush really to get a car and we will be living quite central in Perth, around Mount Lawley so it just depends on where our jobs are, assuming we will both work, maybe one will stay home at first to settle kids in etc. A lot to think about really.

Hi @Metoo, yes, we have sold finally. It's been a long year, well 11 months but we have done it finally!! And for the asking price, although that's not saying much as we knocked £20k off and then they tried to haggle but we were firm so it's all systems go. We got the offer Monday night, yesterday the solicitor sent all the forms that needed filling in and hubby took them in to the solicitors this morning as we filled them in last night. So everything done from our side and just the searches, survey if they bother with one and then we will be all done :jiggy:.

I had a bit of a wobble on Tuesday night but I'm calmer now and we are going. I really feel for you and I hope that it sells soon. It's awful waiting for it to happen :hug:

Just remember the hard lesson (at least in Sydney!). Used car salesmen are the same the world over, two minutes of conversation and you feel like you need a bath! don't let the friendly Aussie accent fool you, they're just as crooked rip off merchants as in the UK, except here they think the world owes them a living! .

Source: personal experience having bought 3 cars in Sydney in the last 9 months from dealers.

Also, what is it with cars never having any history?!?!?! 150k and no service history or a 70k gap between oil changes?

You can tell I've had great experiences buying my cars, had to take a ford dealer to fairtrading, and return a honda for warranty repairs.

Just remember the hard lesson (at least in Sydney!). Used car salesmen are the same the world over, two minutes of conversation and you feel like you need a bath! don't let the friendly Aussie accent fool you, they're just as crooked rip off merchants as in the UK, except here they think the world owes them a living! .

Source: personal experience having bought 3 cars in Sydney in the last 9 months from dealers.

Also, what is it with cars never having any history?!?!?! 150k and no service history or a 70k gap between oil changes?

You can tell I've had great experiences buying my cars, had to take a ford dealer to fairtrading, and return a honda for warranty repairs.

You purchased vehicles without checking the service history first and not once but twice! Faark me where do muppets like you come from?

You purchased vehicles without checking the service history first and not once but twice! Faark me where do muppets like you come from?

"Muppets" like me buy cars with full service histories that turn out to have falsified records, hence why the dealer took the car back when fairtrading were involved to avoid court. The joys of arriving with a week to find a car, accommodation before starting the job I got before I decided to move here!

The faulty car was a repair under the 3 month/5,000km warranty in NSW (and probably elsewhere).

The 150k no service and 70k between ol changes were both examples of cars they attempted to tell me were fine BEFORE i bought my car!

I could ask where do keyboard warriors like you come from, but sadly, I know! I'd imagine..IT services, and a massive hobby onanist to boot? (sorry mods, had to be said, there's too many gobby jocks on here sometimes!)

The advice was for the OP, do not be drawn in by the nice friendly accent, car dealers here are as crooked as everywhere else!

I'd consider buying a brand new car now we're settled as the fixed price servicing and no abuse by thing wearing locals is a bonus, stick to japanese or korean motors as they last well and are cheaper to run and service here.

Archived