uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok first off. I don't know what Work for the Dole is - I assume its some form of govt scheme where I work for benefits. Question: what kind of work do they do? How many get jobs at the end of it? What new meaningful skills will I have gained? I suspect if it is what I think it is then we'll both know the answers to those questions. I need a job with a pay packet or some form of meaningful training that will actually lead to a job. What I don't need is a worthless govt training scheme with nothing at the end.

Have to say I don't really think you are serious about wanting to work.

All I am hearing is excuses.

Have you requested centerlink to change your provider ? No obviously.

Anyway if you want a job, you need to do the things that will lead to a job. Not make excuses.

I can't understand why I can't get assistance to go to Uni. That seems really unfair.
Sorry but now you are sounding like a spoiled child, they are not just refusing you! No one gets it unless they are a citizen, I know you have had a hard time but come on some of these posts are really looking for sympathy now. You obviously now have somewhere to live and some kind of income assistance. There is bound to be something you can do, especially at this time of year. Aus Post is forever advertising here just now for posties, shops looking for casuals. There are a lot of over 50's working in shops so dont try and say employers dont give jobs to older people. If you come across at job interviews as negative as you are no here, no wonder you are getting nowhere.

I hear you but I can't try any more. Three years of trying and it hasn't worked. I remember last year I asked on here if anyone would give me a job. No one would. All folk did was criticise. I've lowered my standards, I've forgotten my dreams and I've left what's left of my pride at the door but still no one wants to know. I'm resigned to just sitting here kinda just waiting to die really.

When are you eligible for citizenship?

Actually, Im on my third provider. I have alerts set up on all the major job sites and if you read above you'll see that I have actually been for an interview as recently as three weeks ago and had a telephone interview only 10 days ago. I think you need to stop reading between the lines and back off with your criticism because its misplaced. Would I have gone to TAFE if I wasn't serious, would I be so desperate to go to Uni if I wasn't serious. Would I have specifically have requested weekly meeting with Rocky Bay instead of fortnightly if I wasn't serious? There's no excuses here I can assure you. Do you think I want to live in poverty?

Ahh, I see. Ok, no I'm 176 perm but my ex who was the primary applicant walked out Feb last year and went home with everything. So I'm stuck.

I am not sure what the job situation is like where you are in Victoria but there has to be some job you can do to get some cash. If you were here in Perth northern suburbs our local liquor store was needing staff and the pizza place needed a delivery driver. Sadly the Uni thing is a no go if you don't have the cash.

Print out 50 resumes and walk the street handing them out to smaller business'.

I don't doubt that you have had a hard time and that you have gone some way to try and help yourself - but there is a lot of self pity in what you are saying. I think your in need of some positive thinking! You are skilled - you have the work experience - you have plenty of years left for a career (especially in psych where im pretty sure the average age of a psychologist is around 50). You can get a job!

Can you not look at TAFE courses that actually interest you. There are lots of TAFE courses you can do that are heavily related to psychology. Research all the colleges and email them and ask if they will allow you to do a payment plan.

I know when I was in Australia looking at counselling there was a college that offered monthly payment plans.

http://www.aipc.net.au/

http://www.acap.edu.au/

http://www.opencolleges.edu.au/courses/counselling/

Doing a diploma might be enough to get you a job in the field and you can then study part time to get fully qualified a a psychologist. Once you get a job you will also no doubt have better access to loans for furthering your education.

I thought you mentioned something about having a multimedia business back in Glasgow? Is there not something you can do in Australia with those skills to get some money coming in? There may be grants available for you to start a small business.

But stay positive - it's not over and you have plenty of time to get back on track!

Thanks for the info. Appreciated. I did look at the Relationships Australia course only today but its $3k and no financial help. To be recognized by the psychology council I'd need a two year counseling diploma $$$$ and of course no help. I really have looked into in some depth. My only chance I think would be a job with a sympathetic employer who might pay for training, but I know that's unlikely!

Study part time and work part time. It is possible and lots of students do that. It's tough, but there is a solution. Then in 15 months time become a citizen and start your studies full time. A plan of action now would be to save as much as you can and apply for entry into semester 2 at Murdoch, pay for one unit.

I highly recommend that you only start part time anyway, as after a break from study, one unit will ease you back in. Contact Murdoch University again and ask to speak to an adviser at the student centre.

You will also get recognition for previous study which will most likely shorten your course.

Edited by Sammy1

I get what you are saying. But like I said, do one of the courses above to get your foot in the door and then concentrate on becoming fully qualified when you can get a loan or have citizenship by then (15 months isnt a long time - even if you can get a crappy full time job for 15 months and then enrol in uni after you have citizenship). I said, I know for a fact that you can get monthly payment plans as I was looking at it myself - so contact the colleges that do psychology and ask them - just like I did.

What about the multimedia business you had?

What about printing out resumes and handing them out?

Does anyone know why permanent resident holders can't get help with fees? Apparently humanitarian visa holders can. I can't see another way to get the skills I need.

Part of it is the method of repayment. Perm visa holders are not always here on a perm basis (despite the name). Once they leave the country the legalities around HECS is that the Australian government cannot pursue the debt if you move overseas (unlike similar loan schemes used in the US). So the fear would be that people would come here on a PR with no desire to work, study a degree and then leave the country. If you plan to live here you become a citizen and then can get free education...and really he delay is only 3 years if you stay in country the whole time...not enough time for the government to worry about changing the laws. In the scheme of unfairness...NZers who have lived here for 10 years don't have access to HECS either and they have contributed far more to the economy that someone only here for a couple.

Looking at at other countries, Australia allows its citizens to get access to the loans even if you have lived outside the country for a couple of years...something the UK does not allow (and charge international rates on top of that)..so there are positives and negatives with each countries way of handling loans for education.

I only ever handled the account side of the business, my partner and contractors did the rest of it. I think if I were studying I'd need to do it full time. If I did it part time I'd be mid 50s before I qualified.

I did take my cv to the likes of Woolies and such but they weren't interested. Besides, I have no skills, the first question everyone asks is - what do you do? I can't answer that because, well, I don't know :-/

I only ever handled the account side of the business, my partner and contractors did the rest of it. I think if I were studying I'd need to do it full time. If I did it part time I'd be mid 50s before I qualified.

I did take my cv to the likes of Woolies and such but they weren't interested. Besides, I have no skills, the first question everyone asks is - what do you do? I can't answer that because, well, I don't know :-/

What job have you done all your life?