uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

Hi there guys. Just wondering if anyone can shed light on what financial assistance might be available if I wanted to return to study at University? I'm a 176 visa holder. When I looked on the study assist site it seems to be saying that I would need to pay all my fees up front - presumably that could be $0000s. Here's the quote:

"New Zealand citizens and permanent visa holders enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place must pay their student contribution upfront to their provider by the census date. If their student contribution amount is left unpaid after the census date then a provider must cancel a student’s Commonwealth supported place."

I'm confused.

Can anyone shed light on what might be available? I'm on Newstart and got no savings.

Cheers

Alan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately yes, you have to be an Australian citizen to be able to access government student loans.

The good news is that you will pay domestic fees, rather than international. Universities require payment at the beginning of each semester.

However, lots of people work and study part time, so it is possible.

Some universities may be a little more flexible and allow a monthly plan if you make a good case - as you are on newstart you have a chance to do that.

There are also scholarships available for PR's.

Damn. Even domestic fees would be a lot. I don't have time to do a part time degree. Anything more than about 50c rules me out! Well, guess that means I won't be going to Uni then. Dammit.

Edit: I've just looked at the fee calculator on the Murdoch Uni site. Am I imagining things or would it actually cost me at least $6.5K per annum even paying domestic rate fees? Surely there must be some financial help available.

I wouldn't be able to claim Newstart because I'd be at Uni more than 15 hours a week, so I'd need to be able to get Austudy (which I assume I would be entitled to???).

I think I might be looking at going back to the UK at this rate as this was really my last hope.

Does anyone have any ideas as to ways around this?

Edited by DisillusionedScot

Damn. Even domestic fees would be a lot. I don't have time to do a part time degree. Anything more than about 50c rules me out! Well, guess that means I won't be going to Uni then. Dammit.

Edit: I've just looked at the fee calculator on the Murdoch Uni site. Am I imagining things or would it actually cost me at least $6.5K per annum even paying domestic rate fees? Surely there must be some financial help available.

I wouldn't be able to claim Newstart because I'd be at Uni more than 15 hours a week, so I'd need to be able to get Austudy (which I assume I would be entitled to???).

I think I might be looking at going back to the UK at this rate as this was really my last hope.

Does anyone have any ideas as to ways around this?

The fees you quoted are pretty normal. I really recommend that you contact the student centre at Murdoch University. They really will be able to help - they are very nice.

Please don't give up on the idea. Are you eligible for citizenship yet? That would obviously help you a whole lot as fees would be deferred and you would not pay anything back until you were earning over $45 000 a year.

You would be eligible for Austudy. Most students work at least part time whilst they are studying anyway and that would also help you.Often part time study, even just one unit to start you off helps ease you back into study after time away.

The fees you quoted are pretty normal. I really recommend that you contact the student centre at Murdoch University. They really will be able to help - they are very nice.

Please don't give up on the idea. Are you eligible for citizenship yet? That would obviously help you a whole lot as fees would be deferred and you would not pay anything back until you were earning over $45 000 a year.

You would be eligible for Austudy. Most students work at least part time whilst they are studying anyway and that would also help you.Often part time study, even just one unit to start you off helps ease you back into study after time away.

Thanks Sammy, but no, I'm not eligible for Citizenship. Part time study isn't an option (I need this qualification as quick as possible). I've emailed Murdoch but all they're saying is that fees have to be paid up front. At this point I couldn't even afford one unit (or even a tenth of one unit!). I can't even afford the TISC fee. I've been trying to get work in Aus since Jan 2012 but I'm not employable.

Going back to Uni was my last hope really. Gutted :-(

Just doesn't seem right.

Thanks Sammy, but no, I'm not eligible for Citizenship. Part time study isn't an option (I need this qualification as quick as possible). I've emailed Murdoch but all they're saying is that fees have to be paid up front. At this point I couldn't even afford one unit (or even a tenth of one unit!). I can't even afford the TISC fee. I've been trying to get work in Aus since Jan 2012 but I'm not employable.

Going back to Uni was my last hope really. Gutted :-(

Just doesn't seem right.

What's the qualification you want to get? TAFE may be the way to start for you. There are Job Service Providers's that can help pay fees for certain courses at TAFE, it would be a small step, but it would be a start.

As you have PR, it could be that you do start off part time at TAFE and make a plan that you go full time to university once you can obtain citizenship.

Edited by Sammy1

What's the qualification you want to get? TAFE may be the way to start for you. There are Job Service Providers 's that can help pay fees for certain courses at TAFE, it would be a small step, but it would be a start.

As you have PR, it could be that you do start off part time at TAFE and make a plan that you go full time to university once you can obtain citizenship.

Hi Sammy, I've just done a Cert IV TAE40110 (Training and Assessment). I already have two degrees from the UK (which aren't recognised here). I have an extensive background in therapy and counselling (again not recognised here), so, I wanted to do the Psychology course at Murdoch: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Courses/Social-and-Developmental-Psychology/

Really don't want to do any more TAFE courses as they're not doing me any good - got no 'currency' in anything. I need the degree course in order to be recognised by the psychology council, without that I'm, well, stuffed really. My age is catching up on me *fast* hence the need to get back to Uni full time.

I'm still a long way from citizenship so that's no help.

Pretty grim situation really.

Are you still involved with mental health services? I ask because some places have links with ORS programmes and can assist people getting back to work. Where I work, we have a partnership with a service provider and can refer people to it - they are supported in finding employment.

Are you still involved with mental health services? I ask because some places have links with ORS programmes and can assist people getting back to work. Where I work, we have a partnership with a service provider and can refer people to it - they are supported in finding employment.

Hi Ali, I see an employment counsellor from Rocky Bay employment services each week, but tbh, it's a complete waste of time. They offer nothing. It was the same when I was in Melbourne (they persuaded me to do the TAE course because they had an employer interested), the truth was it was a quick way for them to record a result and there was no employer interest at the end of it. The only thing I've been offered is sorting rubbish. Seriously.

I've looked into going back to Scotland but I'm barred from benefits for six months and I no longer have any local connections so I'd literally be be out on the streets. Not got money to go back now anyway (ex partner took everything last year and has now gone back to the UK). No relatives there either. And my passport has expired (but not my visa). Yeah, caught between a rock and a hard place.

Going back to Uni would have at least kept me occupied and may even have led to some sort of career at the end of it. Just can't get a break.

:unsure:

Hi DS,ok I'm going to suggest something,but it probably won't help you with uni,but it will get you back to the UK.So you were offered a job "sorting rubbish"Why did'nt you take that?My aussie nephew went off travelling and when he returned to Oz,he literally could only get a job sorting rubbish.That was 2 yrs ago!And where is he now?Works for a big company in San Francisco,designing solar panels!Yes he had a degree from uni before that but.......atleast he was working!

So my suggestion to you is get yourself a job,even if it is just "sorting rubbish"because at the end of the day,employers would rather see something on your cv than nothing.Start saving,in the meantime,you'll be closer to getting citizenship,and you'll have choices.With no job your choices are limited.

Sorting rubbish isnt going to happen. I live in secret harbour the company is in Perth. I'd spend more on travel than I'd probably earn. I assume you aussie nephew has a degree in electrical engineering with CAD? If I had that would I be unemployed? No. I sure wouldn't. Anyway this is ofg6 topic. I need to find a way into Uni. It's the only way I can get qualified. I've tried to get a job for nearly three years now and no one will take me on. I'm nearly 50 so options are very limited.

The degree I think was environmental studies,the point I was making was he chose to do "Any job"rather than none.Have you got a car?If so why not hit the harvest trail and work over summer travelling/saving?What about bar type work?

Melza, I appreciate what you're saying but a. I don't have a car and b. I can't do physical work any more. I had a small heart attack last year and I have a number of other health problems that effectively mean my days of physical labour are well and truly over. Right now I can just about make it to Woolies and back (maybe a couple of hundred metres). I've never worked in a bar in my life and I don't have an RSA. And I'm teetotal so not an ideal candidate for that.

I'm nearly 50, I have no savings, no pension, no car and I'm living in a box room, I suffer from high BP, differential arterial weakness on the right side, I have partial kidney failure and I have major depression for which I'm on a lot of medication and I've been diagnosed with BPD. On top of all that none of my qualifications or experience are recognised in Australia. I can't even get volunteer work doing what I used to do.

I need to get back to Uni to get a qualification that's going to allow me to make a career. No one (in their right mind) would employ me, I wouldn't employ me! Without that qualification that I know I can do I'm pretty much stuffed. I'm effectively rotting away here. I see no one other than my house mate from day to day, week to week, this is a living death.

Ok I think I remember you from old posts.So please forgive me,did'nt realise the extent of your problems.So you get into uni somehow,you said yourself no one will give you a job,so after uni,without sounding pessimistic (more out of curiosity)with your health problems,is anyone going to offer you a job?Will it be a waste of time going to uni hon?

No I know hon,must be very depressing.So whats the plan if uni does'nt happen?Can you offer your services voluntarily?Maybe contact some councelling services (Salvo's helpline)or similar organisations?If you could return to the UK,do you think you'd be able to get a job in your chosen field?

No I know hon,must be very depressing.So whats the plan if uni does'nt happen?Can you offer your services voluntarily?Maybe contact some councelling services (Salvo's helpline)or similar organisations?If you could return to the UK,do you think you'd be able to get a job in your chosen field?

Yep. I can't even get voluntary work doing what I used to do. Tried, but they won't have me.

I can't get back to the UK: passport expired, no money, barred from benefits for six months and I'd have nowhere to stay. I couldn't even get into a homeless shelter because you have to have a local connection to the area and I no longer have any - no family left. So, I'm stuck here, no job, no prospects and I can't even try to better myself because I'm not rich enough to get into Uni.

I'm kinda resigned to Uni not happening now. If there's no way in, there's no way in. As to what to do, phew, no idea. Actually, Uni was my last idea. Honestly, I'm pretty scared. I've got no savings left, no pension either. If I can't do something, or at least be working towards something, and soon, I'm going to be in a fairly bad place.

Hmmmm, lost for ideas now. :eek:

Oh DS,really feel for you!There must be an answer somewhere?How come voluntary services won't accept you?I thought they were supposed to be non discriminatory and so on?:mad:How are you supporting yourself atm?Why are you barred from benefits?(Sorry,you don't have to answer these questions,just trying to get a better idea whats happening?)

Oh DS,really feel for you!There must be an answer somewhere?How come voluntary services won't accept you?I thought they were supposed to be non discriminatory and so on?:mad:How are you supporting yourself atm?Why are you barred from benefits?(Sorry,you don't have to answer these questions,just trying to get a better idea whats happening?)

I can't get into voluntary work doing what I used to do because the various services take their volunteers from the NDRI counselling course. I tried to get on to the counselling course but demand is such that it appears to be booked solid until hell freezes over so that's out.

I get Newstart benefit here, but if I went back to the UK I'd be barred. I looked into this and contacted Glasgow Social Work who's advice was, 'stay where you are'. I'm really rotting away here. I'm living in a box room with no hope. If I can't get into Uni then, well, I don't see any other solution. :-(

Don't give up DS,it might seem insurmountable right now but it won't always be,and yes I can say that because many moons ago I had to leave my house/belongings and move to a womens shelter with two small kids!Not pretty!Have you applied for social housing?I know the waiting lists are quite long but as you're alone,you might be lucky.Maybe post a thread asking other PIO'ers if they or they know anyone who could offer you a job.Might not be in your chosen field but there must be something you can do.

Don't give up DS,it might seem insurmountable right now but it won't always be,and yes I can say that because many moons ago I had to leave my house/belongings and move to a womens shelter with two small kids!Not pretty!Have you applied for social housing?I know the waiting lists are quite long but as you're alone,you might be lucky.Maybe post a thread asking other PIO'ers if they or they know anyone who could offer you a job.Might not be in your chosen field but there must be something you can do.

Hmmm, social housing. I did ask about it. As a single male I would be put on the waiting list. The current wait for a single male is approx....20 years. I'll be dead before I get a house. Last year I was homeless and slept in an old car with my old dog for a while, not good.

I would post another thread but the last time I did that I don't think people appreciated it so I'll pass, reluctantly. Besides, what would I do? All I want to do is to go to Uni and make a life for myself.

Have you considered going to the British Consulate, or at least contacting them and asking them to send you back to the UK? I hear what you say about having no family here but surely, even with no family, you will be better off as your qualifications are recognised and you might be able to get a job.

I hear what you say about physical labour but what about a job on the tills at the supermarket? That's sitting down. Admin work, answering the phone, call centre jobs. All jobs that don't require lots of moving about.

I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but there are jobs that you can do, even in bad health, like the ones above. I feel also that your depression is contributing to the negativity you feel. Even if you got in to Uni, you would be 3-4 older than you are now and no guarantee of a job but a lot of debt to have hanging over your head.

Hi, yeah my name is down for Woolies, Coles and Bunnings but they seem more picky than I had imagined. I have been to the consulate in Perth and could get an emergency passport, but I guess Im frightened about what would happen at the other end. I'd have nowhere to go. I don't think you're right about my depression contributing I have to say. It is what it is really. I attend my employment consultant every week, I have alerts set up on all the major job sites which come through daily. And I have even had the occasional interview. I do hear what you're saying about the debt but I figured it would be a while before I earned enough to start paying it back, so was more interested in just doing something that im interested in and would help. My housemate works in Woolies and even she can't get me in. Maybe I should just accept that my working life is actually over and I'll never have anything more than benefits? I've been trying for almost three years and just can't get anyone to take me on. I'm out of ideas now if im honest, seems like I can't even do anything to help myself out of this mess :-/