This is a really random situation, but need some help please.

adele244

We have a great business here and we have decided on a 2-5 year plan to sell the business up sticks and "live the dream" (hopefully!) we would love to have a similar business in Oz eventually, although hubby will have to find employment prior to this until we find our feet I would imagine.

I'd third (or is it fourth or fifth?) the use of an agent. I didn't use an agent myself and always thought they were a bit unnecessary, but if you've got a complicated or uncertain case, I think you'd be mad not to use one. However I also think it's important to work out whether your plan is 2 years or 5 years: if it's 5 years, I'd wait two or three years before applying because rules can change an awful lot in that time, and you'll waste your money.

I know it sounds harsh, but if Australia is a 'dream' then you almost certainly have an unrealistic picture. Australia has changed a huge amount since I arrived: it used to be a land of opportunity, where you could afford a nice house with a big garden, build your own successful business or get that dream job. But these days, the employment market is tight, salaries sound good but the cost of living offsets them, and house prices have risen dramatically in most cities.

You're not going to have any more free time in Australia compared to the UK - in fact in some cities you're likely to have less, because of the long commute.

Not saying you wouldn't be happy here, but it is important to do your research, and work out how your expectations compare with the reality. Maybe you'd like to share what you're hoping to get from Australia? It's a big step to emigrate and even more so if you're going to give up a successful business to do so.

I'd third (or is it fourth or fifth?) the use of an agent. I didn't use an agent myself and always thought they were a bit unnecessary, but if you've got a complicated or uncertain case, I think you'd be mad not to use one. However I also think it's important to work out whether your plan is 2 years or 5 years: if it's 5 years, I'd wait two or three years before applying because rules can change an awful lot in that time, and you'll waste your money.

I know it sounds harsh, but if Australia is a 'dream' then you almost certainly have an unrealistic picture. Australia has changed a huge amount since I arrived: it used to be a land of opportunity, where you could afford a nice house with a big garden, build your own successful business or get that dream job. But these days, the employment market is tight, salaries sound good but the cost of living offsets them, and house prices have risen dramatically in most cities.

You're not going to have any more free time in Australia compared to the UK - in fact in some cities you're likely to have less, because of the long commute.

Not saying you wouldn't be happy here, but it is important to do your research, and work out how your expectations compare with the reality. Maybe you'd like to share what you're hoping to get from Australia? It's a big step to emigrate and even more so if you're going to give up a successful business to do so.

Hi Marisa,

Of course I don't mind sharing..... My hope is for us to eventually have set up the same business we have here but over there. The main 2 reasons for the move is A: My children's quality of life, I'm hoping that they can be outdoors a lot more rather than inside. The other reason is I do suffer from seasonal adjustment, it is now dark at 5pm and every single year it happens, I put on about a stone in weight and just wish the next 6 months away eagerly awaiting for summer. In reality I am wishing half of my flipping life away!!!!

I really do understand that it will not be a dream, we will probably work just as hard if not harder over there, but it will be under a blue sky and sunshine and when the works finished we can play outside with the children. Well that's what is in my minds eye anyway.

We would 100% use an agent! when I have looked on the SOL list, I can see at least a couple of trades that my husbands work could fall under, so we would need help deciding that and that is just the first hurdle!!!!

Thanks for the advice Marisa x x x x

Sydney and Melbourne still have winters and they can be very gloomy without Christmas to cheer them up. In Melbourne in winter, it is dark from about 5pm too. If you are wanting all year round sunshine then that might push you towards WA or Qld. I'm not convinced about the outdoors lifestyle for kids. In my experience (and YMMV), kids spend all their time indoors on computers because it is too hot, too cold, too wet (it rains a lot). Even then, there isn't so much of a culture of just calling round on friends; playdates have to be organised a long time in advance and planned with military precision. Despite the image on Neighbours, people do seem to be quite uptight.

The main 2 reasons for the move is A: My children's quality of life, I'm hoping that they can be outdoors a lot more rather than inside. The other reason is I do suffer from seasonal adjustment, it is now dark at 5pm and every single year it happens, I put on about a stone in weight and just wish the next 6 months away eagerly awaiting for summer. In reality I am wishing half of my flipping life away!!!!

I really do understand that it will not be a dream, we will probably work just as hard if not harder over there, but it will be under a blue sky and sunshine and when the works finished we can play outside with the children. Well that's what is in my minds eye anyway.

The funny thing is that Australian children tend not to play outside as much as you'd think - we're all so worried about skin cancer. The risk of skin cancer here is about three times the risk in the UK, and it's now thought that sun exposure during childhood is one of the biggest contributing factors. Go to the beach and you'll see all the kids in full rash suits, not swimsuits. The UV factor throughout the mainland is "Extreme" from about 10am to 2pm all through summer, and the official advice from the World Health Organisation is not to venture out in Extreme UV at all, even with sunscreen on! The UK and most of Europe never get anywhere near Extreme, even on a bright sunny day.

I can understand you yearning for brighter weather if you get SAD, though.

The funny thing is that Australian children tend not to play outside as much as you'd think - we're all so worried about skin cancer. The risk of skin cancer here is about three times the risk in the UK, and it's now thought that sun exposure during childhood is one of the biggest contributing factors. Go to the beach and you'll see all the kids in full rash suits, not swimsuits. The UV factor throughout the mainland is "Extreme" from about 10am to 2pm all through summer, and the official advice from the World Health Organisation is not to venture out in Extreme UV at all, even with sunscreen on! The UK and most of Europe never get anywhere near Extreme, even on a bright sunny day.

I can understand you yearning for brighter weather if you get SAD, though.

Sorry but don't agree with most of this post. We have two boys, one was 2 when we came the other was born here. They played outside loads when they were young and spent absolutely loads of time at the beach. We all did and do as a family. We had the kids in rash vests and suncream but when they get a bit older they see their mates in just bathers and they just wear suncream. Try getting a 15 year old boy who's discovered girls into a rashie:laugh:. Same with the girls, they are in the skimpiest costumes imaginable. I know we are in Perth and Marisa is in Sydney but I don't think it's any different there, we watch Bondi rescue and don't see the packed beach there covered in kids with rashies on.

The kids very rarely get sunburnt though as they are pretty serious about wearing sunscreen and they know they are going to be out in the sun and at the beach all summer. So there's no point in going mad and spending 8 hours in the sun, like you do when you go on holiday from the UK. We have family from the UK visit us and have problems getting them to use anything above factor 4 that they've brought from the UK.:laugh: We generally use minimum factor 30.

Sorry but don't agree with most of this post.

And I don't agree with your post. You cite a sample size of one (your family) augmented by having watched Bondi Rescue (on your outdoor TV set?). But the independent evidence is that Outdoors Australia is a myth - e.g. http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/children-dont-come-out-and-play/story-e6frer7o-1226086750845?nk=f45acfe0013b1aa6fe1b610401dfad2b

Obvo, individual families may be outdoorsy - but the chances are that they would have been outdoorsy wherever they lived. Moving to Australia does not transform couch potatoes into backwoodsmen and sportsmen.

Your minimum factor 30 made me smile since, until a couple of years ago, that was the maximum that was allowed to be sold in Australia.

And I don't agree with your post. You cite a sample size of one (your family) augmented by having watched Bondi Rescue (on your outdoor TV set?). But the independent evidence is that Outdoors Australia is a myth - e.g. http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/children-dont-come-out-and-play/story-e6frer7o-1226086750845?nk=f45acfe0013b1aa6fe1b610401dfad2b

Obvo, individual families may be outdoorsy - but the chances are that they would have been outdoorsy wherever they lived. Moving to Australia does not transform couch potatoes into backwoodsmen and sportsmen.

Your minimum factor 30 made me smile since, until a couple of years ago, that was the maximum that was allowed to be sold in Australia.

And you quote an article that is comparing one generation with the next and come to the conclusion that a generation ago more kids played outdoors and climbed trees. I don't think they needed qualified researchers to realise that. A generation ago there were no computer games, mobile phones, internet to waste time indoors on. It was play outside with your mates or be bored. These days kids have too many reasons to stay indoors and don't get bored. No wonder there are serious problems with obesity, not just in Aus either, it's all over the world where kids have access to technology and the internet.

I think my kids. me and the wife would have been less oudoorsy had we stayed in the UK. We were fairly outdoorsy folk as the UK went. I played soccer every weekend, went running, played squash. My wife did a few organised runs too. The weather used to put us off a lot of the time though and we didn't live near the coast.

Just the simple fact that the weather is better and we live 5 minutes from the beach means we are outdoors here more with more to do when we are outdoors. Our rellies in the UK aren't particularly outdoorsy people when they are at home but when they were out here on holiday they were spending the majority of time outside down the beach mostly. Like most people do when they go on holiday to Spain or Greece or something.

It's important to pick your neighbourhood to find one that will give you that kind of lifestyle, if that's what you are looking for and expecting. No sense in going to live 20 Km's inland thinking you will get the kids to the beach every weekend. It doesn't happen.

And you quote an article that is comparing one generation with the next and come to the conclusion that a generation ago more kids played outdoors and climbed trees. I don't think they needed qualified researchers to realise that.

Here's another report that suggests the problem is structural, not just about alternative choices. http://treeday.planetark.org/documents/doc-1053-planet-ark-media-release---outdoor-nation-no-longer-reality-1st-july-2013.pdf

UV is only a problem during the days in high summer, and is long gone well before sunset so you can go out without block earlier or later. There is no UV issue here in Adelaide at all for the winter half of the year either. I personally find it a pain, but others get along just fine with it - wearing block and a hat is really no more of a hassle than wearing gloves/scarf/coat/hat in the sleet or snow. The thing that can be a real​ pain though is the flies and mozzies, but I won't bring them up.......

Here's another report that suggests the problem is structural, not just about alternative choices. http://treeday.planetark.org/documents/doc-1053-planet-ark-media-release---outdoor-nation-no-longer-reality-1st-july-2013.pdf

The first one quoted the same report and research. Both Planet Ark. I'd like a job with them researching the obvious and being paid for it.:laugh:

The first one quoted the same report and research. Both Planet Ark. I'd like a job with them researching the obvious and being paid for it.:laugh:

They are different reports. The first one was dated 2011 and the second was dated 2013. Although the overall conclusion about less outdoors activity is common, the second one is novel in relating it to decreasing sizes of gardens. Yes, it may all be obvious, but it is surprising how many posters on PIO seem to believe, nevertheless, that Australia's outdoors lifestyle will make a better life for the kids.

Well it certainly will be a major improvement on the UK but times have changed.

When I was a kid I was always playing football (soccer) in the back yard and riding my bike all over the place.

These days it can be hard getting the kids off the xbox and computer and go outside.

My youngest does love going to the skatepark with his skateboard and does spend a fair bit of time outdoors.

They are different reports. The first one was dated 2011 and the second was dated 2013. Although the overall conclusion about less outdoors activity is common, the second one is novel in relating it to decreasing sizes of gardens. Yes, it may all be obvious, but it is surprising how many posters on PIO seem to believe, nevertheless, that Australia's outdoors lifestyle will make a better life for the kids.

But it can if you pick the suburb you live well and show a bit of initiative as a parent then it can.

If kids have parents who never go out and do sport, sit inside playing on their mobiles and laptops, have TV on with a laptop or ipad sat on their knee, take one to bed, hardly speak to your other half or the kids because you face is buried in your mobile, checking twitter and facebook to see what a great life your "friends" are having (funny how no-one seems to be struggling to pay bills, having a crap day on facebook) then the kids will likely be the same.

If you get out yourself, have a few sports you have a go at, join the local surf club, footy club, cricket club, squash club, swim club then it's highly likely the kids will do the same.

The outdoor lifestyle is still there for a lot of people, it's not disappeared and the beaches round us are just as packed as ever. A lot more packed than when we came here in 92 just beacuse so many people have moved here. A lot of them for the outdoor lifestyle.

Sorry but don't agree with most of this post. We have two boys, one was 2 when we came the other was born here. They played outside loads when they were young and spent absolutely loads of time at the beach. We all did and do as a family. We had the kids in rash vests and suncream but when they get a bit older they see their mates in just bathers and they just wear suncream. Try getting a 15 year old boy who's discovered girls into a rashie:laugh:. Same with the girls, they are in the skimpiest costumes imaginable. I know we are in Perth and Marisa is in Sydney but I don't think it's any different there, we watch Bondi rescue and don't see the packed beach there covered in kids with rashies on.

The kids very rarely get sunburnt though as they are pretty serious about wearing sunscreen and they know they are going to be out in the sun and at the beach all summer. So there's no point in going mad and spending 8 hours in the sun, like you do when you go on holiday from the UK. We have family from the UK visit us and have problems getting them to use anything above factor 4 that they've brought from the UK.:laugh: We generally use minimum factor 30.

Most of the people on Bondi beach are backpackers! It's the very young kids that I notice parents being ultra-careful with - once they're teenagers I guess there's not much you can do, they'll do their own thing. At that age they don't think the risk of dying at 40 or 50 is a big deal, which is why so many of them smoke.

It's just a fact that the World Health Organisation says you should stay in the shade during Extreme UV periods, if you and your family are happy to take the risk then it's entirely up to you.

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

This extract from ANZSCO is irrelevant to a pre-migration skills assessment in Engineering. It might assist in attracting work experience points, but it might not.

But it can if you pick the suburb you live well and show a bit of initiative as a parent then it can.

If kids have parents who never go out and do sport, sit inside playing on their mobiles and laptops, have TV on with a laptop or ipad sat on their knee, take one to bed, hardly speak to your other half or the kids because you face is buried in your mobile, checking twitter and facebook to see what a great life your "friends" are having (funny how no-one seems to be struggling to pay bills, having a crap day on facebook) then the kids will likely be the same.

But you don't need to move to Australia to do this. My family were more outdoorsy in the UK. I walked up mountains and along towpaths, the eldest one played rugby, the boys walked to school and went to the park. Here it is too hot, too far, too wet.

Oh, and at our pools and beaches, almost everyone wears rashes or tshirts. I am usually alone in not doing so (and I know that makes me the fool).

But you don't need to move to Australia to do this. My family were more outdoorsy in the UK. I walked up mountains and along towpaths, the eldest one played rugby, the boys walked to school and went to the park. Here it is too hot, too far, too wet.

Oh, and at our pools and beaches, almost everyone wears rashes or tshirts. I am usually alone in not doing so (and I know that makes me the fool).

I go to outdoor pools and the beach a lot and I don't see many people over about 10 years old wearing rashies, specially the pool, everyone is in speedos or swimming costumes. You wouldn't catch one kid wearing one in a swim squad, they are more worried about speed.

Sure you don't need to move to Aus. We considered a move down the the South Coast but the lifestyle we have here just isn't available. Even if you get a couple of good summers like the last 2 years the water is still freezing, beaches packed, free parking non-existent and a house like we have within walking distance of say Bournemouth main beach would cost more than the one we have here. I did the walking towpaths, played soccer, cross country running but I was sick of the weather. Our kids always biked to school, go to the park across the road from where we live often. Cricket nets, basketball courts, big oval, footy posts up. Never found it too hot and Perth weather is much more settled and hotter than Melbourne.

Archived