Homesick already!

MelbourneTractor

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burned in Scotland, that's impressive! The most I got in Scotland was a million midge bites on my legs :-)

It's easy when it's nice weather. I stupidly never put any on because you think "ahh it's only Scotland and it's not even that warm". Ended up like a lobster. The midges are definitely a complete nightmare sometimes!

Ah fair point, that partly why I've been so disheartened by getting burned. I'm so careful and do everything you're supposed to and still get burned.

Well without sounding harsh with all the advice given. And doing everything you can to avoid it. In laymens terms you might be better off back in the uk if it is such an issue. Jeez I wish that was my only worry.:arghh:

Are you sure it wasn't just your cheeks redding up from heat as suggested? Find it odd if that's the only bit of you that burnt. Usually it's a bit more than cheeks. Nose will catch, shoulders or feet...

Are you sure it wasn't just your cheeks redding up from heat as suggested? Find it odd if that's the only bit of you that burnt. Usually it's a bit more than cheeks. Nose will catch, shoulders or feet...

I did wonder if my old mirrored pair of oakleys we're intensifying the sun hitting my cheeks and replaced them with a less reflective pair, same problem though.

would my skin dry out through heat alone though?

It can heat up. And when we are hot our cheeks can go red and colour. Also wind can make them go red for a day or two, can be worse if there is sun thrown in. Happens to me from time to time, including today out on the water.

Honestly, I think you are overthinking it a bit atm and jumping into the deep end of the pool in terms of solution.

I did wonder if my old mirrored pair of oakleys we're intensifying the sun hitting my cheeks and replaced them with a less reflective pair, same problem though.

If your skin is going dry it could be a reaction to the sunscreen you are using rather than sunburn as such. My youngest son had a problem with a relation to some sunscreen when we were at the a Gold Coast once - he was fine with the same sunscreen in the UK, but not there. You probably need to experiment a bit with some different sensitive sunscreens for the times you are out for a while and just use a moisturiser with a built in sunscreen for other times.

So after a years planning we arrived in Melbourne in mid-July, I really enjoyed myself in August and most of September and was convinced that we made the right decision to move.

Then I managed to get sunburned (not too badly, just a little red cheeked) the last weekend of September and first weekend of October. Now I'm dreading the Aussie Summer, everyone keeps telling I'm going to get badly burnt this summer and my feeling is that if I spend the whole summer inside or in my shaded garden I might as well have stayed in the UK.

Whats really annoying is that I've followed "Slip, Slap, Slop", worn good quality shades and actively sought shade in the middle of the day and I've still ended up with red cheeks. Also, I've never burned before despite being very outdoorsy and that includes previous trips to Oz and SA.

Sorry.....and I've read the thread top to bottom and you open your thread titled 'Homesick Already'. Homesickness is not a physical thing like worrying about getting burnt, but it is the following -

1. Homesickness is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects.

I'm actually beginning to think this is a wind up the way you come across, or that this is a childish smokescreen hiding the real reasons why your homesick.

Go away and think about it as sunshine and worrying about how you wont get burnt doesn't cut the mustard.

Watch the paper each day for the time when UV is at its highest. I never wear sun screen but then I don't spend a lot of time in the sun. I wear a hat in summer and sun glasses are important. If its windy you will burn more in my experience. Also as your skin is not yet used to Aus bound to burn at first. I wear light long sleeved blouses in the garden in summer rather than sun screen. Find them cooler and of course don't get burnt.

When its very hot you will not want to be out in the sun anyway.

Get a skin check each year and go with the flow.

@Petals

There are weather apps for phones that have constant UV levels throughout the day. I use one and the UV rating is a good thing to have. Though this time of year on, most days once the day gets going it doesn't move from high until evening.

Sorry.....and I've read the thread top to bottom and you open your thread titled 'Homesick Already'. Homesickness is not a physical thing like worrying about getting burnt, but it is the following -

1. Homesickness is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects.

I'm actually beginning to think this is a wind up the way you come across, or that this is a childish smokescreen hiding the real reasons why your homesick.

Go away and think about it as sunshine and worrying about how you wont get burnt doesn't cut the mustard.

Wow, I wish I was as mentally tough as you, worrying about how I wont get burnt and turning down opportunities to do things I enjoy because of it are making me miss my life in the UK. I'm sorry if that reasoning doesn't meet with your satisfaction.

To a certain extent I can sympathise with you. NOT about missing the UK but the anxiety over getting burnt, which I feel is heightening any residual feelings of homesickness and in turn leaving you feeling resentful and frustrated at not being able to partake fully of outdoor activities.

I have a lot of anxiety about my youngest daughter how is so very very fair, extremely pale (think skimmed milk) and I do really worry about her as I don't have a problem in the sun as I'm Asian. I have been doing a lot of reading around this and feel that for her, the best way forward is SPF 50 total sunblock, reapplied every hour or so, long sleeves as suggested by Petals and a huge hat.

For you, I suggest the same but since it's your cheeks, I think it's worth considering alternatives to sunburn such as windburn? Heat as suggested by Snifter? It's not necessarily sunburn. If it is, use sliced fresh tomato or plain natural yogurt to ease it.

Wow, I wish I was as mentally tough as you, worrying about how I wont get burnt and turning down opportunities to do things I enjoy because of it are making me miss my life in the UK. I'm sorry if that reasoning doesn't meet with your satisfaction.

It's got nothing to do with your reasoning meeting my satisfaction, why would it? I'm not the only one who is questioning your post. It's come across as a whinge rather than a coherent objection. You would have done yourself better justice by saying 'How can I deal with exposure to the Sun' or 'Tips on Skin care' something along those lines. Instead you said 'Homesick Already' and moaned about the Sun so what do you expect. Not everyone will tell you get another sunscreen, apply 30 mins before you step outside not a minute after midday, there are people on this site who have openly said they have been unable to get off the kitchen floor for crying, because theyre so homesick and situationally depressed. And your whinging about the Sun and how red your face is and that you might go home. That's not homesickness mate, it's called adapting to your conditions allowing you to do the things you enjoy. Apologies for the baptism of fire, but welcome to the site nonetheless.

So after a years planning we arrived in Melbourne in mid-July, I really enjoyed myself in August and most of September and was convinced that we made the right decision to move.

Then I managed to get sunburned (not too badly, just a little red cheeked) the last weekend of September and first weekend of October. Now I'm dreading the Aussie Summer, everyone keeps telling I'm going to get badly burnt this summer and my feeling is that if I spend the whole summer inside or in my shaded garden I might as well have stayed in the UK.

Whats really annoying is that I've followed "Slip, Slap, Slop", worn good quality shades and actively sought shade in the middle of the day and I've still ended up with red cheeks. Also, I've never burned before despite being very outdoorsy and that includes previous trips to Oz and SA.

The summers in Australia are unpleasant for the main part, I agree, and you will have to learn to manage them in the way immigrants must learn to manage -50 and snowstorms in Manitoba. UV is a problem and so is intense heat, especially at night. Worse, there is no regulation making sure tenants are safe in terms of adequate cooling/heating systems in rental houses and units - some don't even have ceiling fans. I would add that a lot of the "red cheeks" you describe might not be UV damage but simple heat radiation, so long as you are wearing a serious sun block. I only ever use Factor 50, but my main weapon is simply avoiding going out at all during the most intense times.

If you think this is hot, you're going to love December - February, but don't lose heart. Manage it with air-con, ceiling fans, lots of water, good Factor 50, long sleeve shirts, hats, good sunglasses, and most of all using shade wherever you find it.

Doubt if it's the sunglasses. Yes, your skin will dry out through the heat if there's any wind about.

Make sure your sunscreen is 4 hour water resistant even if you're not going in the water.

To be honest it does seem that you're over-reacting a bit -after all you've got slightly sunburnt ONCE, on one small part of your body, and you're extrapolating that to "I can't go out in the sun". I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions, give it another try before making up your mind.

The fact that it's just your cheeks is suspicious, because if you're going to get sunburnt, there are other parts of the body that usually get burnt first (your nose and chin, for instance). It may be heat or wind, or it may be to do with the sunscreen, like you accidentally wiped some of the sunscreen off your face (when wiping your eyes, for example), or even missed applying it in a couple of areas. I burned my cheeks once when I was snorkelling - the mask must've removed the sunscreen on my cheekbones, so they burned when I was walking around afterwards.

In the UK I got burned quite often - once in April on a long sunny chilly day! I was outdoors all the time, walked a great deal and spent a lot of the time at the beach. Here I'm happy to lounge in the shade, feel no yearning to lie in sun whatsoever, wear rash suits and hats in the pool (I'd wear a burka if I could swim in it), stay inside a lot more and don't go to the beach that often. Too hot to walk far in the summer apart from late in the evening. My skin looks pretty good for an old 'un, I have really learned to respect the sun here and wear moisturiser with sunscreen every day (not sticky nasty sun screen). I very rarely see anyone burned here which given the climate really goes to show how educated most Ossies (at least in the city!) are about the danger of the sun. In fact tans look a little odd to me now. Lots of strange orange tans but at least they're not harming their skin.

If you keep burning after 2 months with full factor sun cream.Please ask your G.P for a referral to see a Dermatologist my eldest son is allergic to the sun. Also ask for a Lupus test just to cover everything and to put your mind at rest.

Having spent time in Africa when younger he now has full body block cream and is like a vampire loves nights and Aussie winters.He can still burn with full block walking to his car from work.So we do understand how hard this is for you.

But on a resent trip to the u.k was glad to be home in Oz too much grey sky's in the u.k.

We live in West Sydney so temps mid 30s in spring and can be mid 40s in summer.You will get used to sun cream,trendy hats and loose flowing clothes not forgetting your shades.Good luck.

Archived