help advice needed moving back to uk with 15 year old daughter

scousegirl

Please help!!

Im debating on moving back to the uk. I have been in oz for nearly 2 years and in the 2 years I have been here I have battled constantly with being happy over here there has also been alot of other stuff going on.

My question is has anyone moved back the uk with 15 year old? im worried im about to ruin her future if I pull her out of school. As her friends from the UK leave school next year and are half way through their gsce's

thank you in advance to your reply

Hi peter

Yes Ive asked her she is not 100% keen on the idea but she understands my reasoning. She is worried that she wont be able to catch up with the workload and it will ruin her future. I dont have a clue about it all but want to do whats best for her.

It is an awkward one because re-joining at 15 when GCSE's are going on may be difficult. Could you wait till she finishes her exams in Oz, or wait till shes 18 so she can decide fully? Though throwing up on the slip side if she wants to go to University in the UK you need to have lived in the UK 3 years prior to going otherwise your counted as international I believe. I think it may be difficult for her education and waiting a couple of years may be a better option?

Sorry can not offer any other help just my opinions.

I thought that would be the case thank you so much for your advice its so hard being over here without your family and friends when you need them most. Do you know if we do stay here till end of her education could she still go to university in UK? I mean do her qualifications still count in UK?

There is always the option of enrolling your daughter in sixth form college to do her G.C.S.E's. If she is bright, she can do them in a year. Even if she had to go back one year at school, that would certainly not 'ruin' her future. There are lots of possibilities available still.

She could join the A level course and catch up with GCSEs in the process. A sixth Form College may well be the way to go. From all reports, schools are very accommodating and supportive of kids moving in in the later HS years.

15 year old has lots of options - like others have said, get back for A levels or find an International Baccalaureate school to do an IB. Won't kill her to delay a year. If you move back for A levels + gap year then uni is much easier as you'll be a domestic student and subject to local fees. I will be moving back when son is 18 and we're pretty much stuffed unless he wants to work for 3 years :(

I am going through the exact same process with my 15 year old. She is going to start school in the UK in early December as soon as she finishes Year 10 here. The school in the UK have been extremely supportive and they are looking at her Year 10 work to see if it can be credited towards the course work component of her GCSEs. Her school here in Oz have been very cooperative as well. Either she will do her GCSEs next June, or she will repeat Year 10 in the UK. Her birthday is in May, so she is young for the year so we don't mind either way. She is 100% committed to going to the UK. I was going to wait until she finished Year 12 here in Oz and she was the one who suggested going earlier. The three year residency issue for Uni is a big one, so happy that she will meet the criteria. It is a big decision, however for our circumstances the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Good luck :)

My daughter changed schools in UK for 5th form, she had been at ballet school and it was too much pressure with ballet and accedemic. They did a totally different GCSE board, she started from scratch ad took 7/8 subjects in 1 year and passed them all.

If the school is supportive and the pupil willing to work hard it can be done, my daughter is proof, but it was hard work.

We were expats, and lots of pupils went from International schools to study in UK, mostly at the A level time, and none seem to have problems adjusting to the UK system.

Archived