Entering the UK on Australian Passport

HappyHeart

I'm a bit confused about the pros/cons, risks and benefits of using a British passport to enter Britain. Husbands UK passport is still valid, mine and sons have expired. We all have Australian passports. Husband plans to enter on UK passport, I will have to use Aussie one. Are there likely to be any issues or delays from doing it this way or is it worthwhile extending my British passport??

I doubt we will travel to UK/Europe again for at least a few years so whats the best bet do you think?

HH, take your expired UK passports with you.

They still prove that you are British citizens and entitled to enter and live in the UK with no restrictions.

Bottom line is you are British citizens so they won't hassle you too much.

I'd renew over there if it was me.

HH, take your expired UK passports with you.

They still prove that you are British citizens and entitled to enter and live in the UK with no restrictions.

Bottom line is you are British citizens so they won't hassle you too much.

I'd renew over there if it was me.

Thanks Parley...sounds obvious but I hadn't thought of taking expired ones along

I'm a bit confused about the pros/cons, risks and benefits of using a British passport to enter Britain. Husbands UK passport is still valid, mine and sons have expired. We all have Australian passports. Husband plans to enter on UK passport, I will have to use Aussie one. Are there likely to be any issues or delays from doing it this way or is it worthwhile extending my British passport??

QUOTE]

I thought you were supposed to use the same passport for a complete trip (one trip being, for example, out of Aus, into UK, out of UK, back into Aus)

And he can't use the UK one to come back into Aus as he won't have a visa on it, so therefore he shouldn't be going into the UK on it.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the rules?

I thought you were supposed to use the same passport for a complete trip (one trip being, for example, out of Aus, into UK, out of UK, back into Aus)

And he can't use the UK one to come back into Aus as he won't have a visa on it, so therefore he shouldn't be going into the UK on it.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the rules?

Yes I think you have misunderstood. There is no requirement to use one passport for the trip. OP's husband can use the Australian one to leave and re-enter Australia and the UK one to enter the UK. The UK don't check passports on exit.

Given the amount of time it takes to get through the NON EU queue... I'd be using at least one British passport to enter the UK that way you can all use the EU queue.

How does that work?? Someone else mentioned something about only needing one member of the family to have British passport

I would decide on the day which line to use last few time I have been through heathrow the EU line has been way longer than the non EU.

That is what I have noticed too, however you have to bear in mind that the EU queue probably keeps on moving very quickly, whereas the non EU queue can result in individuals being stopped and questioned at length.

Using the EU queue with family members that have non EU passports depends on what airport and what Border protection officers are on. Not all border protection officers are certified to process non EU passports. I asked the question coming through Stanstead in the middle of last year (the queue was taking forever so I had a chat to the officer atthe front of the line about it) as earlier in the year I went through the EU line at Heathrow with my wife and daughter.

How does that work?? Someone else mentioned something about only needing one member of the family to have British passport

As long as one of you have a British passport you can go through as as family. My wife goes through the EU queue on her indonesian passport, as she is with my daughter who has both UK and Indo.. or with me who has as UK one.

Similarly if the non eu queue is really small we can all go through there as well.

As long as one of you have a British passport you can go through as as family. My wife goes through the EU queue on her indonesian passport, as she is with my daughter who has both UK and Indo.. or with me who has as UK one.

Similarly if the non eu queue is really small we can all go through there as well.

I am surprised at that! Thanks for the info...

Archived