Cairns Residents Disgusted

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not sure if you have heard how Cairns is getting ready for the G20 but they are getting busses together to round up any aboriginals on the streets, at the parks in town etc. It is like we are ashamed of them and they have to hide them away from the higher class :no: They have as much right to be on the streets as anyone else. It shows that Cairns doesn't care about its residents but more about its image.

POLICE and politicians have vowed to remove vagrants from the CBD streets when the world’s top government brokers converge on Cairns for the G20 Finance Ministers’ meeting.

An all-hours bus service will be in operation to pick up itinerants, most of whom will be taken to Anglicare’s Lyons St diversionary centre, which has put on more staff to cope with the expected influx during the event.

The Northern Region’s acting Assistant Commissioner Paul Taylor, who will co-ordinate police operations during the meetings on September 20 and 21, said several government and community agencies would make a concerted effort to keep popular tourist areas free of vagrants.

“We continuously work with a range of stakeholders to resolve issues that itinerants create,” he said.

“(During G20) there are going to be a lot of people walking around looking at the city.

“In a lot of areas you have tourists competing with itinerants. and for years now we’ve been working to ensure that tourists come first.’’

The event is expected to bring 2000 people, including a national and international media contingent of about 300, to Cairns.

An extra 700 police officers are due to start arriving next week as part of the campaign to keep CBD crime to a minimum.

Mr Taylor said the heightened presence would be obvious to people, particularly those in the inner city.

“If people are acting inappropriately there is more chance they are going to be detected,” he said.

Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch said much was at stake during the Finance Ministers’ meeting, including potential investment in the city, and he supported the move.

“It's not like we’re going to go around with a truck and pick them up, we’re just going to give them a place to go which is safe,’’ he said.

Anglicare’s executive manager Shirley Pevitt, who is in charge operations at the facility, said extra staff would be put on standby.

“We work with public intoxication and really stressed people,’ she said.

“Through this period of time we will support police and emergency services.’’

Police have 24/7 access to the centre, which offers beds, food and even clean clothes to intoxicated itinerants.

The clean-up concept is not limited to vagrants, with all businesses urged to support the collective makeover.

Mr Taylor said even the police headquarters on Sheridan St and the neighbouring Cairns Courthouse had undergone an exterior makeover.

That's horrendous, this isn't FIFA this is a government who should be standing tall on the world stage.

Australia looks gorgeous to me. I refuse to believe this country could have been put together by 'banana republic' leadership.

This has to be new, and has to be stopped.

I try not to get involved in the mainstream press, it will be interesting however to see how they cover the G20, and the rather large climate change shaped elephant in the room.

sad, but how long will it take for Australians to realize they made a huge mistake by voting for Abbott (not that Rudd is much better). When will Australia enact the same laws as the US: if you are born abroad you cannot be a PM. First the Car industry is going, now the Navy Submarines will be built in German?

What is the definition of selling off a country? The government has an image issue thinking the PM is equal to the US president flying all over the world and acting like a big shot while he cannot fix his own country. Tell you what the USA has trillions of USD in international debt and they give no squat wanting it paying back by imposing sanctions on their own citizens.

So why are we even surprised by this? It is not only wrong but shameful too...

Guest The Pom Queen
I sympathise but the same sort of thing happens when there is an announced care home inspection or a school inspection. In fact all friends and visitors comment on what a lovely tidy house we have; unless they drop by unannounced that is. :wubclub:

Yes but there is a difference between hiding rubbish and hiding people

.......shameful IMO.......

.......their part of life.....

.......we can't and shouldn't hide ...our ....perceived wrongs......

........a people who make up part of life.....

.......it doesn't solve anything.......IMO....

.........they won't just go away.....!

.........would we allow them to dictate the behaviour and lifestyle of the white residents...?

.........which sometimes is wrong in the eyes of the indigenous....

.........there are reasons for manys way of life.....and often not through choice.....but circumstance....

..........address the reasons.....not the results......

..........IMO......tink...X

Yes but there is a difference between hiding rubbish and hiding people

I agree. A permanent solution is necessary.

I was just pointing out that it is natural to put a gloss on our 'home' when we have important visitors.

It happens at all these global summits around the world so would not single out Cairns or Australia. It also creates a type of glass bubble for high-ranking people so that they can see the world as they would like it to be and not as it is.

Guest The Pom Queen
So just leave them on the streets ?

If you lived up here you will know they aren't a problem at all. Yes you have a couple who get very drunk but they should be offering them help all year round not just hide them for the high and mighty visiting that's what I find disgusting. They may as well say if anyone is seen not in designer clothes they will be removed out of sight.

I doubt that the Americans evacuated hundreds of thousands (referring to all the homeless and such, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Harlem). Maybe people should get out and visit other places (have you been in Washigton for instance????).

People are who they are and that is beautiful about it..Nazis wanted a perfect world! Concentration camps..anyone remembers?

Archived