Misgivings

Aunt Agatha

I honestly didn't have any....maybe will the weather get me down but that was about it and it hasn't, at least not as much as the heat in Perth did.

I did worry that we'd ping pong, we certainly didn't hate Australia and I worried once back in the UK the rose tinted glasses would appear. When we moved to Australia I was absolute that it was a forever move and I was of course wrong so I kind of doubted my own mind - I thought I wanted to return to the UK but did I really....

I largely let myself off the hook though and accepted that dual nationality meant a lifetime of being able to choose and there was nothing at all wrong with making different choices at different times in our life.

So far no rose tints at all - in fact if anything I have to remind myself it wasn't all bad!!

This is all good news!

I am not usually one for rose tinted glasses but I am concerned I may develop a pair in the depths of an English winter - not the nice crispy ones but the freezing, wet, gloomy ones - or when I have to try and pass another car in a street the width of a pencil. I don't have an idealised view of the UK now (as much as I love it) so perhaps I'll also be immune when the situation is reversed.

Can't think that I had any really. If I had, it certainly wouldn't have involved the weather! After half a lifetime of Aussie weather, this is fabulous (and no, it is by no means grey every day - not even close!). Given our circumstances I suppose the hardest thing is not being there for the grand kids but watching them grow up on Skype - if we weren't as constrained as we are, then all would be peachy because we could both take a holiday back to see the kids.

The stupid thing is the weather didn't particularly bother me when I lived in the UK! Well, except for those occasional days when I had to leave the house at 5am in winter to catch a train from London to our Cardiff office! I must have absorbed all the UK = Grey propaganda :wink:

i think growing up and spending 30 years there, i can't honestly say the weather bothered me, it wasn't until I came here that I realised i prefer warmer climates....which overall I do, except, not the summer, and I'll be glad to see the back of worrying over skin cancer, using sunscreen, being paranoid my child will get burnt in 5 secs, and all that jazz. But I can't say weather features in my memories of the uk- it was a non feature until I had something to compare it too. i actually have some brilliant memories of winter growing up and during adolescence- there was nothing more freezing than trying to smoke on the top floor of a double decker bus with the window open during a snowstorm, or, all those new years eves queuing up outside pubs or clubs huddled together for warmth. I have really fond memories of bonfire nights too, which were always a big thing in our village, or being wrapped up to go outside in the playground for a quick breath of icey air. i don't mind the cold, but i do think the lack of daylight will take a while to get used to.

I should probably clarify that I'm not genuinely worried about the weather in any real sense. Rather that the absence of sunshine on a particularly drab may make me wistful for the kind of day I am enjoying right now. Conversely I absolutely won't miss slathering sun cream on the kids all the time or hiding from the sun in summer or the lack of truly changing seasons.

I share all those fond memories @thinker78!

I suppose I used the weather example because it's an easy one. What I was trying to say is that I'm concerned that a long winter/local play area covered in graffiti/litter/"chav" encounter/whatever may cause me to develop rose-tinted glasses about our lives here. Obviously some comparison is natural but I don't want to torture myself.

Overthinking as usual I'm sure!

I really do struggle with lack of daylight here in Brisbane - it's hard to get used to it being dark early all year round, even if it is hot and dark (and I never got into the get up at 4 a.m. in summer to make the most of the day thing). I think I will find the first winter in the UK pretty exotic, and then maybe struggle a bit Jan to Mar as I used to.... but the payoff is the long summer evenings and I'm more than willing to make the swap now!

i think growing up and spending 30 years there, i can't honestly say the weather bothered me, it wasn't until I came here that I realised i prefer warmer climates....which overall I do, except, not the summer, and I'll be glad to see the back of worrying over skin cancer, using sunscreen, being paranoid my child will get burnt in 5 secs, and all that jazz. But I can't say weather features in my memories of the uk- it was a non feature until I had something to compare it too. i actually have some brilliant memories of winter growing up and during adolescence- there was nothing more freezing than trying to smoke on the top floor of a double decker bus with the window open during a snowstorm, or, all those new years eves queuing up outside pubs or clubs huddled together for warmth. I have really fond memories of bonfire nights too, which were always a big thing in our village, or being wrapped up to go outside in the playground for a quick breath of icey air. i don't mind the cold, but i do think the lack of daylight will take a while to get used to.

BTW some rather lovely memories in this post have kicked off my homesickness! I didn't actually have a heated room until I was in my early 20's - Got used to ice on the inside of the windows...

Oh me too @Chortlepuss! My parents got central heating about 10 years after I left home - until then it was one gas fire in the living room, one in the dining room and a fan heater on the landing. Given I grew up on the NE coast it was mighty cold in winter! Of course that same hardiness allowed me to go out in Newcastle on a Saturday night in winter with no coat so it's not all bad ;-)

I'm confident about where we are moving back to thankfully - not that I know for sure where that is but I know that won't be a council estate in Conventry (no offense to council estates or Coventry intended!!) I suppose I'm wondering if 11 years away will change how I view things that previously didn't bother me.

No issues' for us either. We've been back 15 months now and have settled back in fine. I sometimes get a bit wistful of what 'could have been' if we'd stayed but then I remind myself of why we came back and how lucky we are to live in such a great place.

I know this is probably a silly concern, but looking at the terrorist alert and the worries about Ebola and so on, the UK just seems so much closer to all that awful stuff that I wonder if I might be better off high-tailing it to Tasmania...

Actually part of our reason to moving to Australia in the first place and terrorism is not a 'silly' concern but for me anyway these things always seem less concerning when you're actually living somewhere - probably to do with the way they are reported in the media, when you're on the ground you just get on with every day life.

I know growing up during the IRA campaigns London always seemed and incredibly scary place but when I lived in London I gave little thought to it then after moving to Scotland and 7/7 I actually told my employer I was no longer willing to travel to London - I had a year old baby and was in that hyper sensitive phase anyway!

Not silly at all. On the flip side, I'm looking forward to being able to avoid long-haul flights latter the Air Malaysia stuff.

I think given Australia's involvement with the "war on terror" they are as much a target as anybody else and I'm pretty sure that Australia is just about to raise it's terror threat level to match that of the UK. I know what you mean about Ebola etc. feeling closer in the UK but I just saw the news about a suspected case here with a returning aid worker. It turned out to be nothing but I think it shows that with the ease of travel these days nowhere is truly safe and yet at the same time most first world countries are fairly safe.

Archived