Good Morning All,

I am looking for some help and advise if at all possible.

My partner is on a 457 visa until 2017 and I am on his visa, I am currently 14wks pregnant and due to the cost here in the NT we wont be able to afford to stay. I am wondering if my partner is to terminate his visa early will his employer still have to pay for the flights back to the UK or will we have to pay as we are terminating his employment early and how much notice do we have to give them if they do pay for the flight.

Thanks in advance :)

Good Morning All,

I am looking for some help and advise if at all possible.

My partner is on a 457 visa until 2017 and I am on his visa, I am currently 14wks pregnant and due to the cost here in the NT we wont be able to afford to stay. I am wondering if my partner is to terminate his visa early will his employer still have to pay for the flights back to the UK or will we have to pay as we are terminating his employment early and how much notice do we have to give them if they do pay for the flight.

Thanks in advance :)

After a 457 visa is cancelled, the employer is not liable for repatriation costs unless a claim had already been lodged.

Looking after your employees welfare and best interests is illegal? Since when?

Its nothing to do with savvyness of employers. The original question was about employer paying return flights. And yes Pumpkin is correct, the employer HAS to pay for return flights irrespective of circumstances and cannot 'protect' themselves if the employee drives a return home.

Looking after your employees welfare and best interests is illegal? Since when?

Well perhaps is misunderstood you, but viewing your post in the context of the posts above, it read like you were suggesting that a savvy employer would ensure that they were not on the hook for repatriation costs if the employee chooses to leave. But maybe I misunderstood your point, I did not realise you were saying that a savvy employer promotes the welfare and best interest of employees. My bad.

So my point was that, if the contract did say that the employer was not on the hook for any repatriation costs if employer chooses to leave, then it would be an illegal contract.

Responses are above. What do you mean by tips on this particular point, it is just a factual yes/ no question.

Any clarity on pregnancy and employment will count as tips for me as hoping to move over soon as this playing on our head in case my wife becomes pregnant so we know where we stand

As Wrussell has already alluded, it is not that simple.

Repatriation costs are only payable if an employer receives a request in writing by either the visa holder or the Immigration Department within a specified timeframe.

Well that seems quite simple? Ask the employer as soon as possible.

After a 457 visa is cancelled, the employer is not liable for repatriation costs unless a claim had already been lodged.

wrussell is a respected and experienced RMA and knows what he's talking about. He says the employer is liable for repatriation costs but only if a claim is lodged before the visa is cancelled, so make sure you get the timing right. Sounds like lodging the claim at the same time as the resignation would be the way to go (and get proof of them having received it then in case they try to play hard ball).

Any clarity on pregnancy and employment will count as tips for me as hoping to move over soon as this playing on our head in case my wife becomes pregnant so we know where we stand

I think you might be on the wrong thread Claude. This one is about getting repatriation money from employers at the end of a contract.

Archived