Stick it out or go home ??

ceyclaire

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi beach pig , we are renting in north lakes which is a lovely area but no community spirit , like they say garage door goes up drive in garage door goes down ?? We had new next door neighbours move in about 6 weeks ago and I don't even know what they look like ?

Hi Snifter , I hear what your saying but having to arrange play dates is not the way I grew up , you walked out the front door and all your mates were playing in the street , same for my kids in the UK ,had to drag them in for tea and then again for bedtime

Hi Vicks , we've met quite a few friends and the kids have made friends at school but come home time they are sitting playing on their I pads , which really saddens me when I think what they used to do , Xbox only got used on rainy days couldn't keep them in :-)

Actually it's true what some of the other posters say. It tends to be more about play dates than playing in the street. When I arrived I was really proactive about talking to everyone and arranging things - was a bit easier for me as my oldest was in Prep when we arrived.

I am not a fan of street playing either (unless they are completely off the road) as the cars are so high.

Spot on Lurcharmily , we do have a lot going for us in oz which is making the decision a hard one. We are saving more money here than we did in uk and enjoying it but your right , something is missing , maybe I'm just set in my ways , I just get the feeling that no matter how long we live here I will never call it my home

Guest Guest95262

Theres a lesson to be learnt here, don't pack your life and family up and move them half way across the world without either having lived here or have spent more time here than a 2 week holiday, seems crazy to me

Certainly wasn't dying out we're we lived , maybe we were spoilt where we were ?

Hi Claire

We live in the same suburb as Alaska and our kids play out on the street all the time before dinner. However, the other kids' parents are also from the UK so perhaps that is the reason why? We also live in a cul de sac off a cul de sac with only 7 houses so it is very safe. I love them to be out there on their ripsticks and bikes or playing football or cricket. Sometimes the whole road is covered in chalk drawings/hopscotch grids!

I hope you can improve your kids' social life. I fear it may be playdates for you though....

Surely there must be some streets somewhere in Australia that have kids playing free range? I sure hope so. Our street in Canada was terrific for that not just with the kids but the adults visiting ( maybe drinking a bit too much). I can't believe how in our townhouse complex here in inner Sydney (with safe inner courtyard) all the kids go inside after school and you never see them again, and with this beautiful weather! I refuse to cave in and go home though, at least not yet. I am in the same boat of trying to arrange play dates, but it is not as good as spontaneous playing outside. I am even wondering about renting on another street. Personally I think caving in and going home for that one reason is a mistake, because there is always something not great about every place, and to spend all the energy and money coming and leaving just because of that will lead to regrets. But to each his own, so good luck.

Spot on Lurcharmily , we do have a lot going for us in oz which is making the decision a hard one. We are saving more money here than we did in uk and enjoying it but your right , something is missing , maybe I'm just set in my ways , I just get the feeling that no matter how long we live here I will never call it my home

I am wondering if the right time to go back is only when you actually know you want to go back. And I mean really want to, not just idly musing about it. Maybe the fact that you are not sure means it is not the right time and you do need to give it longer. You should also be realistic in your expectations, you won't replace everything you had in your old life in 9 months, you spent a lifetime building those things, including the sense go belonging.

Some of us do try and inform folk that there are down sides to living in OZ and the void found in most suburbs being one of the negatives, especially for those used to more of a community sense. It wasn't always so of course as kids played out when I was one here but sadly seldom the case in recent decades. Very much wrap them in cotton wool and within the house area. All very controlled.

Although some on here claim to participate in street parties, I having lived in about five suburbs including one of Perth's most expensive ones have never found this to be the case. Life lived behind big walls and seldom saw folk besides coming and going in cars or walking the dog. Very much a keep to yourself type place most preferring distance beyond a hello and occasional wave. You adapt in sorts to it but certainly not to everybody's liking.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learned , but even if we do go back we don't have any regrets about doing it , you could visit for a month or so but until you uproots move , start working send the kids to school here you will never know what living in oz is really like , you have to take the lesson to learn from it !!

A lot of people feel that way. But after a while it does become home believe me. If you went back to England you might struggle there as migration changes you. Your outlook changes, everything.

Don't go back in other words, stay and build friends, life etc, let yourself be happy here.

Edited by jasepom

No came back to Australia on my own. Wife promised to follow then changed her mind. Everyone on here knows I'm pro Australia, cause I love it here. But my wife found it difficult, I don't know why, she had a beautiful home and loads of money. Holidays back to England whenever she wanted.

I am probably going to upset the apple cart here. I find it dangerous when children are playing in the street.

my son has recently moved to a small dead end street, and having to negotiate cars parked on both sides of the short street which has a turning circle at the end, with small children on wobbly bicycles, skate boards etc is not funny.

i'm not a grumpy person, have had 3 children, but children playing outside on the street with no supervision is wrong, and having to brake sharply when a football is kicked across the street is just dangerous for everyone, let alone the child possibly just running into the street without thinking to chase the ball is potentially fatal.

my children are grown up now, but even in my day we arranged or they arranged it themselves to play at each other's houses.

We always had a house or garden full, they were all welcome, but safe.

I tend to agree tbh. I was never allowed to play out on the street and I'venever let mone either.There is a family at the top of our road and they have 3 small boys out wobbling around in the middle of the road on bikes. Dangerous, when you come around the corner and there they are.