Flying home for Christmas :)

HappyHeart

Finally made the decision (more or less) and crunched the numbers and it's looking likely we are going to fly back to the UK early December for OHs 40th with his twin brother and stay for Christmas, come home after my Mums birthday (NYE)....

Now we have decided, I can get excited/make plans/organise the itinerary!

Want to make the most of as we will not return for several years after this..it's just not financially viable, we had said we wouldn't go back for at last 5 years after first time (2 years ago) but husband really keen to be with his bro on his big day and I quite fancy it too...other reason is so son can have a special cold family UK crimbo while he 'still believes'..at least he tells me he does!

So I have lots of must do's including some winter Christmas markets...looking for ideas of places to visit for overnight stays/must see sights/bearing in mind it will be cold and want to see a few towns not visited before....

Any ideas? Will be based in Stafford and not wanting to drive for more than 3 hours in any direction...:huh:

Excited!!:xmas16:

Eeek, how exciting :cute:

The Birmingham German market and the Manchester Christmas markets are both definitely worth a visit and the snow-dome in Tamworth has the Christmas winter wonderland which is a fab day out if you haven't been before. Will have a think for a few more for you :cute:

Sounds fantastic, I think if ever we went back it would be for Christmas.

Well sis in law has booked the party even though I said it was not definite so I guess we are going:) It will be held at the hallowed hall of OHs local team who he has not stopped following so he will be happy and it's where our wedding reception and party we had last time we went back was held so plenty of memories/good times past and most importantly cheap booze..woo-hoo!! I have insisted we have a week to get over jet lag first though so we can fully embrace the party fun:)

A few more....

Chester is beautiful at Christmas, for a day shopping its lovely. The zoo are doing a lantern festival again, Lantern Magic i think its called. That is a fun day/evening for the family.

Also if you are into Harry Potter, would you travel down to the Warner Bros studio? They cover Hogwarts in snow at Christmas.

Lincoln markets are good. Kings College on Christmas Eve is goosebumps territory. London is buzzing - the Southbank and Hyde Park markets but the markets tend to be a bit generic. I liked Bath markets best I think. Love UK Christmases!

Ludlow is a lovely little town, is quite near and has regular markets, their xmas one is on 4th Dec this year so maybe a little early for you but still worth a visit anyhow.

I see you mention budgets and flying early Dec, have you looked at flying out in late Nov? as the prices usually change about this time and leaving a little earlier can save $100's on the fares, we did this last year.

Take hat, gloves, scarf, thick coat, to put on as soon as you come out of Heathrow. I remember waiting at Heathrow for my parents to pick me up, dressed reasonably I thought in pullover and jacket as I would here, but I was freezing. Once i kitted myself out with proper winter clothes, I was OK. It can still be a shock to the system though, after Aussie summer heat. When I lived in England, I got used to the cold, but coming back for Xmas was different!

Have a great time though. I remember we stopped at a pub on the way from the airport and I had some hearty fare, sausages and mash, I don't know, but it was bloody good!

Ludlow is a lovely little town, is quite near and has regular markets, their xmas one is on 4th Dec this year so maybe a little early for you but still worth a visit anyhow.

I see you mention budgets and flying early Dec, have you looked at flying out in late Nov? as the prices usually change about this time and leaving a little earlier can save $100's on the fares, we did this last year.

Yes, no can do though what with leave from work issues and also taking son out of school for last 2 weeks of term. If I work first week in Dec and fly end of that week should be OK to come back in new year and take 4 weeks off

• 2 weeks later...
I booked our flights, we're flying home for Christmas:))

I find it intriguing you saying your going home for Xmas .

has it always been home for you?

I love going on hols...but I enjoy coming home...to me now, that means my little house here in Perth

I find it intriguing you saying your going home for Xmas .

has it always been home for you?

I love going on hols...but I enjoy coming home...to me now, that means my little house here in Perth

No...I used to refuse to call it home...but nearly 6 years in...it's home...the home town....it's where we're from...a turn of phrase....I'm secure enough in our lives here to know you can have 2 homes:)) I'm flying home for Christmas..can't wait to see their faces:) Woop woop!

Archived