Store Loyalty cards- am I missing something

Dawn2002

Hi there

I currently have a Woolworths loyalty card, now I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but there doesn't seem to be much point to having it. You get the fuel vouchers any way and other than the occasional money off if you spend X and get a gift voucher I can't see any other benefit. The Nectar card in the UK accrued points which gave you money off.

Are there any similar loyalty cards here like that ? Please enlighten me if I'm missing something on the current rewards card.

I am trying to cut down on our spending on food and as I have to go shopping with 2 children under 5 my main aim is to get all I can in the minimum number of different stores !! Hence I only manage the supermarket fruit and veg shop and butchers at most.. I have tried Aldi but I wasn't impressed.

Any suggestions ?

It works best if you tie in with something else such as credit card, frequent flyer. For example I get all Woolies points transferred in to Qantas Frequent Flyer, and take advantage of bonus points, have made quite a few thousand miles in the past year which combined with actual flight miles means I am on my way to a free flight soon. Woolies also has special offers only for Everyday Rewards cardholders, like reduced prices on certain items, changes every week.

Flybuys (Coles) - we also have a FlyBuys gold visa card that earns a flybuys point for every $1 spent, and again take advantage of offers such as last week spent over $190 so got a $20 voucher to use this week, and always claim bonus points, plus it's tied to Coles home insurance for even more points. We've earned about $600 in FlyBuys rewards in the past year.

Most of our shopping is at Coles and Aldi. Round these parts they often seem to be right next to each other which helps!

It works best if you tie in with something else such as credit card, frequent flyer. For example I get all Woolies points transferred in to Qantas Frequent Flyer, and take advantage of bonus points, have made quite a few thousand miles in the past year which combined with actual flight miles means I am on my way to a free flight soon. Woolies also has special offers only for Everyday Rewards cardholders, like reduced prices on certain items, changes every week.

Flybuys (Coles) - we also have a FlyBuys gold visa card that earns a flybuys point for every $1 spent, and again take advantage of offers such as last week spent over $190 so got a $20 voucher to use this week, and always claim bonus points, plus it's tied to Coles home insurance for even more points. We've earned about $600 in FlyBuys rewards in the past year.

Most of our shopping is at Coles and Aldi. Round these parts they often seem to be right next to each other which helps!

very true, which suburb are you in?

Thanks for that. Do you have to pay for the shopping on the credit card to get the frequent flyer points ? And is there an annual charge ?

We are trying to avoid any form of credit card at the moment !

The credit card gets us Flybuys which, in spite of the name, earns shopping vouchers rather than frequent flyer points! But while you don't *have* to use a credit card, it does accelerate points earning a lot - especially as we pay for holidays, eating out etc on it. There's an annual charge $60 but we also get free travel insurance.

With just the loyalty card on its own, though, you still get bonus points offers - some in the post, some activated online and some at the end of a receipt to be scanned next shop. Last weekend I culled my stash and had 3 bonus points offers scanned (as well as the $20 voucher earned) so that's significant!

Chermside, we shop at Aspley, Lutwyche or (less frequently) Taigum - all have Aldi right by Coles!

Yeah Lutwyche is my local, handy to shop in both. Love shopping at Clayfield grocer's on Sandgate road however

Thanks, not sure the credit card would be suitable for us, but I'll check out the website tonight. I have found Coles and Woolies very similar in prices so it's not an issue swapping between the two.

If we can save up the frequent flyer points I'm sure they'll add up when we next have the need to fly.

Thanks for that. Do you have to pay for the shopping on the credit card to get the frequent flyer points ? And is there an annual charge ?

We are trying to avoid any form of credit card at the moment !

If used in the correct manner credit cards can work for you and give you money, We have a feeless commonwealth bank gold card, we buy everything on it and very very rarely get cash out (very rare that I have $5 or more in my pocket) the card gets paid in full each month by standing order, we then get points for every dollar spent, we then convert these points to dollars credit every so often. At present we have over $800 dollars in points but this will be going towards our next UK holiday, as there is a slightly better points deal with flight centre over the banks dollar credit.

We did have a line of credit mortgage linked with the credit card, this method of card use saved us $thousands on mortgage interest and took years off the term, but that's a different story.

Have looked into store cards and the like both loyalty and credit, could not see any advantage for them over what I was already getting. I do have a 28degree credit card which we use for our overseas travel, and internet purchases ( small limit in case of scams/fraud/lost/stolen)

If we can save up the frequent flyer points I'm sure they'll add up when we next have the need to fly.

If its flying awards you want then try the Virgin or Qantas credit cards you get a few free when you join I believe.

You will need to check if there is any use by date for any flyer/points.

Yeah credit cards are great when used effectively. My Citibank card even gets me a free bottle of wine with my meal at many of the high end Brisbane restaurants. Just pay off in full monthly

Yeah credit cards are great when used effectively. My Citibank card even gets me a free bottle of wine with my meal at many of the high end Brisbane restaurants. Just pay off in full monthly

Gee, my credit limit would not let me dine at the high end, good job I am not a wine drinker:wink:

Gee, my credit limit would not let me dine at the high end, good job I am not a wine drinker:wink:

They aren't that expensive... Cheaper than fish and chips in WA I hear...

Hi there

I currently have a Woolworths loyalty card, now I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but there doesn't seem to be much point to having it. You get the fuel vouchers any way and other than the occasional money off if you spend X and get a gift voucher I can't see any other benefit.

You're right, they just don't make sense. They exist so that Coles and Woollies can get data on your purchases - the rewards you get in return are not worth having. There is no loyalty card that is going to give you rewards that are really worth having. I think Choice Magazine did a thorough article on them a while ago, which came to that conclusion.

I love my Woolys card and have had a few hundred dollars out of it over the years plus all the fuel and in store savings.

You need to link it with the Quantas Frequent Flyer programme, when you have a fair few points added up (just for scanning it the checkout), you go to the Quantas shop and exchange your points for gift cards, i get the Woolworths ones ,normally just before xmas and use it against the 'big Xmas shop.

You also need to have an active E- Mail. They send out offers quite a lot and you need to click and 'Activate' them. The latest was if you scan your saver card at the Checkout 3 times in 3 weeks with a spend of $100 or more, you will be sent a Free $30 gift card. Mine should arrive next week.

Cal x

I also have the everyday rewards card linked to my Qantas Frequent Flyer card.

I currently have about 80000 points but don't know what to do with them.

I will probably buy some electronic gadget at some stage or get a gift card.

You're right, they just don't make sense. They exist so that Coles and Woollies can get data on your purchases - the rewards you get in return are not worth having. There is no loyalty card that is going to give you rewards that are really worth having. I think Choice Magazine did a thorough article on them a while ago, which came to that conclusion.

They did a review in the UK a few years ago.

They're only worth having if you stay loyal to one supermarket. But if you stay loyal, you thus miss out on special offers from the other supermarkets.

When they trialled buying goods without loyalty cards but went to supermarkets based on what they were advertising as specials that week...it worked out cheaper than having any loyalty card.

There seems to be a load more junk mail in Canberra and every supermarket gets a flyer dropped every week....all you have to do is read it.

I made a conscious decision after leaving the UK and cutting up the Boots Card and Sainsbury's Rewards not to have anything in Australia. It feels so liberating not to feel obliged to shop at one store only and regain CHOICE :-)

I guess if you only have access to one supermarket then you might as well have a loyalty card....but then you're probably paying more to start with through lack of local competition.

I use my woollies card for Qantas frequent flyer points

How many frequent flyer points do you need for anything useful, and how much has it cost in shopping at one store?

I only ask because I was up to about 60,000 Emirates points once and it took years of flying before i got a one way Bus Class upgrade to Dubai, and that was only through a 50% off points deal in winter.

My mate has his own house building company in the states. He puts over a million US dollars a year on building materials through his credit card and gets Airmiles on it. It gets him 2 return flights home to the UK every year. For over a million dollars spent !

Archived