Anybody work in admin in a school?

I just wondered whether anybody works in a non-teaching / admin role in a school please? Is it standard to be off for all or most of the school holidays in the same way that it is in the UK? Also, what sort of salaries do schools pay for admin based roles? Thanks

I've been researching this a bit and jobs that I have seen online (there aren't many!) seem to pay better than they do in the UK. I've found it hard to find term-time only jobs when looking though. I'll start looking properly when we get there in a couple of months, as I think maybe local papers may be the way to find more!

I currently work all year round (am in the private sector in the UK) but would prefer term time so when we get out there me, son and teacher husband can spend the holidays together exploring!

Hopefully someone who is already in Australia will be able to give a little more guidance from real-life experience.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply! I am also based in a private school in the UK and am lucky enough to have all of the holiday's off - ideally this is what I want to be doing when we get to Australia early next year as I am not sure I would copy going back to 20 days annual leave. lol.

Can I ask what it is you do in a school and what sort of salaries you came accross when you've been doing your research? If you know of any specific sites good for advertising school based jobs please let me know.

Huge thanks! :-)

Thanks for your reply! I am also based in a private school in the UK and am lucky enough to have all of the holiday's off - ideally this is what I want to be doing when we get to Australia early next year as I am not sure I would copy going back to 20 days annual leave. lol.

Can I ask what it is you do in a school and what sort of salaries you came accross when you've been doing your research? If you know of any specific sites good for advertising school based jobs please let me know.

Huge thanks! :-)

I work in education and can tell you that the school officers do get most of the holidays off. They do generally return three days or so before the new school year starts each February, but then so do all the teachers as well.

In Western Australia, school officer roles are advertised on the Jobswa website. Each state will be different and salary will depend on where you are heading. In contrast, private schools will advertise via newspapers and Seek.

I have posted a link to show what a typical advertisement looks like, what it asks for and the criteria that you will need to address. It also gives you a guide to salary.

http://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=162580

Thank you so much for the link Sammy - it's really interesting to get an idea of salaries and whats expected etc, but like RosieW points out term time only jobs are high in demand (just like in the UK) so I can only but hope I will find myself a job in a school similar to what I am doing now. Has anybody noticed any major differences when comparing a school based job (admin) in the UK to working in Australia?

In the UK, the pay is pretty bad - most teachers don't realise how little admin staff are paid!! I am a Database Manager at a decent private school in Reading and most NQT's get paid more than me and I work all year round. When I worked in reception on a term-time only contract, the pay was poor considering what goes on behind the teaching to keep the school afloat!!

I've been on Seek and have found that the salaries are much healthier in Australia, but cost of living seems to be higher too, so I guess it's all relative. Does anyone know of anything other than seek that is good for admin roles in schools in Brisbane?

Yes tina0101 it's really frustrating how poorly paid admin staff are considering many work all year round - luckily I am term time only and my rate of pay reflects that, but based on that it isn't all that bad. I think if you look on the Queensland state government website any state school jobs will be listed and as for private schools I would probably look on the individual school websites - keep me posted if you come accross any sites as I'm going to be looking in the same sort of area as you after Xmas :-)

I just wondered whether anybody works in a non-teaching / admin role in a school please? Is it standard to be off for all or most of the school holidays in the same way that it is in the UK? Also, what sort of salaries do schools pay for admin based roles? Thanks

I have worked in schools and universities in Sydney and here, many of the full-time staff don't get the school holidays off. You just get the normal holiday entitlement (4 weeks plus public holidays), or I've known one or two people get 6 weeks. You are expected to take your holidays during school holidays. Private schools are often reluctant to employ mothers of their students because they worry about confidentiality.

I can't help with salaries because it's a while since I worked in that sector, but the pay is definitely lower than in the corporate sector. On the plus side, in a corporate office you're likely to be working a 40 hour week officially, plus unpaid overtime - whereas schools are more likely to have a shorter day and not expect as much overtime.

I've seen people suggest that when working out the salary you need, you should take your UK salary and multiply it by 2.5 (which is the exchange rate + an allowance for higher cost of living).

I suspect it may be state specific. IIRC in ACT, office staff have office conditions with the 20 days leave entitlement, some of which has to be taken in the summer long vac. Pay is poor, in general, in comparison with teaching staff and comparable private sector positions.

Archived