Employment benefits

So, it seems the pay well, but how do Australian companies fare when it comes to dishing out benefits to management level staff?

Company Phone / Ipad? Is it the norm? Where I work in the UK it seems everyone has a phone, and are allowed to use them for personal as well as business calls, more senior staff also have iPads. I'm just wondering if I can expect this in aus, or will have to splash out and get my own contract.

Company Cars? Again - are they common? Whilst I don't currently have one in the UK, most people senior to myself have either a car - or a car allowance. I'm not expecting this in my first job in Australia, but certainly wouldn't complain :-)

Healthcare? If so - is it normal for them to cover the whole family? (on a PR visa, not sponsored).

Flexitime / Work from home privileges?

What is the standard number of days vacation allowance? Is it similar to the UK where you can expect 25-30 days? Or like the US where you would be lucky to get 20?

The standard leave is 20 days per year. This is at all levels and in addition to public holidays and sick/ carers/ personal leave which is usually 10 days and accumulates if unused.

Some people negotiate more leave, but this is often unpaid.

Other benefits differ from job to job. If you need a phone for work you are often given one. As it is on the employer's plan personal calls are often OK as it may not be billed on a call by call basis. Same with computers.

Other benefits are subject to fringe benefits tax. A car will often be provided if needed for work purposes, otherwise the tax applicable can make it not worthwhile. It is unusual here to have your medical benefits costs paid by your employer.

Your employer may offer salary packaging to make it worthwhile to pay some of these expenses from your income and save a little tax. That will depend on your applicable tax rate as it is often not cost effective for those on average wages.

If you work in the health or community sector your employer may be subject to a different tax regime that allows you to spend a percentage of your wages on cars, health insurance, mortgage etc in a tax effective manner. If this is the case you will find that the headline wage offered may be lower (as you will be paying less tax). If your employer is able to offer this, they will let you know as it is a selling point.

Are RE the market being flooded with accountants...

If you read the CPA report as to why it needs to stay on the skilled visa list, they prove that unemployment among professional accountants is at less than half the national average percentage. Something like 1.2%.

That many of those in ythe career are at the older end of the scale edging closer to retirement meaning there will be an even greater need in the future which Australia's education system cannot / is not filling.

That recruitment companies are struggling to fill positions.

I suppose - it varies by areas skillset but I believe CPA over forum hype.

I have a good CV. . And a positive outlook. It will be fine :-)

First, the skills list does not necessarily reflect the employment situation.

There was a lot of talk a few months ago about accountants being removed from the list this year and a number of people expected it to when the list was reviewed on the 1st July. However, shortly before it was published the DIAC announced it would be staying because of possible changes to Australian tax systems due to the new governments policy of repealing the carbon and mining taxes. Personally, I think it was a silly reason given the number of companies effected by both taxes is tiny and it is looking like the government won't get them through anyway.

Did you read what I wrote?

Have you read any of the supporting claims for accountants staying on the list?

9 for.. 1 against?

Where did DIAC say what you claim? They have never - ever said that.

As I said... I prefer facts to forum rumours and scaremongering which is what you are repeating.

The market isn't flooded. 98.8% of professional accountants in Australia are employed. (According to CPA and leading global recruitment companies).

Only speaking for Brisbane area but it is actually a tough market for accountants up here, probably a bit better down in Sydney.

Just bare in mind the toughest step in Oz is probably getting your first job. A lot of firms may filter out non CA/CPA candidates and also you have no local experience. You may find that you will need to take a pretty mediocre job before you can get established.

regarding phones.....only usual if you are required to be on call or contactable after hours or your job requires you to spend more time outside the office than in (and usually limited personal calls)

regarding computers....only usual if you work across multiple offices

regarding healthcare....never seen this same with school fees.

regarding leave..20 days, additional unpaid leave if needed

the big selling point is flexi time...the hours you work are negotiated so if you have children you can schedule work hours so you can drop them off and your partner can pick them up.

Are RE the market being flooded with accountants...

If you read the CPA report as to why it needs to stay on the skilled visa list, they prove that unemployment among professional accountants is at less than half the national average percentage. Something like 1.2%.

That many of those in ythe career are at the older end of the scale edging closer to retirement meaning there will be an even greater need in the future which Australia's education system cannot / is not filling.

That recruitment companies are struggling to fill positions.

I suppose - it varies by areas skillset but I believe CPA over forum hype.

I have a good CV. . And a positive outlook. It will be fine :-)

A good CV and a positive mindset will definitely stand you in good stead.

But make no mistake, the job market for accountants is brutally competitive at the moment and there are many strong candidates fighting for every position. I can categorically tell you that recruitment companies are not struggling to fill positions.

Regarding benefits, you might get phone and an ipad, depends on your company and your level really. Employer provided health insurance is not so common in Australia.

I have friends who have gone back to the UK after six months because the market is so limited and competitive at the moment. They tried Perth,Sydney and Melbourne.

It's competitive and to say otherwise would be incorrect.

Archived