Valid reasons to MBTTUK?

Harpodom

Bit abstract this, as I'm not really seriously considering the big move....AT THIS STAGE. However, on our recent holiday in Britain, me and the wife (Aussie) had a few rather terse discussions around the subject of moving back.

What had crystallised in my mind whilst away from Aus was that I really don't know how I'd cope if Abbott gets re-elected come 2016. I could forgive Australia for being duped into voting for him once....but TWICE??!

Anyway, I expressed this view to the wife who said it was a ridiculous reason to move back, as on a day to day level it has no impact on our lives. TBH I can see what she is saying.

In terms of other motivations, I'd like to be surrounded by family but if I'm absolutely honest, I think its more the 'landscape' of Britain that draws me back: the gentle rolling hills, footpaths, bridleways, long grass, mud, creaky old pubs, soft fluffy grass, the smell of cow pats...

I'm rambling.....

Anyway, would anyone else's Aus v UK decision be swayed by the political direction Aus is heading??

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, would anyone else's Aus v UK decision be swayed by the political direction Aus is heading??

My husband has said this many times, but then you have to ask yourself - can you guarantee British politics will be any more bearable?

I think you need more than one reason to make such a big move. There are so many implications, especially if you've been in Oz for several years - not to mention things like tax and pensions if you're older.

We have two main reasons. One is the sun - my husband's father died of melanoma and my husband had a large basal cell carcinoma removed last year. He now has a phobia about UV exposure and won't step outside the house when the UV index is extreme (which is the entire summer), even with sunscreen. If we move back to the UK, the UV index never gets to extreme so we'd be able to live a more normal life. The other is travel - my husband is Aussie and I've been here 30 years, and we've run out of places to visit. Moving to the UK would open up the whole of Europe and now we're retired, we'd have the time to enjoy it.

I read an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday. Basically, the next general election in the UK is massively decisive re Europe- if the Tories get in again, it's likely the UK will definitely leave Europe. A labour victory will ensure the UK stays in Europe- I personally don't see how they can win, and many feel that the Tories and UKIP will create a new coalition.

Politics IS important- I can see your wife's view, but if you are paying tax, using schools, healthcare, roads, public amenities etc etc, then you are involved in politics whether you like it or not.

Sadly, we are currently between a rock and a hard place- Abbot the tyrant who is systematically destroying everything good about Australia, or a bunch of privileged public school boys who may well lead the UK into even darker times.

As I said, rock and a hard place.

Hi Dom, interesting because I hadn't thought about the political situation at all. However, both OH and I are adamant we won't move back to Italy for eg. because the politics are so dire. Tbh, it is more the landscape stuff that is drawing me back home (and the small matter of a visa which runs out next year) but if I had stopped to think about politics then yes, that would be another reason for leaving Aus. Right, back to rental cleaning.....at least it is the LAST TIME I WILL DO THIS!

You're right thinker, there are parallels between the 2 countries.

The consequences of the tories winning next year and god forbid, forming a coalition with UKIP, are pretty depressing, to say the least! Thanks for that wake up call!

Even with that, the news today that the boat containing 153 Tamil asylum seekers may have been 'transferred' to the 'care' of the Sri Lankan navy seems to blitz anything that a UKIP/tory alliance could do....I'd like to think that even a UKIP/tory govt would be held more accountable than the Abbott govt are.

I read an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday. Basically, the next general election in the UK is massively decisive re Europe- if the Tories get in again, it's likely the UK will definitely leave Europe. A labour victory will ensure the UK stays in Europe- I personally don't see how they can win, and many feel that the Tories and UKIP will create a new coalition.

Politics IS important- I can see your wife's view, but if you are paying tax, using schools, healthcare, roads, public amenities etc etc, then you are involved in politics whether you like it or not.

Sadly, we are currently between a rock and a hard place- Abbot the tyrant who is systematically destroying everything good about Australia, or a bunch of privileged public school boys who may well lead the UK into even darker times.

As I said, rock and a hard place.

I was feeling glad that we'll be escaping Abbott and his cronies; I hate what they are doing to Australia and its people, it sickens me. You are kinder than me Harpodom, I can't forgive those who voted for Abbott.

However, the more I read more about the EU situation in the UK the more nervous I get. Politics matter to me, but given both countries currently have right-wing governments whose attitudes to society's most vulnerable are abhorrent, I'm now thinking it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. At least Cameron has a brain I suppose. I think people are more dissenting in the UK too. I can't imagine a British government getting away with some of the immigration inhumanities for example.

I'm not sure politics alone (in this case) is enough to fuel a move but if you have a yearning for the green, green grass of home then it could tip the balance.

Being very right wing myself, I'd actually be much happier about moving back to Aus if Abbott continues rather than the last mob but each to their own. The debacle of the Rudd/Gillard years certainly coincided with the peak of my depression about being in Australia! I would definitely not be happy staying in UK if Milliband got in!

However, politics had little to nothing to do with my desire to be where I belong - it's the environment, the community, the variety, the sense of humour and the icing on the cake is to be able to support my parents.

I have always been involved in politics- one of the positive things about the horrid class system back home is that it fired me up to understand, to take part, to read, to do something. I find Australians a lot less worldly in many regards; hence their ignorance surrounding issues of humanitarian migration. I do worry however about the current level of ill feeling in the UK and pure and simple stupidity when it comes to UKIP- this is not the place for politics, but it's breath takingly sad when one policy parties prey upon the vulnerable and grow in strength through ignorance.

However, a weird thing which has arisen from the mess for me, on a personal level, is that I feel very motivated to go back and get involved. I have literally no desire here (Australia) to get involved in local politics etc, my heart isn't in it. But I'm raring to go to get stuck in in the UK. We may disagree on sides Quoll, but one of the main factors for me was my passion to change things I care about at 'home'. Home just simply wasn't here. As much as I love it sometimes, I feel indifferent mostly to what goes on, where as UK politics, I follow from afar, and genuinely care about.

Don't publish that on the main page. I know i'd get a right bashing about my loyalties.......

You mad loony lefty, I'm with Mrs Harpo on this one :wink:

Meaning, you agree that politics is a ridiculous reason to influence the decision, or you agree with Mrs Harpo that Abbott is a good bloke*?

I'm a stickler for semantics...

*not that she believes any such thing

Well as part of the reason maybe, but the only reason seems a bit extreme, as for that nice Mr Abbott, what's not to like, OK you can't believe a word he says and he let's his religion influence the way he runs the county, but apart from that he's going well isn't he?

Well as part of the reason maybe, but the only reason seems a bit extreme, as for that nice Mr Abbott, what's not to like, OK you can't believe a word he says and he let's his religion influence the way he runs the county, but apart from that he's going well isn't he?

Ah, thanks. I agree as the only reason it would be stupid, unless of course we were Tamil asylum seekers on temporary protection visas, in which case its a life or death decision.

I think you're being too kind about Abbott BTW

Bit abstract this, as I'm not really seriously considering the big move....AT THIS STAGE. However, on our recent holiday in Britain, me and the wife (Aussie) had a few rather terse discussions around the subject of moving back.

What had crystallised in my mind whilst away from Aus was that I really don't know how I'd cope if Abbott gets re-elected come 2016. I could forgive Australia for being duped into voting for him once....but TWICE??!

Anyway, I expressed this view to the wife who said it was a ridiculous reason to move back, as on a day to day level it has no impact on our lives. TBH I can see what she is saying.

In terms of other motivations, I'd like to be surrounded by family but if I'm absolutely honest, I think its more the 'landscape' of Britain that draws me back: the gentle rolling hills, footpaths, bridleways, long grass, mud, creaky old pubs, soft fluffy grass, the smell of cow pats...

I'm rambling.....

You are in a catch 22 mate....your wife is aussie and will long to go back to oz after a british winter....best you stay and enjoy what life has to offere over there mate.

You are in a catch 22 mate....your wife is aussie and will long to go back to oz after a british winter....best you stay and enjoy what life has to offere over there mate.

Not necessarily, my wife is Australian and she loves living in England, despite the winters.

Ah, thanks. I agree as the only reason it would be stupid, unless of course we were Tamil asylum seekers on temporary protection visas, in which case its a life or death decision.

I think you're being too kind about Abbott BTW

Well if you we're a Tamil asylum seeker you'd have no choice one way or the other, however a least he was honest about his asylum policies and the people voted for him, so you could say in this instance the government is reflecting the will of the people.

Well if you we're a Tamil asylum seeker you'd have no choice one way or the other, however a least he was honest about his asylum policies and the people voted for him, so you could say in this instance the government is reflecting the will of the people.

Which brings us back to the sentiment in the OP: if this IS the will of the people, would you want to stay living in such a country?

We lived there for 7 years prior to moving here (6 years ago.....:wink:)

Interesting question! to be honest I can't answer it.

Which is why I implied that voting them in once is at best understandable, whereas re-electing them for a 2nd term confirms that the majority (or a very significant minority) of Australians are...how can I put this nicely...a bit bonkers

Mind you if you're expecting the other rabble to have a much different asylum policy, I think you are going to be disappointed.

True mate, Bill Shorten's silence on the handling of the Tamil boat people is deafening

Archived