Did you really do your homework before moving to OZ?

Guest Pommie1

Guest Pommie1

I am just curious as to how many of you actually did some real significant research before moving to Australia?

Did you realise just how expensive it really is to live here?

I guess for me (and I do take responsibility) I was in the 'living the dream' bubble and had no real concept on what living here would actually be like. I did some homework and came over with saving which vanished within 4 months.

The sheer cost of rent (and what you get for your money is just pathetic), car, bills, dental, medical, childcare fees and the rest. And there are fees for everything! Although wages are said to be higher here, it really doesn't make a difference when the cost of living is extortionate!!

In fact I am now seeing more and more people say are worse off here than they were in the UK.

3 years on and I am now a single (solo) parent. (Came over here with partner from UK, who now has nothing to do with myself and my child)

I have gone from having a great job in the UK, rent was cheaper, costs of living fantastic and living comfortably, and now struggling everyday just to get by.

There is little to no support here.

I just cant understand the ridiculous costs of simple things like food, transport...water rates etc.

Everything is above what the average or minimum wage can afford and its only getting worse.

Yes it is a beautiful place to live but so are many other places around the world. So why do Australia feel the need to send us all into dept and depression.

Many say this is the country only the rich can afford and I am starting to wonder if it ever going to be possible to save, buy a house, get dental care, even study for a potential career.

Feeling deflated.....

Sorry to hear about your situation; as I have not yet been to Oz (although moving in Aug) I cannot give you any tips or suggestions. From reading other posts, many people who have been in situations similar to yours, have hung in there, and slowly but surely have clawed their way back into good times. When we are down, the hill looks harder to climb; if we look at the next 20 steps - climb that; and then the 20 steps after that, soon we will be on the othe side of the hill. Brighten up, you will make it through! Good luck.

I came over in 2007 and everything was pretty affordable. Ate out as a family every week, took a lot of trips up the coast and interstate. No probs saving up for family trip back to UK. Cost of living has skyrocketed and so now we have found ourselves skint at times. Last couple of years had to cut our cloth. So it wasn't IMO expensive for us when we came but now it is very challenging - even though we are on good wages. One of the major factors in our return to the UK will be that there's no way we can afford to retire here. You're not alone, and I haven't a clue how people on an average wage let alone minimum wage get by.

I'm really sorry to hear that your marriage broke down after you had made such a massive move :hug:. Moving is always going to be stressful, imagine even moving from say Glasgow to Cornwall. You would face all these same problems, except that dental for the kids would be free and you wouldn't to pay for health insurance. I know that what I pay for water is ridiculous as I'm on a meter and there's five of us living here. I feel that the water company are literally paying all the employee's wages with my annual water bill (and I am in the UK). My wages and my husband's wages have been the same for the last few years and the cost of everything has risen tremendously (I think) and even Primark has suddenly gone from cheap (a kid's top for a couple of quid) to expensive (the same top is now nearly £10).

I agree with Austrail. Don't look at everything as one big chunk but break it down a bit in to more manageable pieces. Focus on buying a car first (if that's your priority) then focus on saving a little bit each week for a deposit if you want to buy a home. You don't say what type of visa you are on but check with Centrelink that you are getting all the benefits that you are entitled too. If you are living in WA, contact keystart and see if you are eligible for any home ownership/shared ownership schemes. If you aren't in WA, check within the state where you live. See if you can access an online learning course that you can do in your spare time (and I appreciate as a single parent, that's probably only very little each day) and also see if you are eligible for FEE-HELP or similar to help you pay for the course. Check if you can get AUSTUDY if you decide to go part-time to college/uni/TAFE and part-time to work. Make sure you getting all the help with rental that you are entitled too.

If you are really unhappy, see if your ex partner will allow you to return to the UK with your child and start again back in the UK. If you like Australia but are just finding things tough right now, then hang on in there and check regularly that you are getting whatever you are entitled too and try to make the ex pay some maintenance at least (assuming you know where he is).

Not sure if this helps but I hope things start to look up for you soon :hug:

I can honestly say that yes i did research and nothing has come as a surprise. I have a better lifestyle, i manage on one wage as i too am a single parent, yes rent expensive but i could have fit my old house into the sitting room alone of my new house, so gone from living in a pokey 2 bed terrace with a small garden to a huge 4 bed bungalow with pool and gardens. We have take out once a week and go out for meals regularly too. Ive had weekends away too.

Its funny how we have expectations of what we want to have to live our lives and what is actually reality. The problem with a lot of us these days is we have been used to good wages, fairly cheap living and housing and that has now all changed. As resources are limited in world terms and with demand from the third world I am afraid that our lives are going to change and become more like the lives of our parents. Being older I often look at stuff we buy now and think back to how it was when we had to buy a house and have children. Because we both worked there was no child support or spousal tax rebates. No child care help, and child care was just as expensive in those years as it is now comparable to wages.

These days in Aus there is a lot of help for single parents, despite what the government is doing. If single parents want to retrain and learn they get more money to help with their family and their costs of training are negligible in the scheme of things. Its finding out what is available and using it that is needed. Visiting the Citizens Advice Bureau and finding out is helpful. Sharing a house with another single parent is also a way of helping out with the finances. A lot of people rent out a room now to help with the mortgage.

These are things that were normal when I was in my younger years, we did not expect much help and we did not get any. We were not on film star wages, especially women and we knew as women that there was no point in trying to get a mortgage unless we had a huge deposit. So we managed we brought the family up and looking back it was ok did not starve.

So unfortunately we are going to see more of a return to that sort of life than everyone getting richer and having a holiday three times a year etc.

Things go in circles and we are coming up to the bottom of a circle I believe.

Good luck op hope you can sort it out and manage and retrain.

Sorry to hear you are struggling.I'm on a career break atm (I'm a resident of Oz but live in the UK)and been here for 3 mths so far.I can't vouch for everything as I am predominantly staying with my elderly Mum,and in between that staying with other members of my family so I am not "going it alone"so to speak.I've just paid my Mum's electricity bill for her last week,it was $189 for 2 mths which I don't think is expensive.I have to say though I have noticed this time around (I visit every 2 yrs or so)my family members seem to be more savvy with their electric use.My sisters house is open plan,and when the sun goes down,they have one light on!I can't even read a book its that dark!lol They all seem to turn everything off at the wall,which in itself is'nt a bad idea actually,its someothing I've done for years,not to save money but because I'm abit of an eco warrior!Saw an ad on tv recently,a solar company offering 11 solar panels for $2,399 which I think is pretty good (not sure if that included the install??).

Food wise,I havent seen anything really and looked in horror at it.Example,my Mums fruit and veg shop has 1kg carrots for 99c,half a cabbage $1.50,5kg bag spuds $2.50.I'm not into junk food myself so havent priced any up but I am quite sure if I lived here,I could manage food wise pretty cheap (I used to grow my own when I lived in Oz,and still do in the UK).Coffee (instant)seems expensive here but ground coffee is quite cheap (buy a plunger/cafetiere)Foodland (A Sth Oz supermarket chain)has bread for $1.99 a loaf.Meat and fish seems reasonable,my sister brought last week 3 large Basa fillets for $2.74!Household cleaning products and toiletries do seem quite expensive.Garnier roll on deo was 1 pound in the UK when I left,here's its $4.95.I did find yesterday in a chemist in a Westfield Centre,really nice boxed luxury natural twin pack soaps,a few diff scents $1.50 per twin pack.Now thats cheap right?I've used the soap this morning and its very very nice!Washing powder/capsules etc are pretty expensive also.

Travel (which I knew anyway)is expensive from Australia.My sister mentioned this to me this morning,that holidays here are classed as a luxury for most people,including themselves,and they are both working,with no kids at home.

If you are planning to move here,and know you will be on limited income,it is not going to be much fun if you have to drop your standard of living.I would imagine most people emigrate for the supposed "better life"so to come here and be struggling would not be good.Not much fun grocery shopping and all you can afford if the cheap home brand stuff!No fun either if you are dreading the bills coming in and have limited funds to pay them.

Petrol here in Sth Oz is currently between $1.51-$1.56 per litre.Some of my family live in the burbs of Adelaide,and have no pubs within walking distance,so either have to drive or get a cab.They have a small local shopping centre for essentials,but have to drive to a large Westfield,so unless you're lucky enough to live close by to these things,expect to drive to bus it.

I researched researched and researched so I had no surprises but no one can predict the failure of a marriage and having to manage if the partner leaves. I had the exact thing happen to me in the UK and had to struggle on my own wage with no financial help from my EX. It was a massive struggle to feed and clothe my two daughters and the childcare costs all but used all my salary especially at school holiday times. Maybe a move back to the UK might help but I'm not sure it will help financially. I wish you all the best at this difficult time in your life, I know from experience things do get better, hang on in there :hug:

I did no research at all. My partner (Australian) said hey, let's move to Australia!...and so we did.

Like you Pommie1, got here in 2010 with what I thought were substantial savings and it all went pretty quickly - not helped by having to pay $2,500 for my visa. We've pretty much been living from pay check to pay check for nearly 4 years now and I've had enough of it. Even with both of us working it's been hard and we so far haven't managed to save any money.

I know for many people, the move to Australia has been a happy and successful one, but not for us. I would definitely urge anyone thinking of relocating here to very seriously think about what it means for them. I wish I had.

Yes, I am a whinging pom :)

We certainly researched things like the cost of housing, food and cars. And how much savings we'd need to live off initially. Assessing the job market was harder; a job on Seek doesn't always mean a job on the ground, so you have to apply some kind of fudge factor.

Some things are unresearchable; can you stand the heat/humidity etc. And how you'll react long-term once the initial excitement has worn off.

Nup- we really did nothing. It was before the days of internet access and there was really very little information around. I thought there would be kangaroos hopping around everywhere and had no idea of the size of Melbourne, thought it would be like a little country town. When we arrived I was shocked at the drive from Tullamarine to the city- I thought,'yuk, what have we done?' Thankfully we discovered the Eastern suburbs after a while.

Hi all,

It’s great to hear about experiences and the trials and tribulations some of you have been through on your journey. I'm hoping that it all works out you in the end.

We have done a fair bit of research and feel we have covered most bases. However, there is always the fear of the unknown, holiday after holiday to a location doesn't really set you up for the ‘monumentalness’ (think I just made that word up) of a life changing move.

When you say expensive?

Where abouts in the UK have you moved from? London is stupidly expensive.

We live in central London, and pay what would be around the $600 rent a week on a small 1 bedroom flat + an additional $180 a month council tax on a month.

Savings ? I know this is slightly a personal question but would be good to know what people initially budgeted for the move (excluding flights and visa costs) When you say substantial how much are you talking?

If I'm honest, I'm having a few sleepless nights about the rapidly approaching move. I'm very excited 'but'.... I can't work out the 'but' at the moment. Perhaps it’s just the fear of unknown and never being out of work previously/having to start from scratch somewhere new, etc...

We lived in London and now live in an equivalent area in Melbourne. I would say Melbourne is more expensive and the salaries less than London rates. Perhaps your rent would get you a bigger place here.

Thanks EKF,

That's useful information, We're actually heading to Sydney. Although, I know what to expect as holiday there, spent protracted periods playing cricket, but never actually worked in Australia. Wife is Aussie and keeps telling me everything will be fine and to just embrace it. Constantly ringing in my ears is her advice 'not to compare anything'. Funnily enough, when she first got to the UK 4 years ago she thought in her own words 'London is way out of control expensive'.

Salaries less than London rates? Is it not dependant on the sector you work in? From the research I've so far done in regards to my profession, salaries would seem to be on par exceed what I'm currently picking up in London (based on a fluctuation of the exchange rate of up to +/-15%). This may not universal but through initial scoping and due diligence that was my conclusion.

At the time I felt like we did a huge amount of research and we backed it up with a reccie. We moved in 2008 when the exchange rate was 2.6 so everything seemed cheap back then, we knew our salaries would be less but with the median house price in a few of the suburbs we had researched around $500k we looked forward to a 'downshifted' but comfortable lifestyle.

To be honest there were warning bells on our reccie but my OH was so committed to the dream that he sung loudly over them :) We went to home opens in the suburbs we had ear marked and realised the median price houses were dreadful compared to our house in the UK. We moved out to look at suburbs with 'land and home' packages and hated the distance and sterility. We visited the school we had applied for for our son and withdrew the application. (Un)fortunately my OH had two interviews and was offered both jobs whilst we were on our reccie and we just didn't stop and analyse the results of our research!

We were naive in believing money didn't matter and that we'd be happy with a simple Australian life of beach and BBQ. I would say the chances are the lifestyle you have in the UK will largely be the one you want in Australia so if going out for dinner, going to see bands etc. is what you do now you will still want to do it and those kind of things are much more expensive. It also impacted our ability to make friends as we often couldn't afford to accept invites, we would have to think twice about even going to a BBQ if it meant we had to 'bring a plate' and some drink. I am not sure we could have 'researched' that more - perhaps living in the UK on reduced means for a year or two? But we truly believed the weather/lifestyle would compensate, we also had good friends already in the UK who we'd be comfortable to say 'we can't come we're broke' to.

I don't know if it would have turned out differently if we had been better off, I don't think so because in the end we just didn't think Australia was 'worth it'. 'It' being living and raising our son in a very different culture away from extended family.

I also agree that until you have lived in the heat (not just holiday'd) and with the flies, ants etc. you cannot really know how you will adapt.

Thanks EKF,

That's useful information, We're actually heading to Sydney. Although, I know what to expect as holiday there, spent protracted periods playing cricket, but never actually worked in Australia. Wife is Aussie and keeps telling me everything will be fine and to just embrace it. Constantly ringing in my ears is her advice 'not to compare anything'. Funnily enough, when she first got to the UK 4 years ago she thought in her own words 'London is way out of control expensive'.

Salaries less than London rates? Is it not dependant on the sector you work in? From the research I've so far done in regards to my profession, salaries would seem to be on par exceed what I'm currently picking up in London (based on a fluctuation of the exchange rate of up to +/-15%). This may not universal but through initial scoping and due diligence that was my conclusion.

Our salaries were less than Edinburgh rates, let alone London but I agree it depends on the sector - on the whole 'professionals' get paid less whereas 'trades' get paid more. Lots of exceptions of course.

Do not consider the exchange rate in your comparison, there is no universally agree 'cost of living' exchange rate but most people accept 2.2-2.5 as being realistic.

How are you doing your research? Job adverts are no indication of what you would actually get paid and the 'salary surveys' are very optimistic for a migrant - just to give you some idea for my profession $120k was considered average, the job I got actually paid $76k.

There are a lot of factors which make it harder for a new migrant to achieve their market worth in the first couple of years - when you don't have a job you're not in a strong bargaining position, you have no 'local knowledge', no local references and no 'word of mouth' recommendations, a preference for Australians over migrants. It can take even the most experienced professional 6 months to get any job let alone one that pays the salary they would expect.

Hi all,

It’s great to hear about experiences and the trials and tribulations some of you have been through on your journey. I'm hoping that it all works out you in the end.

We have done a fair bit of research and feel we have covered most bases. However, there is always the fear of the unknown, holiday after holiday to a location doesn't really set you up for the ‘monumentalness’ (think I just made that word up) of a life changing move.

When you say expensive?

Where abouts in the UK have you moved from? London is stupidly expensive.

We live in central London, and pay what would be around the $600 rent a week on a small 1 bedroom flat + an additional $180 a month council tax on a month.

Savings ? I know this is slightly a personal question but would be good to know what people initially budgeted for the move (excluding flights and visa costs) When you say substantial how much are you talking?

If I'm honest, I'm having a few sleepless nights about the rapidly approaching move. I'm very excited 'but'.... I can't work out the 'but' at the moment. Perhaps it’s just the fear of unknown and never being out of work previously/having to start from scratch somewhere new, etc...

We spent £70k on the move - plenty of people would throw their hands up in horror at that, and there has been a few heated debates on that subject over the years on here.

That includes the cost of a reccie, all relocation costs and living costs all the time we weren't working. We were used to being affluent and not particularly trying to do things on the cheap at the time - for example we had two months in a holiday rental when we first arrived at $700 a week (so actually quite a cheap one!).

I'd say very hard to formulate a complete picture of what is ahead regardless of homework undertaken. There are far too many contrary views on Forums and related information. I'd say as much to do with the make up of the person and expectations as much as homework.Years before The Internet, a journal called Australian Outlook, was produced monthly selling the virtues of Australia. Totally one sided but picked it up every month. The other way to information was gained through the free weekly mags distributed throughout London or going To Australia House and reading the newspapers of the intended state moving to. Rather a simple and uncomplicated world. As such a lot of the migrants in those days arrived on a wing and a prayer. Information overload can be as much a hindrance as a help.

Thanks Lady R and Flag of conv,

I agree with both, we are not expecting to be an easy transition, perhaps I shouldn't really be focussing on forum posts (as mentioned before, its great hearing about other posters experiences) and just enjoying the moving experience rather than worring about stuff we are yet to experience! Although, being a project manager by trade I have to look at all the risk involved with the move and try to mitigate as much as possible.

I guess it's the employment horror stories that really scare the hell out of me, for example 'Local experience' this may not come into play as some facets of IT are truly global (SDLC), you build software the same way in the UK as you would do in Australia or USA.

I dont know, I'm just panicking as I've only got 5 weeks to go. Sorry for the dribble I'm writing at the moment, just never been a position of the possibility of not having a job.

Totally agree with this. Whilst it's good to do the research on suburbs, jobs, cost of living etc, I can imagine there is only so much that can be done, and a lot of things will have to be dealt with "on the fly" after you've arrived in Australia.

You can prepare as much as possible/practical but you may run the danger of assuming you know *everything*, when actually what you've got is theoretical knowledge, not practical/living knowldge - which is very different.

Good luck - I'm sure it'll be fine! And if not, use your skills as a PM, to dig a way out of the situation(s) you may find yourself in... ;)

I'd say very hard to formulate a complete picture of what is ahead regardless of homework undertaken. There are far too many contrary views on Forums and related information. I'd say as much to do with the make up of the person and expectations as much as homework.Years before The Internet, a journal called Australian Outlook, was produced monthly selling the virtues of Australia. Totally one sided but picked it up every month. The other way to information was gained through the free weekly mags distributed throughout London or going To Australia House and reading the newspapers of the intended state moving to. Rather a simple and uncomplicated world. As such a lot of the migrants in those days arrived on a wing and a prayer. Information overload can be as much a hindrance as a help.

Cheers Vicky,

Again totally agree with your comments, until your on the ground everything you know is going to be theoretical. However, with the wife originally coming from Sydney at least I have some metrics to base assumptions on. Job propects on paper look good, but again until you're on the ground doesn't really count for much. That's what i'm finding, CV looks great and we'd love to have you in for a chat but not until you're onshore.

BTW - Love a little bit of on the fly issue management!

Thanks Lady R and Flag of conv,

I agree with both, we are not expecting to be an easy transition, perhaps I shouldn't really be focussing on forum posts (as mentioned before, its great hearing about other posters experiences) and just enjoying the moving experience rather than worring about stuff we are yet to experience! Although, being a project manager by trade I have to look at all the risk involved with the move and try to mitigate as much as possible.

I guess it's the employment horror stories that really scare the hell out of me, for example 'Local experience' this may not come into play as some facets of IT are truly global (SDLC), you build software the same way in the UK as you would do in Australia or USA.

I dont know, I'm just panicking as I've only got 5 weeks to go. Sorry for the dribble I'm writing at the moment, just never been a position of the possibility of not having a job.

It is my profession too and I found it was not the same at all - things I took as basic in the UK were seen as ground-breaking (& hey i took some good credit for introducing them!), I presented a paper to the executive board members and the Chair asked our auditor if software development was done this way in other companies in Perth - his answer was 'No, but it should be'.

And I'm afraid 'local experience' very much comes into play, just like in the UK there are a number of major employers and without their names on your CV it's harder to break in. Interestingly I had the same issue when we moved back, I got knocked back for a couple of roles because I had not worked at a major UK bank in the previous 5 years (the 10 before that were discounted)

You're going in 5 weeks so there is no point me panicking you more though - my advice would be not to discount any opportunity even if it would normally be 'beneath you' - the contacts you make will be invaluable.

Thanks Lady R,

I really do appreciate the advice, I guess I would be happy to start off with a foot in the door job, routine, normality and integration is my initial goal. If i had to take a job that didn't pay what I perhaps was expecting then, I'd have to take the hit knowing at that 6 months later there would be a ROI on taking something that usually wouldn't have appealed.

At the end of the day if I have to do it that way to get 'local experience' then that's what I’m going to have to be do. In your opinion from an digital ICT stand point, Perth is a lot smaller market than say Sydney which would make it slightly more completive for migrants? Does it make a difference what visa you have regarding employability?

Thanks Lady R,

I really do appreciate the advice, I guess I would be happy to start off with a foot in the door job, routine, normality and integration is my initial goal. If i had to take a job that didn't pay what I perhaps was expecting then, I'd have to take the hit knowing at that 6 months later there would be a ROI on taking something that usually wouldn't have appealed.

At the end of the day if I have to do it that way to get 'local experience' then that's what I’m going to have to be do. In your opinion from an digital ICT stand point, Perth is a lot smaller market than say Sydney which would make it slightly more completive for migrants? Does it make a difference what visa you have regarding employability?

Perth is smaller and maybe the 'who you know' mentality is stronger but I played it to my advantage, I developed a reputation that meant I could pick and choose where to work - a big fish in a small pond :)

I can't comment on visa' really - I would say all PR visas would be equal - temporary visas make it a bit harder unless you are going for contracts.

Would the situation you find yourself in be any different anywhere else? I doubt it. You've just had a run of bad luck, failed relationships etc. No sense in blaming it on Aus. We were back in the UK lst year and to be honest things were just as expensive there too. It's been a few years since you were there and prices haven't stagnated, they have exactly the same issues as here.

Archived