Last Tango in Halifax

Sustain

I'm from Halifax!! And I'm leaving, that says all there is to say about Halifax:laugh:

Halifax is a typical northern working class town, like most towns it has areas that are deprived and run down and it has affluent areas and obviously all that comes in between. It lies about 15 miles from Leeds and 25 from Manchester with easy links to the Motorway network.

It cannot under any circumstances be measured against Harrogate which is a very affluent area!

P.S. I have a 2 bed apartment that overlooks the town in a very nice area for sale, I've just renovated it completely and it's on the market at £77k, I doubt you can but a garage in Harrogate for that! If anyones interested the PM me

Edited by flatpack

If you want hills, look to the west of Harrogate in the Pennines. My grandparents and Uncle used to live there, we used to visit and take the dogs around Swinsty/Fewston reservoirs, very nice part of the world. You'd probably get slightly more for your money nearer Otley. Or if you prefer flatter land go towards Wetherby or York. Love York!

My sister lives in Hebden Bridge just west of Halifax. I went up there last year and was amazed at how long it took to get between places in West Yorkshire, so many 20/30/40 speed limits it drove me nuts!

Ripponden and Hebden Bridge are both lovely, lots of farming around and beautiful walks. As for commuting - not sure about the train links in Ripponden but from Hebden Bridge you can get a train easily to many major cities/towns (Halifax, Bradford, Leeds, Manchester, York etc etc). Lots of people live here (Hebden Bridge) for the countryside and commute to one of the cities by train for work. Lots of good grammar and private schools around and about if thats what you are looking for. State schools are ok (I am a teacher in a lock secondary here) but a lot of the higher achieving pupils go to the private schools or sit the entrance exams for the selective schools.

Ripponden and Hebden Bridge are both lovely, lots of farming around and beautiful walks. As for commuting - not sure about the train links in Ripponden but from Hebden Bridge you can get a train easily to many major cities/towns (Halifax, Bradford, Leeds, Manchester, York etc etc). Lots of people live here (Hebden Bridge) for the countryside and commute to one of the cities by train for work. Lots of good grammar and private schools around and about if thats what you are looking for. State schools are ok (I am a teacher in a lock secondary here) but a lot of the higher achieving pupils go to the private schools or sit the entrance exams for the selective schools.

We are currently looking at Harrogate Ladies College. Have you any views on this school?

Hebden bridge looks stunning, especially like canals and would love to get a canal boat myself.

Edited by Sustain

sorry I don't know Harrogate really (have been shopping there once!). Looks like you have your sights set on Harrogate, I hope someone will be able to help you that knows it well. I thought though as you said about farming areas and reasonable commutes this area (hebden) is perfect. I think though all of the grammar and private schools here are mainly mixed sex ones.

These are the only two independent schools I know in this area (for KS3/4/5):

http://www.rishworth-school.co.uk

http://www.rastrick-independent.co.uk

A few grammars though:

https://www.nhgs.co.uk

http://www.brgs.org.uk

http://www.crossleyheath.org.uk

yes a canal boat would be lovely ;-)

try barkisland, stainland, holmfirth, kirkburton, highburton look on rightmove.co.uk have you thought about North Yorkshire, some nice little market towns ie grassington is a lovely yorkshire village, try the Yorkshire Dales, stunning scenery and beautiful villages.

try barkisland, stainland, holmfirth, Hebden Bridge, soyland, ripponden, rishworth, kirkburton, highburton, look on rightmove.co.uk have you thought about North Yorkshire, some nice little market towns ie grassington is a lovely yorkshire village. I think Rishworth have a good private school.

try barkisland, stainland, holmfirth, Hebden Bridge, soyland, ripponden, rishworth, kirkburton, highburton, look on rightmove.co.uk have you thought about North Yorkshire, some nice little market towns ie grassington is a lovely yorkshire village. I think Rishworth have a good private school.

Going to be tough decision making with so many great places to choose from