Are Rekki trips worth it?

Lass81

Hi all my husband and I are 80% sure we want to go back to live in the UK, although this does change from day to day. On my bad days I'm desperate to leave immediately and can't bear another day here. Then I calm down and realise Oz isn't so bad and there are good points too. Having said that I know if money was no object I would live in the UK.

Im just interested to hear from anyone who did a trip back just to see if you were making the right choice?

we have been back only once in 5 years but at that time we were not thinking of coming back.

Is the expense of a trip worth it? Are we just better off slugging it out and saving to go back permanently?

Also does anyone who has moved back still had any outstanding debts i.e credit cards? Did you pay them off completely before you left? If not how easy did or do you find paying them from the UK?

I think it would be difficult to gauge by going back for a holiday. On a visit, you would be exotic - you would live on the other side of the world, you would have pockets full of Australian receipts and tickets; you would make a trip to Coles sound like something wonderful. People would be overjoyed to see you. But once you move back, you're the same as anyone else. The things you find novel or nostalgic when you go back would quickly become humdrum again.

This doesn't mean moving to England would be wrong. But you would need to ask yourself what were the reasons for moving in the first place and do they still hold true. I know from experience of moving from England to Ireland and back again that moving back is never possible - home has changed whilst you were away.

I would definitely recommend a rekki! My partner secured a job in may last year on ours & we were living in oz by sept 2013. The rekki was specifically that for us & not really a holiday. We looked at areas to job's, areas to live, rentals opportunities, we viewed show houses & we went to coles! When we did arrive we where familiar with the place already which certainly helped us to settle in quickly. So for us the rekki provided us with the opportunity to work & live in oz with some financial security knowing we had jobs waiting for us.

Hi all my husband and I are 80% sure we want to go back to live in the UK, although this does change from day to day. On my bad days I'm desperate to leave immediately and can't bear another day here. Then I calm down and realise Oz isn't so bad and there are good points too. Having said that I know if money was no object I would live in the UK.

Im just interested to hear from anyone who did a trip back just to see if you were making the right choice?

we have been back only once in 5 years but at that time we were not thinking of coming back.

Is the expense of a trip worth it? Are we just better off slugging it out and saving to go back permanently?

Also does anyone who has moved back still had any outstanding debts i.e credit cards? Did you pay them off completely before you left? If not how easy did or do you find paying them from the UK?

After five years you should know your mind. What is the point of a rec? It will prolong the time w/hen you finally pull the plug. Or alternatively make coming to a final conclusion that much the harder. You know the limitations of Perth. You know where you came from. You clearly prefer the original brand better. What else is there to know?

I did just this in April, and am going back in July. We used the trip to visit sick parents, and rented a flat instead of staying in hotels. I just needed to get a feel for the UK again, to make sure I wasn't just remembering all the quaint stuff. If it was up to me, I would have just stayed, but needed to come back and collect my pets, hand in notice etc. For me the reverse recci was worth it but as with anything, if you can't really afford it there is no point planning. If money is tight, could just one of you go back? No idea about credit cards, don't have any.

I'm not a great fan of a recce TBH but everyone is different. They are rather too much "holiday" for me and everyone loves a holiday.

Yes, that's the thing. We tried to keep feet on ground, caring for the sick olds and living in a house helped in that regard.

Just wanted to add that the % of me wanting to move changes daily not the thought or idea of it. The things that make me change my mind about it are the predictable weather and the earning capability here. But all said and done I don't think these are enough to keep me here. Think I'm just being indecisive, scared & petrified.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally I would go back before committing to the move. Sometimes we only remember the good things and forget the reasons why we wanted to leave in the first place. All I can remember if bread at 19p, baked beans at 5p, The Yorkshire Dales, country cottages, inglenook fireplaces, and White Christmases and let's face it we don't get many, but seriously that's all I remember. I've forgot how overcrowded it is, how the houses are so small, how cold it is, etc.

nO....ONCE YOU ARE BACK YOU WILL THINK OF THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT OZ AND GO BACK....WHEN YOU GET BACK TO OZ YOU WILL THINK OF THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE UK AND GO BACK, STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

Personally I would go back before committing to the move. Sometimes we only remember the good things and forget the reasons why we wanted to leave in the first place. All I can remember if bread at 19p, baked beans at 5p, The Yorkshire Dales, country cottages, inglenook fireplaces, and White Christmases and let's face it we don't get many, but seriously that's all I remember. I've forgot how overcrowded it is, how the houses are so small, how cold it is, etc.

you are right on some points ....overcrowded , in the main , yes ......houses are so small , not all of them .....cold , yes , but not as cold as it used to be , generally warmer and definitely wetter , its june , ground is still sodden .....and when it rains ....boy , does it rain

On the plus side , the level of choice is massive ......we haven't done a lot this year ourselves , but some of the couples just took off to Amsterdam for the weekend on a whim ......the lads have been over to france, turkey and spain this year to play golf ......

we don't have the beach ....but some of the country walks we do are great through rural Warwickshire ....walk , pub , walk , pub ......

generally , if you have a few quid in your pocket , and live in a decent area , the worlds your lobster ...Rodney

Archived