What is the best way to send a present back to the UK?

Guest Adamh14

Guest Adamh14

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Australia in March and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for some advice. I want to send a present back to my Dad in the UK for Father’s Day but am unsure as the best way to do this. How does everyone else send presents back to the UK? I have looked at postage and it is really expensive. Father’s Day is also on the 15th June and so I am running out of time if I do decide to go that route.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Adz

Yup, I used to order on line too - Amazon, Hotel Chocolat, whatever takes your fancy! Alternatively you could pretend you didn't know that UK Fathers Day is 15 June and just go with the Aussie Fathers Day first week in September and send something via mail.

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Australia in March and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for some advice. I want to send a present back to my Dad in the UK for Father’s Day but am unsure as the best way to do this. How does everyone else send presents back to the UK? I have looked at postage and it is really expensive. Father’s Day is also on the 15th June and so I am running out of time if I do decide to go that route.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Adz

If you send something from Australia in addition to the postage remember that the UK import duty kicks in at around 15pound for imports 25 pound for gifts ? (not 100% sure of exact figure) If you send something in excess of the import threshold then your father would have to pay import tax on the item. Far simpler to order on line from a UK outlet.

If anyone does want to use gift vouchers for their friends and relatives in the UK there is a reputable company that I use called ... High street vouchers .com .. if you use Google you can find them. I have used them on many occasions to send vouchers to my Grandkids in the UK. a decent selection of vouchers for most shops and I am certainly not a director or employee.

Carl

If you send something from Australia in addition to the postage remember that the UK import duty kicks in at around 15pound for imports 25 pound for gifts ? (not 100% sure of exact figure) If you send something in excess of the import threshold then your father would have to pay import tax on the item. Far simpler to order on line from a UK outlet.

Back when I left 6.5 years ago the gift limit for import duty was about £35. I'm not sure what it is now. Another thing to consider though it that postage is counted in the value!!! Crazy.

If anyone does want to use gift vouchers for their friends and relatives in the UK there is a reputable company that I use called ... High street vouchers .com .. if you use Google you can find them. I have used them on many occasions to send vouchers to my Grandkids in the UK. a decent selection of vouchers for most shops and I am certainly not a director or employee.

Carl

I think that's the one I've used Carl

Just incase anyone is looking for a serious advert my mrs just buys on amazon. They will gift rap and include whatever personal message you want. To top it off they sell almost everything and normally at good prices.

Some people are bothered about the whole tax avoidance issue, I'm not one of them.

Just incase anyone is looking for a serious advert my mrs just buys on amazon. They will gift rap and include whatever personal message you want. To top it off they sell almost everything and normally at good prices.

Some people are bothered about the whole tax avoidance issue, I'm not one of them.

Do you mean import duty? Luckily nobody I've sent stuff to has ever been hit with it, but it's never nice when they have to pay a fair amount to receive a prezzy.

I always use the internet. There are lots of gift companies in the UK as well as many retailers who offer a gift service. I tend to favour Lush for the girls!

I did this one year and it happened to be the year Lush had their payment system hacked into. Luckily they were a good enough company to email everyone effected to check your bank accounts. Mine had indeed had extra money removed. It took a bit to get it sorted from the other side of the world though.

Do you mean import duty? Luckily nobody I've sent stuff to has ever been hit with it, but it's never nice when they have to pay a fair amount to receive a prezzy.

NoNo you would order it from Amazon.co.uk so no import duty needed.

Just Amazon is in the public eye as it pays virtually no tax. Its not breaking the law at all so I don't know why people are upset. You can't blame people for not wanting to pay tax they don't have to pay.

Archived