When to go for good? Dilemma

Saviola

Howdi,

I am having a dilemma at the minute regarding when we should go for good :)

Visa all sorted, house sold, rental is with a family friend so no notice, work is a 3 months notice (but I am sure I can get out sooner) and pretty much every family and friend know we are on our way soon.

Part of me says go ASAP ie a month, another part says head for Xmas and have a month off and then there's the cautious side that says wait till next year and save some more.

Leaving now(ish) would be the hardest but it would also be like ripping a band aid off and maybe less painful in the long run.

Leaving for Xmas and relaxing for a few weeks sounds great; but it will be more expensive for accommodation and harder to find rentals/jobs during the summer holidays.

Leaving next year, I could potentially save more (but no guarantee) work and social life will start to become a bore as I am always looking forward to my departure.

How did you go about deciding your leave date?

I am currently hedging towards option 2 :)

Thanks for listening

Saviola

We did option 1 ,it was a mad rush,lol, especially as threw getting married into the mix too, but it worked for us we have no regrets about doing it that way.

Personally the thought of time off to settle over xmas sounds tempting but unless you have back up money you may struggle as flights, accommodation etc will be wayyy more expensive. As you said earlier ,jobs will be hard to come by as lots of companys would be shut down.

Tough one, let us know what you decide

Cal x

We are going in February. Reason being: if we go before Xmas, it will have to be far enough before Xmas, so that jobs/rental market doesn't slow down (as you mentioned). So this would mean packing up in September/early October at the latest, which for me, is too soon.

So we are going for a validation trip in August/September; a chance to look at suburbs/where we might like to live and I also plan to visit some recruitment agencies just to sniff around and see what's out there.

We might have got this wildly wrong, but logically it makes sense...

We initially decided new year new start and one last Xmas in the UK. I think the anticipation is getting too much now and with little to hold us up the pull is getting greater.

We have not done a Visa validation trip yet (have until March 15) but have been to Melbourne numerous times so not too worried about a 'reccie' plus it will save us some dollar.

We're going as soon as the house is sold. We've accepted an offer but the uncertainty of the crazy house buying process here is doing my head in.

Kids and I are going out to Oz to sort out some things while hubby continues to work here for another 3 or 4mo to give us a little pot of money to work with.

We are doing the recce in August and going 12 months later. We always planned it this way with our daughter finishing year 6 prep school next year and the chance to increase our savings but at times it does feel a drag waiting. We actually have too much time to organise everything and so end up over thinking, over planning and over preparing.

I would either go way before Christmas, or leave it until February. We were originally planning to move at the beginning of January, but due to one thing and another OH's work start date got pushed back. I was searching for accommodation etc for our Jan move, and to be honest it was impossible. Holiday rentals were all gone or they were thousands of dollars per week. After Feb the kids are back in school, short term/holiday rentals are back to (almost) sensible prices, and you will probably find the transition far easier. Same with November, not so much competition for a short-term let.

Thanks all for the input. Its not so much the cost of holiday rentals as we have a place we can use for 3 weeks, gratis, over the Xmas/New Years weeks. Its the potential morale hit from a slow job/rental market I am concerned about. We have nothing in UK to set a date for us, just our itchy feet.

Think we might put it off until January, new year new start still, and go on a 3-4 week 'holiday' before we hit the ground in February.

Difficult one this. After what seemed like forever, we now have the skills assessment complete and in the hand. While all that's been getting sorted out, my brother has announced he's getting married in September 15. Really can't justify, or afford, to come back for it, and we missed my other brothers wedding years back due to the arrival of our son, do cant miss this one. So, waiting til later in the year to get the visa with the plan being to fly out after the wedding. All good stuff, but the waiting reaks real havoc with the mind, wondering if we should still go etc, should we just apply now and go. We'll still go, but man alive its tough!!

our plan those is to hopefully have enough money gathered together to give us 6 months living expenses without necessarily needing a job. We will of course be looking, but the hope is that this will take some of the stress out of things. Time will tell though..

Archived