Thought some people doing their sums might find these figures useful

Median HOUSE prices - May 2014

Sydney $800,000

Melbourne $612,000

Perth $544,500

Brisbane/ Gold coast $482,000

Adelaide $415,000

These are from today's Age.

Might be worth pointing out that there are many suburbs further out, but still commutable ( especially in Perth) that are cheaper, just do your research.

Agree QSS, there's a 3 x 1 duplex for sale opposite me at the moment for $580,000 which is over the median - we're only 20 mins from the City.

Mmmm not strictly true - if you have 99 properties each with a value of $500,000 and one worth $1m then you will have 99% below the median.

NWM

more Mmmmmmmmm not strictly true either the median price is the point at which all sales at any given time are 50% below and 50% above the median, where as in reality prices are not that rounded as your simplified pricing, makes the calculation difficult for median, but your 99% correct for average.

Guest Guest66881
Happy with my 8 yr old 4 bed at $407K. All I've lost from my last one is a bit more space (which we don't miss) and a pool.

That's how we look at it, sold our last at a good time made good money, purchased this one good deal bigger (we need the room) intend on going nowhere for a few years so happy as piggies in shite we be. It's when people play the housing game it catches them out, and those who buy beyond their means to keep up with the Jones brigade, pity the poor sods really.

Archived