WHV To get There - Apply For De Facto While There?

dissolvedgirl

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advise really. The OH is an Australian citizen, and we're looking to move over to Queensland at around November time.

Now from what we've ascertained, to get me out there initially, we would want to apply for a WHV, then as soon as we're there apply for a De Facto relationship visa. The OH would basically be walking back into a good job, and I'm looking to work in the tourism/marketing/creative sector. We'd be renting property in the Gold Coast, and not engaging in any sort of backpacking etc.

How best would people advise to proceed? How successful do you think a De Facto visa application be in our situation? We've been together for over 3 and a half years, so wouldn't have any problem providing evidence etc.

Thanks!

Helen

Though if you go on a whv and apply for a partner visa then you could then apply to have the six month working restriction removed from your whv. OP you should be fine, this was the same path I took, though I wasn't able to have the working restriction lifted as I only applied at the end of my whv.

Thanks for your replies :)

I mean, I'm happy to do any sort of work really, around the GC area, while lodging my De Facto visa, as I know a lot of the more office based work wouldn't consider me on the WHV. Does anyone if going on a WHV would damage my application at all for a de Facto visa? I mean, is it 'looked down on' at all?

Thanks!

Hi I am not sure if you can apply here. I have just been granted my spouse visa I applied here in uk. As I understand it through my agent if you apply for your spouse visa in Australia u have to be in that country when granted. I believe that's the same as the uk so u would need to be here if applied here...although as I understand it it could just b a holiday back.

i would go on the WHV and apply out there although the waiting list could be longer over there depending on the demand...

best of luck

kara

DIBP only recognises two locations - Onshore and Offshore. If you apply onshore (i.e. in Australia), you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply offshore, you simply need to leave Australia for a couple of days when the visa is granted. A long weekend in New Zealand is the standard way to do it, although other options exist.

I'd think it's easier to apply now, and travel over on a WHV or tourist visa while waiting for the visa to be granted. A quick trip to NZ or Beli when your CO says your visa is ready, and you're all set. By the time your first 6-month job is up on the WHV, you may have your visa and be able to stay with that employer.

I'd think it's easier to apply now, and travel over on a WHV or tourist visa while waiting for the visa to be granted. A quick trip to NZ or Beli when your CO says your visa is ready, and you're all set. By the time your first 6-month job is up on the WHV, you may have your visa and be able to stay with that employer.

Agree with this option personally. Apply off shore in the UK, go over then in Nov on WHV and once your partner visa grant comes through you are sorted. Quick jaunt off shore for it to be granted and back to Aus.

Going over on a WHV and applying soon after arriving means you will most likely end up with your bridging visa not kicking in till your WHV expired and you may find it hard to get decent employment for a year on a WHV.

Going over on a WHV and applying soon after arriving means you will most likely end up with your bridging visa not kicking in till your WHV expired and you may find it hard to get decent employment for a year on a WHV.

Yep, I was just going to suggest a tourist visa instead of a WHV if you plan to apply onshore for this exact reason. Most tourist visas these days are 12-month visas but only allow three-month stays... that means at the end of your first three month-stay, as long as you'd already applied for your Partner Visa, your Bridging Visa A would kick in and you'd have full work rights much sooner than if you came over on a WHV.

Archived