It would seem the time has come to admit defeat....

SteveandKirsty

Alas, we are coming to the realisation that the dream is over….

Kirsty applied to Vetassess for a Skill Assessment in December and it has gone on, and on and on. We chased them up, where upon we finally had a half an answer last month. Not a totally negative one, but what theywere asking for Kirsty could not and with regret can not give. She had hoped to apply for a 190 visa for South Australia as a Laboratory Manager, a job she has done since 2009 with the same business she had worked in since 2002, straight from University. She meets the criteria in every way in terms of qualifications for points, age and so on. When we did speak to a migration agent last year, he seemed to think there would be “no issues” and it would be “straight forward”.

However, when Kirsty was promoted within to become a veterinary Laboratory Manager (one of the leading ones in the UK..) she was not given a new work contract per se, as the terms and conditions of her actual employment had not changed, as such, they let it roll over. On hindsight, of course they had changed and Kirsty should have requested a new contract, but she understandably didn’t think much of it at the time. However,Vetassess have highlighted this as being “no proof of when her actual startdate of becoming Laboratory Manager” was – despite us providing a plethora of other info from a letter of confirmation from her employer, other letters of confirmation between now and 2009, pay rise confirmation and even magazine article clippings showing her in the job title/role in 2010. It is the fact that there is no actual contract that appears to be the sticking point.

Kirsty did request her case officer at Vetassess contact her employer directly once again to (re) confirm but for whatever reason they donot appear to have done this. Her case is still being shown as “In progress” but surely it is now pretty much game over?!

This, and other reasons such as us being still unable to sell our property here for a price that we could afford to sell (the whole “housing bubble” thing is very sporadic and fickle it would appear) and the fact that the we keepreading and hearing that Adelaide/South Australia is in the doldrums and set toget much worse before it gets better, and that things are picking up in England(are they though, really?) and that our parents were far from approving of thepotential move, and looked set to create issues, has led us to think that thewhole thing is, with regret, just not set to be worth it.

I will admit that yes, the whole thing is my dream more than Kirsty’s but even so, she is also very bemused and confused that it appears to have fallen flat at the first hurdle over something so apparently trivial with Vetassess.

Not to mention they could have told her this after five weeks, rather than hanging her out to try for five months which we feel is apoor service.

C’est la vie I guess.

Guest guest30085

You haven't yet been given a final decision by Vetassess? Are you able to provide any other written evidence, maybe a letter from her employer?

Vetassess often run past the 12 weeks mentioned on their website. Mine took 17 weeks last year, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

As for your other concerns, then these are something you need to decide about, most of us are in the same boat, the housing market isn't that bouyant in some areas and with regards to parents, as hard as it is, they made their life choices and now you must make yours, whether that's to stop in the UK then maybe. I can see it's difficult for my parents but they've told me I have to go as I've worked to hard to get there.

Sorry just read you have a letter from employer

Yes, it was sent along with the very original application for assessment. Kirsty could get them to send another, but, it would only be almost the same as the first one which seems a little pointless for all concerned.

Just a little more info would be good from their end now... even if it is to say, "sorry negative"

I'm sorry to hear its not? Maybe worked out for you.

its such a weird process...who has to do what, take tests on this, get your card for that.

Yet, and can only speak for Perth ......it's full of people who just turned up on whim and got to stay, people who came in on one job but then went onto another totally different job...but still manage to get pr.

suppose its like the UK and benefits....if you know how to work the system.

my work colleague at the mo is from Leeds, she is just applying for pr, medicals booked. She has no degrees, never been to uni, but she will get in as a customer service officer. I could list you so many like that.

our saving grace is we have a really good agent here in Perth, if anybody knows how to get you in she does.

Not really sure what to suggest there, I have never received a new employment contract just because I have changed roles within an organisation either. I am surprised that letters from the employer will not suffice. Are you using a migration agent to handle the application? If so, what are they doing to help?

Not really sure what to suggest there, I have never received a new employment contract just because I have changed roles within an organisation either. I am surprised that letters from the employer will not suffice. Are you using a migration agent to handle the application? If so, what are they doing to help?

It has stumped us too. And, best part of a week on, nothing has changed. We did seek the advice of a migration agent in the first instance but he was so assuring that the process would practically be a formality we decided to do it ourselves.

I'm sorry to hear its not? Maybe worked out for you.

its such a weird process...who has to do what, take tests on this, get your card for that.

Yet, and can only speak for Perth ......it's full of people who just turned up on whim and got to stay, people who came in on one job but then went onto another totally different job...but still manage to get pr.

suppose its like the UK and benefits....if you know how to work the system.

my work colleague at the mo is from Leeds, she is just applying for pr, medicals booked. She has no degrees, never been to uni, but she will get in as a customer service officer. I could list you so many like that.

our saving grace is we have a really good agent here in Perth, if anybody knows how to get you in she does.

That's bloody irritating. I have been a PA/Secretary since I was 18. I have spent the last 3 years being knocked back even for basic office junior jobs!!

• 4 weeks later...

Lots has been happening over the past few weeks hence no update. Vetassess were a lot more helpful in the end, it appeared that there was a breakdown in communication which was naturally partly our fault and it took conversations between Kirsty and her case officer there to sort it.

But the long and the short of it is; Kirsty received a positive assessment today !!

So, we are now back on track... (ish... but happy times never the less!)

Guest guest30085
Lots has been happening over the past few weeks hence no update. Vetassess were a lot more helpful in the end, it appeared that there was a breakdown in communication which was naturally partly our fault and it took conversations between Kirsty and her case officer there to sort it.

But the long and the short of it is; Kirsty received a positive assessment today !!

So, we are now back on track... (ish... but happy times never the less!)

Congrats S&K!

That has taken a long time, but it's done now :)

Hopefully the rest of the process runs more smoothly :)

Good luck that's good news. With regards to your house would renting it out not be an option and rent over here for a while? That's what we have done, albeit we're on a 457 so we thought it safer to keep our home until we knew what we would be doing but hopefully we'll apply for pr and then we can maybe look at selling our house, which is also an advantage to being further down the line because we'll know where we want to live in order to buy! Just a thought to help things along [emoji6]

Good luck that's good news. With regards to your house would renting it out not be an option and rent over here for a while? That's what we have done, albeit we're on a 457 so we thought it safer to keep our home until we knew what we would be doing but hopefully we'll apply for pr and then we can maybe look at selling our house, which is also an advantage to being further down the line because we'll know where we want to live in order to buy! Just a thought to help things along [emoji6]

There are various options that we now need to go back over. We would prefer to sell, as we could do with the revenue from that to help fund everything, but you are correct in that having something to fall back on is good too.

You never know mate. I have a friend who I went to Uni with. We emigrated in 92 and sent him an e-mail after being here for about 5 years. He was stuck working in London and felt he was well and truly in the rat race and fancied emigrating. He was single when he applied and got put in a "pool". He had given up hope of being accepted. Then, a few years later, he was married with 2 kids, got a letter from the AUs embassy to go for medicals and they were here, getting their passports stamped 3 months later.

Good luck.

That's brilliant S&K - Just out of curiosity what was actually wrong with regards to communication? I've been dealing with them and have absolutely nothing but praise for everyone I've spoken to or emailed!

Good news never the less!

There are various options that we now need to go back over. We would prefer to sell, as we could do with the revenue from that to help fund everything, but you are correct in that having something to fall back on is good too.

Don't know your situation but we wouldn't have been able to afford to settle in and make a go of it without the money from the UK house sale.

We have lived in Adelaide for 7 years and feel we made the right choice for us coming to Adelaide (our visa enabled us to go anywhere in Australia).

In terms of selling/renting your house, it can also be down to timing. When we were getting ready to go I had people saying we should rent our property out as prices were still going to go up, but to me it was blindingly obvious that the housing market was all going to turn to s**t and we needed to sell up and take the equity and run! 7 years later we could buy our property in the UK back for a third less than what we sold it for (we recently returned to the UK for a visit and a property the same as ours was up for sale and for approx the past 5-6 years they have been selling at a third less than what we sold for). So for us, selling up was definitely the right thing to do.

Archived