employer sponsorship?

alexdeeney

cany anyone put me in the right direction on how to start the process of getting an employer to sponsor my husband, he is an offset printer we just dont know where to start and what to do? :embarrassed:

What are you hoping to do? Have an Australian adventure or move perhaps permanently?

If you are thinking of permanent migration, then looking for employer sponsorship is not normally where people start, mainly because it is very difficult to secure! There is only one way to do it and that is the same way you would apply for a job in the UK; google for vacancies, contact agents, make applications, perhaps cold call.

There are a few printing occupations on the CSOL www.immi.gov.au so state sponsored skilled migration might be an option, if any of the states are sponsoring this occupation. Have you already looked into this? If not, then that would be worth exploring as well as the employer sponsored route.

The obligation to the sponsoring state is a moral one, not a legal one. So although it's often felt that the appropriate action is to move to the state that sponsored you, it's often not practical if you can't find work there, etc. Since it's hard to find work when you're outside the country, it's usually best to get the visa, move and then start a serious job search.

Unfortunately the printing industry is going through a tough time at the moment, and there have been several who have gone out of business. That would make it increasingly hard to find a job when you are looking for sponsorship as part of the contract.

• 1 month later...

Hi............I'm sorry to butt in MaggieMay24 & Verystormy...........but can I just recap what you are both saying, as only Northern Territory is the only state that are sponsoring my profession (hairdressing)..........You say that if you apply to Northern Territory to sponsor you, you don't have to move there, we could go straight to Western Australia and settle there? Is that right?

Thanks Victoria xx

Hi............I'm sorry to butt in MaggieMay24 & Verystormy...........but can I just recap what you are both saying, as only Northern Territory is the only state that are sponsoring my profession (hairdressing)..........You say that if you apply to Northern Territory to sponsor you, you don't have to move there, we could go straight to Western Australia and settle there? Is that right?

Thanks Victoria xx

Its only a moral obligation not legal so technically yes but as you have found out things do change in the visa process so just be a bit careful because if NT suspect you are not genuinely interested in moving there they can refuse your application.

Yes, it's only a moral obligation. However I think it's very different to apply to a state, arrive there and after 6 months of an unsuccessful job search decide you need to move elsewhere vs. apply for sponsorship fully knowing you have no intention of moving there. In the first situation, I'd expect states would be more understanding of the challenges and offer leniency. It's situations such as the second case where I'd expect states to dig in their heels and pressure DIBP to cancel visas.

Just a quick question alex, are you in Australia or the UK right now?

If your husband is working in his desired occupation in AU right now, getting sponsored may be possible. I mean, if he's working for someone, he can explain he wants to be sponsored, and talk it through with them. If not, it's going to be much harder, unless his occupation is in big demand.

Archived