Where to start

Boldie

Hi my name is Rob

My wife and I and our 4 kids (ages 12, 9, 7 and 2. All boys)are thinking of moving to Oz. We are atthe very early stages of the process and just trying to get as much informationtogether as possible. I am a softwaredeveloper so my job is on the wanted jobs list but was just wondering what job opportunitiesare like for software developers and what the wage is like.

I think we are looking to move to the Sydney area as I assumethis would be where most the job opportunities are. I don’t mind traveling up to an hour to getto work as this is what I do at the moment in England. What areas would be good for us to look atliving?

Can anyone give any rough idea on what the Cost of Livingwould be for a family of 6 as at first we would be living on my wage alone.

Sorry if it’s to many questions in one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but having a chat with a mara registered agent would be a good place to start, as you really need to find out what's the best way forward for getting a visa. There are a few recommended agents on this site.

As for Sydney, most folk living there will probably be asleep at the moment. You could also try posting any Sydney specific questions on the sister site, Life in Sydney.

good luck with it all, it can be a hassle....but so worth it.

fi xx

Hello, yes a lot of questions but it is a very uncertain thing moving to the other side of the world! If your skill is on the demand list then it's a good indication that you should be able to find work. Certainly this is the case for my husband who is an SAP consultant and whose occupation is in demand.

If you are reliant on one income I would wholly suggest having employment worked out before you go. Again, this is what we did. We were also able to agree a small relocation package with that employer too. It's very easy to burn through money in your first few weeks and you will more grounded if you have a job to go to. The costs of living are high in many ways but some things balance out . My husband found his salary was higher so whilst our food was more expensive (check out the Woolworths or Coles website and put in your average grocery shop and you will see) transport, child are and petrol costs were cheaper.

I wouldn't confine yourself to thinking about Sydney. You may find Brisbane or Melbourne to be more cost effective. My main advice for anyone going over is don't underestimate the initial costs. It maybe an idea for you to go out first and get accommodation etc set up before your wife and kids join you later.

Hi my name is Rob

My wife and I and our 4 kids (ages 12, 9, 7 and 2. All boys)are thinking of moving to Oz.We are atthe very early stages of the process and just trying to get as much informationtogether as possible.I am a softwaredeveloper so my job is on the wanted jobs list but was just wondering what job opportunitiesare like for software developers and what the wage is like.

I think we are looking to move to the Sydney area as I assumethis would be where most the job opportunities are.I don’t mind traveling up to an hour to getto work as this is what I do at the moment in England.What areas would be good for us to look atliving?

Can anyone give any rough idea on what the Cost of Livingwould be for a family of 6 as at first we would be living on my wage alone.

We're just a couple so can't help with family budgets, but I can tell you that Sydney is a lovely place to live, but housing (either to rent or buy) is very very expensive. To survive there on one salary, even a good one, would be a big ask. Brisbane and Adelaide are a lot cheaper - but it also depends on the lifestyle you want, and where the jobs are. As a city girl myself, I find Brisbane and Adelaide too quiet, more like big country towns - but that's exactly why some people like them. Melbourne would be worth considering - it's a bit cheaper than Sydney, about the same size and has more cultural and artistic stuff going on, plus it has good public transport to the outer edges unlike Sydney. However I can't speak for the job opportunities.

I'd second the idea that you shouldn't come without a job offer in place. By the time you've packed up your house, shipped everything, bought airline tickets, paid for temp accommodation etc etc, you're looking at spending at least $20,000 on the move itself. You don't want to have to survive on no income for several weeks, too.

If your looking at permanent residency then I would say get the visa first as then when you apply for jobs you can show you already have a visa so can move over.

Thanks bell.

I was thinking that was probably the best way. Our heads are spinning a bit at the moment trying to work out if we can afford the move or not as it all depends on job I can get.

Boldie,

It seems to me that you would be best to speak to a migration agent first - most will give you an initial consultation free. There are a few on here who post regularly and personally I would suggest Alan Collett of 'Go Matilda' who was brilliant with our application. You may still decide to go it alone after chatting to him but he will certainly point you in the right direction.

All the best

NWM

With 4 kids I wouldn't suggest you even consider a 457. Family security is non-existent on this visa (tied to employer, temp visa, may have to leave country in short timeframe if made redundant), financial security is questionable too (school fees in many states for children on this visa, no family assistance, help with childcare etc).

Getting PR before you come is by far the safest most risk free option .... although migrating is never without some risk!

Before even approaching a migration agent, make sure your idea of the Australian lifestyle is rooted in reality. I just saw a useful post from jdad84 on another thread, giving these pointers:

You can mock up a shopping basket of food at coles.com.au;

Furniture prices at ikea.com.au and harveynorman.com.au;

Visit redbook and autotrader australia for car prices...state websites for car costings;

Domain.com.au for rentals;

http://www.transportnsw.info/ for bus and train commute times, and Google Maps for distances;

Pomsinoz forums for specifics such on visa and get a better gauge on cost of living from people actually living in aus

The first post in this thread is from a family that moved to the outer suburbs of Sydney. If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see most Sydneysiders feel they've arrived with unrealistically high expectations and have created their own problem - but it could be useful to compare your expectations to theirs.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/210157-cost-living-sydney-facing-reality.html

If your head is really spinning with information, then I would recommend trying to focus on one thing at a time and I would recommend that is with the visa, not the job or where to live. There are some simple things you can do yourself to get started; check your points, check your occupation is on the list, read about the skills assessment for your occupation.

The other stuff can wait, but of course there are software developers in Australia so jobs will be there and to be honest there are not many occupations that are perceived completely differently in the two countries, i.e. low paying jobs in UK will be low paying jobs in Australia, likewise high paying jobs.

Sydney is the most expensive city by far for housing costs, but I think you are right in terms if job opportunities, it will have the biggest IT market and I think it is a good option.

Speak to an agent by all means - I'm not a fan of agents to be honest and given your skilled job I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to do your visa yourself. The immigration officials also are very helpful.

Never ever rely on information from immigration officials. This board it littered with disaster stories. They have legal immunity for any bad advice they give and they give some shockers

Before even approaching a migration agent, make sure your idea of the Australian lifestyle is rooted in reality. I just saw a useful post from jdad84 on another thread, giving these pointers:

You can mock up a shopping basket of food at coles.com.au;

Furniture prices at ikea.com.au and harveynorman.com.au;

Visit redbook and autotrader australia for car prices...state websites for car costings;

Domain.com.au for rentals;

http://www.transportnsw.info/ for bus and train commute times, and Google Maps for distances;

Pomsinoz forums for specifics such on visa and get a better gauge on cost of living from people actually living in aus

The first post in this thread is from a family that moved to the outer suburbs of Sydney. If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see most Sydneysiders feel they've arrived with unrealistically high expectations and have created their own problem - but it could be useful to compare your expectations to theirs.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/210157-cost-living-sydney-facing-reality.html

This is an excellent suggestion. We found the initial costs quite hard, especially buying a car but after a few months things evened out and we were able to survive on one income- but we only had one child at the time.

My husband found that work was a bit more laid back and there were more opportunities for him- even in Brisbane. I think one big problem you will have is just trying to work out those first few weeks and months. Gets much easier once you have rented a house and sorted a car. Do you have any family out there or would it be possible for you to come first and then your family to come later. I remember very well sleeping on a mattress on the floor in a rental house for a few weeks with my son in a porta cot whilst waiting for our shipping container to arrive. Before that we were staying in a apart hotel which was nothing at all fancy but $130 per night and was one of the cheapest we could find. On the upside Australia is a great place for kids and provides lots of free things to do with the kids.

Archived