Singing the National Anthem in Schools

Guest Bora

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our two come home with homework too, whatever next:laugh:

Our eldest went to the local public secondary school and seemed to do no homework at all. When we used to ask him about it his standard answer was "did it in class". Our youngest went to an Anglican private school, mostly because of his autism and they had a "special stream" for kids with learning difficulties. He had heaps of homework, in my opinion way too much as it used to worry him if he couldn't do it, due to his autism again. He used to get really stressed. We obviously had to help him all the time.

They came out of school with the same qualifications. Either the older one was a lot more clever than he comes across or the homework didn't really help. I think you can definitely get too much. If they can't do it in an hour they've got too much and should stop anyway. It's got to the point when it's counter productive and just adds to more stress.

Guest Guest40285

I stand and proudly sing the Australian national anthem at the school assembly every Friday, never miss seeing my girls. Makes me laugh all you cotton wool wraping lot that crap on about it, Its being patriotic ffs, Get a life will ya

If I ever got to the point where I felt like my kids were being brainwashed I would have said and done something about it. As far as the kids went they never mentioned the National Anthem and singing to me in all their school days, it was just part of being at school here and I hope it stays. We were more interested in rolling up late for assembly and nicking off to the toilet for a crafty fag when we were at school.

Rather have them outside singing the National Anthem any day.

One of ours was 2 when we came and the other one born here. They are both proud to be Aussies, which is fine by me.

Yeah agree nothing wrong with being proud to be Aussie. I think cause kids are kids they don't think anything of it they just love to be involved in national celebrations cause it's fun !!!

Yeah agree nothing wrong with being proud to be Aussie. I think cause kids are kids they don't think anything of it they just love to be involved in national celebrations cause it's fun !!!

Nothing wrong with being proud anything as long as one's wonderment at the world and how others do things are not totally rejected by narrow focused nationalism. Many countries have rousing anthems and interesting symbols which can be enjoyed as well as ones own.

Righto! :shocked: a bank teller looked horrified when you asked for foreign currency? Come on:rolleyes:

Thank you, QSS. :wubclub:

Now that so much banking is done online, bank tellers would hardly have a job if they weren't dishing out foreign currency.

Guest Guest66881
Germany has a great national anthem. Unfortunately one man lead them down a very dark path. I have German friends who are actually really level headed.

Churchill wasn't squeaky clean you know.

Guest Guest66881

Don't get me wrong mate, in no way am i defending the third reich and the atrocities they dished out, but war is horrible from both sides.

Thinking about this while stacking firewood. :rolleyes:

For me patriotism is being grateful for living in a decent place - rather than some s***hole like Syria or South Sudan - and being thankful to those who went before and suffered incredible hardships to keep it that way...and to give us freedoms and standards which we so often take for granted.

Pretty disappointing reply from a poster whose opinion I've always respected....

i do not have any religious background or affinity whatsoever, in fact my daughter hasn't even been christened, but I'm sending her to an Anglican school ( in Australia I feel I need to add), so my daughter comes home most days talking about Jesus, singing songs (quite good ones actually!) so, because it's in Australia, and besides all the religious songs, they do actually sing the national anthem, is she being doubly brainwashed???

Silly comment really, you are actually worthy of something more articulate....

Why is my comment inarticulate...? my apologies, next time I'll post something you agree with.

There is nothing wrong IMO with pride in one's country and this goes for singing the national anthem. I believe in Australia it is so much more than that. I've had many experiences from Australians who have shown an incredible amount of scorn for anything non Australian. This is what my opinion is based on.

There is nothing wrong IMO with pride in one's country and this goes for singing the national anthem. I believe in Australia it is so much more than that. I've had many experiences from Australians who have shown an incredible amount of scorn for anything non Australian. This is what my opinion is based on.

Very unusual indeed. They usually ask where we are going, wish us a good holiday and sometimes say they want to go in our suitcases!

That's the thing about opinions......like arseholes everybody has one

Pride in ones country is in my opinion brilliant. Singing the national anthem should not be just for sports it should be for so much more. Im Happy to belt out both Anthems and I hope I always feel like that. Australia does put England to shame though with both Australia Day ( public holiday) and Anzac Day ( public holiday) England doesn't do that for St Georges day or Rememberrence Day, that's very wrong.

Guest Guest40285
Pride in ones country is in my opinion brilliant. Singing the national anthem should not be just for sports it should be for so much more. Im Happy to belt out both Anthems and I hope I always feel like that. Australia does put England to shame though with both Australia Day ( public holiday) and Anzac Day ( public holiday) England doesn't do that for St Georges day or Rememberrence Day, that's very wrong.

Yep and its St Georges day today

Archived