Cost of living in Sydney for family of 5

Gillybean

Hi all,

This is my first time on so please be gentle.

We are considering a move down under on a PR visa. We are a family of 5 OH, myself and 3 kids (8, twins at 5). We have been looking at the Suburb of Castle Hill NSW and at this stage are wondering after tax would $100,000 per yr be enough to cover the cost of living for a family of 5 or would we struggle. If there are any of u out there in a similar situation that could advise I would be very grateful

I honestly don't think there is such a thing as "cost of living for 5". We are two, but our cost of living will not apply to every couple, we all live differently but majority of us will cut our cloth accordingly. So you can compare to others, but the only important comparison is the one with your current lifestyle, $100k in Sydney would be a bit like £40k in London. How does that compare with you now?

Hi !!

We live in Castle Hill as a family of 5 :) Myself , my husband and our 3 children who are 12,15 & 17. As a family we earn around $135,000 a year. Rent here in Castle Hill is quite expensive , we pay $720 a week for our 4 bedroom apartment. Our biggest downfall is being on a 457 visa at the moment as It means we have to pay $14,000 a year to the government for the children to go to school on top of the normal school fees . On a PR visa you wouldn't have to pay that , which is why we're applying for PR in October as we'll have been here for 2 years then :) !!!!

We don't struggle on that kind of income , we go out loads etc , so I'm sure we could save more if we needed too !! Also my children are older than yours so a lot more high maintenance !!!!

Thanks for your reply Beckyjayne

We have the option of the 457 an we would probably get out there faster going down that route but paying that amount for school fees has put us off so we are going to apply for PR from offshore. I have been looking at real estate sites an rental looks very expensive. Another question for you Beckyjayne how do u find living in Castle Hill is it a nice area for family would there be much to do

We love it here to the point that this is where we will buy as soon as our PR comes though. Castle Hill is beautiful , we've got lots of parks and castle towers is the best shopping centre I've been in since we've moved out here. There are lots of cafés & restaurants. The schools here are fantastic.

Weve also found it to be a great base for everything. The buses run every 15 minutes into the city, were a 15 minute drive from the nearest train station , were 45 mins from the city, half an hour to the nearest beaches. We are on a easy direct drive to the Blue mountains and an easy hour drive up to the central coast, which is where we normally go to the beach. It's just a perfect central location :-) !!!

Thanks again Beckyjayne for your reply.

We have been looking at Castle Hill keeping in mind public transport an having plenty of amenities close around, your reply has been very informative. We have only just started the PR process so we are hoping we could be out there for Xmas all going well so at the moment trying to research loads. Daunting at times wondering if the decision to move will be the right decision

You're welcome !!! Feel free to ask anything else !!

Its the best decision we've ever made and we've no regrets what so ever !! We miss family but that's all. Our children settled really quickly into school, we've done more as a family out here and spent more quality time together since we've moved out here than we ever did back in the UK !!!!

• 2 months later...
You're welcome !!! Feel free to ask anything else !!

Its the best decision we've ever made and we've no regrets what so ever !! We miss family but that's all. Our children settled really quickly into school, we've done more as a family out here and spent more quality time together since we've moved out here than we ever did back in the UK !!!!

Hi Becky,

Planning on moving once our PR goes through.We are a Family of 5 with 3 Kids 10,4 & 2.Looking at Schools in Castle Hill.

can you recommend any good schools in the Area.

Hi Becky,

Planning on moving once our PR goes through.We are a Family of 5 with 3 Kids 10,4 & 2.Looking at Schools in Castle Hill.

can you recommend any good schools in the Area.

Hi,

It depends on exactly where you're living as schools gave strict boundaries and you have to live within the boundary for a school, they can however enrol if they've got spaces etc . We were living in west pennant hills when we 1st moved out here so my 12 year old is at West Pennant Hills public which is an amazing school. He starts high school in February next year and we've enrolled him at Castle Hill high which seems really good , Castle Hill public is really close and I've also heard good things about that . We didn't see the point in moving him so close to going to a High school which is why he's still in West Pennant Hills?

Schools also depend on if your choosing public , private or Catholic ? Best to leave it until you get out here and go visit them all !

• 1 month later...

I am glad I found this as we are a family of 5 children aged, 9,6 and 4 and we were wondering if we would have an ok life on a combined salary of $180k before tax etc. We were initially going to come on a 457 visa, but we were advised (because of school fees) to get a 189 visa. I am sure we'll cut our cloth to suit but as many of you will know we currently spend a lot on our children's afterschool activities. They love a huge variety of things from rugby, swimming, ballet, rock climbing, horse riding etc. (we have a boys and 2 girls). Next on my list is to start researching areas to live and have heard great things about Castle hill from my friends already in oz.

I am glad I found this as we are a family of 5 children aged, 9,6 and 4 and we were wondering if we would have an ok life on a combined salary of $180k before tax etc. We were initially going to come on a 457 visa, but we were advised (because of school fees) to get a 189 visa. I am sure we'll cut our cloth to suit but as many of you will know we currently spend a lot on our children's afterschool activities. They love a huge variety of things from rugby, swimming, ballet, rock climbing, horse riding etc. (we have a boys and 2 girls). Next on my list is to start researching areas to live and have heard great things about Castle hill from my friends already in oz.

It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about your salary level. It only matters what you think. Could YOU live in London on say GBP80,000? If so, then yes you would feel much the same in Sydney.

Castle Hill is fine, but it is really nothing special at all, so don't commit yourself to one suburb just yet. Take a look around a few.

I am glad I found this as we are a family of 5 children aged,9,6 and 4 and we were wondering if we would have an ok life on a combined salary of $180k before tax etc. We were initially going to come on a 457 visa, but we were advised (because of school fees) to get a 189 visa. I am sure we'll cut our cloth to suit but as many of you will know we currently spend a lot on our children's afterschool activities. They love a huge variety of things from rugby, swimming, ballet, rock climbing, horse riding etc. (we have a boys and 2 girls). Next on my list is to start researching areas to live and have heard great things about Castle hill from my friends already in oz.

BTW everyone has to 'cut their cloth' but I find I'm cutting my cloth far more in Oz than I ever had to do in UK on a similar salary - not an issue probably, but you need to be prepared for this if you have previously been very comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I live in the Shire and don't know much about your area..... but:

It is Sunday morning and I am finding myself with some tie on my hands so I thought that I would revisit one of my old cost of living calculations that I did prior to moving. I opened two windows and looked at the Tesco grocery shopping site and the Coles site, I find them similar ish in terms of place in the market. I was surprised to find that Australia is less expensive now than when I moved in 2012. When I did my weekly shop I found Australia to be about double the price of my UK shop. Today my shop was nowhere near that expensive. The £ has improved against the $ so now we get $1.83 per £ (35 cents more than when I moved) but the cost of a basic shop was only perhaps 20% more than if I were buying it in the UK. The main thing is that my wage is 60% higher here. It appears that costs of living have increased substantially in the UK as well as the currency improving.

Think it may be useful as an exercise to see how your outgoings would be once you are here. Hope this helps.

S x

Archived