Help needed

Gazbaz1

Good Morning/Afternoon or Evening

confused is not the word, I have been wanting to move over to Australia for a good while but always thought I wouldn't be accepted if I didn't have my HNC in civil engineering. Well I'm halfway through my course now and I am wondering if now is the right time to apply for a visa.

i have been working within the construction industry as a site engineer now for almost 11 years and this profession is what I would like to carry on with in Australia.

i have other qualifications and have been told that I could apply with these.

theres me, the wife, 2 kids ( 8 & 9) and the dog.

I wouldn't be getting sponsored, can anyone help with which is the visa for us?

would you recommend using an agent? or should I save some cash?

Will it be difficult applying with the dog?

Thank you for reading the post

Best wishes

Gaz

The dog will have the easiest time of you all.

Have you checked if your job is on the sol or csol? If so google the code and that will tell you the MINIMUM you could get away with coming into oz with. This is often for sponsored visas. Then see who the assessing body is and see if you could pass the skills assessment.

If the job is only on the csol then you need to see if any of the states are sponsoring for it.

Good Morning/Afternoon or Evening

confused is not the word, I have been wanting to move over to Australia for a good while but always thought I wouldn't be accepted if I didn't have my HNC in civil engineering. Well I'm halfway through my course now and I am wondering if now is the right time to apply for a visa.

i have been working within the construction industry as a site engineer now for almost 11 years and this profession is what I would like to carry on with in Australia.

i have other qualifications and have been told that I could apply with these.

theres me, the wife, 2 kids ( 8 & 9) and the dog.

I wouldn't be getting sponsored, can anyone help with which is the visa for us?

would you recommend using an agent? or should I save some cash?

Will it be difficult applying with the dog?

Thank you for reading the post

Best wishes

Gaz

It is hard to comment without knowing what occupation code you are thinking of. And you are certainly better placed than any of us to do that. Have a look at the lists, which you will find on www.immi.gov.au and let us know what occupation code you believe you could fit into. There are two lists, the SOL and CSOL, if you put that into the search function of the site I provided link to you will find them.

By the way, choose codes that you have a background in, it doesn't matter if you want to do that in Australia or not.

Thank you blossom79 & Rupert

i have checked on the sol list and there are 2 categories for me, Surveyor 232212, which is assessed by sssi & civil engineer 233211, which is assessed by engineers australia.

in the uk I would be classed as a site engineer as I am based on site engineering and setting out but in Australia I have been informed that this is referred to as a surveyor, but the course I am studying for is as a civil engineer which I would also be classed as within the uk as it has 2 meanings I.e. Site based or working within an engineering office.

my current paperwork is a diploma in site management through the ciob.

you can see how confusing it is to me.

regards

Hi Gaz. You will only be able to apply as a Civil Engineer if you have a degree in civil engineering. I have a HND in civil engineering but have applied as a building associate which requires an advanced diploma. I never checked the surveyor role tbh. Just so you know I got a positive skills assessment from Vetassess but I also am a project/ contracts manager as well as site engineering. Good luck. I would get a free advise chat from an agent as they will tell you which occupation to apply as.

Thank you blossom79 & Rupert

i have checked on the sol list and there are 2 categories for me, Surveyor 232212, which is assessed by sssi & civil engineer 233211, which is assessed by engineers australia.

in the uk I would be classed as a site engineer as I am based on site engineering and setting out but in Australia I have been informed that this is referred to as a surveyor, but the course I am studying for is as a civil engineer which I would also be classed as within the uk as it has 2 meanings I.e. Site based or working within an engineering office.

my current paperwork is a diploma in site management through the ciob.

you can see how confusing it is to me.

regards

If it is confusing for you, then really there is no hope of getting help from a forum. We cannot possibly judge as well as you which occupation you need to apply under and it really is very important to get that right up front. With a complicated work history, you really need to take some professional help from a migration agent to work through it with you.

Hi Gaz. You will only be able to apply as a Civil Engineer if you have a degree in civil engineering. I have a HND in civil engineering but have applied as a building associate which requires an advanced diploma. I never checked the surveyor role tbh. Just so you know I got a positive skills assessment from Vetassess but I also am a project/ contracts manager as well as site engineering. Good luck. I would get a free advise chat from an agent as they will tell you which occupation to apply as.

The engineers somtimes accept related degrees such as architecture and sometimes qualifications that are not equivalent to an Australian degree. I doubt that free advice would be sufficient in this case; a comprehensive assessment seems to be indicated.

Archived