457 to 186

millers

Yesterday my hubbys employer emailed us to inform us that they have lodged our nomination under the Employer Nomination Scheme Visa Subclass 186. So its all happening now....we are currently on a 457 ( been in Oz just over 2 yrs) and wondering how long this process can possibly take......I suppose its like asking how long is a piece of string!!! lol:err:

We did exactly the same thing (457-186) last year. The largest chunk was for the nomination to be approved. We wanted to wait until that was approved before lodging/applying as if it isn't you lose the money for the application. A colleague of mine did hers the same time but didn't wait for the nomination to be approved and applied anyway, and yes she got hers through much faster (probably because when a case officer got round to looking at the nomination they could see the application was there in full too)

Anyway for us:

Nomination submitted by employer 24.8.12

Acknowledged 27.9.12

Approved may 20th 2013

Submitted application 25.5.13 and paid money (ouch)

Added form 80 and other extras over the next few days.

Medicals attended: 7.6.13

Request further info: 17.06.13

Further info sent over 17-19th.06.13

Phoned 10th July (so on edge!)- lo and behold

Visa granted next day: 11 July 2013

Total process time: 10 months 17 days approx (13 days short of 11 months) however from us submitting it wasn't even 8 weeks.

apparently our employer lodged at a busy time, most other people I know it didn't take half as long, and of course wasn't helped by us wanting the nomination approval first.

All the best!

• 1 month later...
We did exactly the same thing (457-186) last year. The largest chunk was for the nomination to be approved. We wanted to wait until that was approved before lodging/applying as if it isn't you lose the money for the application. A colleague of mine did hers the same time but didn't wait for the nomination to be approved and applied anyway, and yes she got hers through much faster (probably because when a case officer got round to looking at the nomination they could see the application was there in full too)

Anyway for us:

Acknowledged 27.9.12

Approved may 20th 2013

Total process time: 10 months 17 days approx (13 days short of 11 months) however from us submitting it wasn't even 8 weeks.

apparently our employer lodged at a busy time, most other people I know it didn't take half as long, and of course wasn't helped by us wanting the nomination approval first.

All the best!

Thanks for the info- we haven't had medicals yet.....is that something we need to chase up with my husbands employer or do we just sit tight and wait?

Hi millers!

I've lodged on April 10th, so 2 days after you. Everything went in aside from the medicals and we did this through a MA (nomination + application together). For the medicals, you have to wait until you get a case officer first. I haven't done it yet as we haven't had a CO yet but this is what I read on immi website... So sit tight and wait yup!

I'm looking quite a bit into the future with this question but I may as well ask. I worked for my employer for 9 months on a WHV and then came home and we are now in the process of him sponsoring me. What I would like to know is do those 9 months count towards my 2 years of work with my employer before I can apply for the ENS with him or do I have to start again when the 457 starts?

I'm looking quite a bit into the future with this question but I may as well ask. I worked for my employer for 9 months on a WHV and then came home and we are now in the process of him sponsoring me. What I would like to know is do those 9 months count towards my 2 years of work with my employer before I can apply for the ENS with him or do I have to start again when the 457 starts?

Hi Lynsey,

You don't have to complete 2 years of work with an employer to be eligible for ENS, that's only for the TRT stream and for that it must be for 2 years in the nominated occupation as the holder of a 457 visa.

Be really careful with any application where you're going to state that you worked for a company for 9 months on a WHV as well. Unless you got an extension waiver or it was split over 2 WHVs, you can only work for one individual company for a maximum of 6 months on a WHV. Breaching your previous visa conditions can have a negative effect on future applications.

All the best,

Hi millers!

I've lodged on April 10th, so 2 days after you. Everything went in aside from the medicals and we did this through a MA (nomination + application together). For the medicals, you have to wait until you get a case officer first. I haven't done it yet as we haven't had a CO yet but this is what I read on immi website... So sit tight and wait yup!

There's no need to wait for a CO to have your medicals done. If you lodge the application complete with the medicals and police checks, it helps ensure there's no delay in the processing of the visa.

There's no need to wait for a CO to have your medicals done. If you lodge the application complete with the medicals and police checks, it helps ensure there's no delay in the processing of the visa.
@MaggieMay24 & @millers: Sorry, I misread. I thought millers had already lodged both the application AND the nomination, not just the nomination. @millers: If you haven't lodged your application yet, you can apply for a HapId and get the medicals prior to lodging and as MaggieMay24 stated, you can lodge everything at the same time.

If you've lodged nomination and application altogether without the medicals, then you have to wait for a CO to request the medicals.

@MaggieMay24... Here's an excerpt from the link you provided that recommends you get your medicals after the CO asks if you've lodged your application...

Also you technically can, it says that doing so would delay your application... See below

[h=3]I have already lodged my Australian visa application[/h]You will be advised by email or by your case officer what health examinations you need to do (if any). You will then be requested to complete these examinations within a certain time period. Please wait until your visa case officer contacts you, do not use the My Health Declarations service if you have already lodged a visa application. It will delay processing of your visa application.

Note: To minimise processing delays, you should complete your required health examinations as soon as possible after your case officer has advised you to do so.

Even if you've already lodged your application, you can still get your medical check done without waiting for a CO. I have a coworker who lodged his application in May and arranged his medicals after that and he hasn't heard from his CO yet.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/arranging-health-exam.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an email from my hubbys employer to inform us that the nomination for our 186 visa has been approved(yey!!! it took 3 months). We can now proceed and lodge our visa application now that we have a case officer.....:) things are happening slowly.

UPDATE-Submitted application 11/07/14 and paid the $$$$ now we have a case officer..things are finally happening.:wink:

Acknowledged 27.9.12

Approved may 20th 2013

All the best!

The latter half of 2012 was not a good time to submit a Visa - we know as we submitted a 186 in October 2012. Australian Immigration had just gone across to the new supposedly all singing, all dancing electronic process and it completely fell apart. Systems weren't talking to each other, they were having to manually re-enter forms; it was a complete nightmare with lots of long delays as a consequence. Added to this was the pent up demand from people who chose to delay their applications until the new system was in place. By mid 2013 when your friend submitted theirs they had caught up and the systems were actually working.

Hi guys,

new to this site and forum. We have also been here two years. Our visa application and nomination were submitted on 02/07/14 with all documents, medicals etc. It was acknowledged at the Parramatta office on 10/07/14 so i will keep you posted how we go. :).

Archived