7 weeks in and feeling regretful

feda16

Hi Y'all,

Was looking forward to moving to Brisbane so much after a holiday here last year. We took the plunge as my partners sister lives in Brisbane and her father Melbourne and she had residency. Whilst we love the weather we feel that we've made a huge mistake coming over as my partner said she thought immediately that she had made a mistake but didn't want to influence me and give me time to see how i felt. Struggling in the jobs marker (Im a qualified gas engineer) ive had knock back after knock back and have been led to believe i would have to do a plumbing apprenticeship in order to regain certificates that ive sacrificed so much for in the UK. Although i asked for RPL i was told this wasn't going to be the case by TAFE and now dont have the resources to redo my certifications. Theres also the issue of missing UK sports and activities that i had taken for granted for the last 28 years of my life. It was a dream for me to move out here and an opportunity not to be missed i felt. Just feel like ive been a failure or maybe was my expectations too high or too unrealistic in what to think? Although i never burnt any bridges before coming over and carefully researching areas and scoping out the job sector have I underestimated or am i just another whinging pom lol.

I to moved to Brisbane as a qualified professional in construction industry. It took me 7 weeks to get a labouring job and roughly 5-6 months to get a job in my profession. I think you will settle if you find a decent job. I certainly started to enjoy it more when I was working. In my circumstances I left Oz because my WHV was up and my employers revoked the offer of sponsorship when work slowed up. When I returned I realised how much the simple things as you said like watching football at a sensible hour meant to me.

I would consider Melbourne if things don't improve. Aussies go to Queensland on holiday but not to live generally unless they're retiring. Melbourne has 4 distinct seasons like the UK, not temperate all year like Brisbane but there is a much more similar culture to a big city in the UK, sports capital of Australia and probably the most multi cultural offering all sorts of cuisines, music and have 2 football teams (the round ball). It really depends on what you personally want. For me, I came out as a backpacker on my own, travelled around and realised that to live a "normal" if somewhat similar life to what I had in the UK, Melbourne felt like home. Yes, you can experience 4 seasons in a day but the summers are dry and hot with less rainfall than Sydney. More expensive than QLD but rent inner city and see how you go. Don't throw in the towel yet, it's a big, big country/continenent/island and I'm sure with time you'll know what feels right. Give it a go and you can always head back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I would consider Melbourne if things don't improve. Aussies go to Queensland on holiday but not to live generally unless they're retiring. Melbourne has 4 distinct seasons like the UK, not temperate all year like Brisbane but there is a much more similar culture to a big city in the UK, sports capital of Australia and probably the most multi cultural offering all sorts of cuisines, music and have 2 football teams (the round ball). It really depends on what you personally want. For me, I came out as a backpacker on my own, travelled around and realised that to live a "normal" if somewhat similar life to what I had in the UK, Melbourne felt like home. Yes, you can experience 4 seasons in a day but the summers are dry and hot with less rainfall than Sydney. More expensive than QLD but rent inner city and see how you go. Don't throw in the towel yet, it's a big, big country/continenent/island and I'm sure with time you'll know what feels right. Give it a go and you can always head back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Bit of a big call mate saying Aussies only go to qld for holidays. I'm a Aussie , I live in qld and would never consider living in Melbourne . Queensland has it all for me and ticks every box for a lot of us ( Aussies ) living here. Beautiful one day perfect the next and all that.

You think there are no Australian's living in Queensland? :eek:

By the way, Queensland does not have a temperate climate it is tropical or sub tropical depending upon how far north you go. Europe including UK is temperate, as is Tasmania and southern parts of Australia.

If you are correct that QLD is full of retirees then they must be having a lot of children in their old age.

on the sunshine coast where we live there are at least 6 schools not more than 15 minutes from us.

the local primary school has 1.000 yes 1.000 pupils, another local school 5 mins from us caters both primary and secondary and has well over 1000 pupils.

Yes we have a sub tropical climate and summer can be hot and humid, but the rest of the year is lovely, especially the winter months.

most places have 3 months of indifferent weather, it's the other 9 months that tip the scales for where you might want to live!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello M8 hopefully your feeling better than when you were 7 weeks in, however Ive been in Brisbane for 18 months and it looks like I’m headed to England...which is a big thing as I’m from Scotland! We knew as soon as we got here all wasn’t well, sometimes your gut instinct just keeps chipping away and its just a matter of time, for others as soon as they get off the plane its woo hoo!! Bingo! And that’s great, others take time to come round to it. For us the constant money worries/cost of living/housing/schooling/skin cancer worries for the kids etc have nailed the coffin down for us…the latest National debt tax hike sums it up really, just when we just about managed to balance the books Australia knocks you back down, which for us has been typical. Australia is a great place with some great people but also it is awash with not so great stuff and not so great people, same as anywhere.

For us in the end we looked past the sunshine and to be honest didn’t really see much else.

Sometime you don’t need time you just know, hope it works out for you…it will, it always does.

Hey guys, just to let you know I have returned to the UK, the job sector here is so much stronger in relation to my qualification and already i feel more relaxed. I would like to thank all for their input which helped me make a balanced decision. I dont regret my move over and never will, ive just learnt its not for me and that life in the UK is not that bad

Hey guys, just to let you know I have returned to the UK, the job sector here is so much stronger in relation to my qualification and already i feel more relaxed. I would like to thank all for their input which helped me make a balanced decision. I dont regret my move over and never will, ive just learnt its not for me and that life in the UK is not that bad

Good on you mate.

I guarantee you will feel, see, appreciate and notice things about the UK that you never did or knew existed before.

People I have spoken to who have moved back have said sometimes it doesnt feel like that have moved 'back' because now theu appreciate things more it feels like a different place.

Keep us posted on how your feelings and thoughts change.

All the best

Hello M8 hopefully your feeling better than when you were 7 weeks in, however Ive been in Brisbane for 18 months and it looks like I’m headed to England...which is a big thing as I’m from Scotland! We knew as soon as we got here all wasn’t well, sometimes your gut instinct just keeps chipping away and its just a matter of time, for others as soon as they get off the plane its woo hoo!! Bingo! And that’s great, others take time to come round to it. For us the constant money worries/cost of living/housing/schooling/skin cancer worries for the kids etc have nailed the coffin down for us…the latest National debt tax hike sums it up really, just when we just about managed to balance the books Australia knocks you back down, which for us has been typical. Australia is a great place with some great people but also it is awash with not so great stuff and not so great people, same as anywhere.

For us in the end we looked past the sunshine and to be honest didn’t really see much else.

Sometime you don’t need time you just know, hope it works out for you…it will, it always does.

Moving to Oz is like most things in life. For some it works and some it doesnt. Some people like some things and some dont - i always say life is like Marmite. All that is important is that you and your family are happy

I think it's natural to have doubts when you 1st arrive, it is a huge upheaval! my ex partner had the same issues with qualifications & decided to get out & do something different. It's hard when you're already qualified, especially when the u.k's is superior to oz! They should bring in a refresher course of a couple of weeks, to get you familiar with the differences? over here, not the bs of retaking everything! You do need more time here to settle, so do take a breath & enjoy if you can, because you don't want to be a ping pong pom!

I wouldn't ask a TAFE what your prospects are- do as rosie says and then you will get a more accurate response. TAFE are after your money basically- they want your fees. Cynical maybe- but true. Good luck- I am sure things will improve soon. I don't know about Brisbane but we seem to be desperately short of plumbers round here- they can charge what they like- and they do!

Hi

Sounds like lots of good advice to me . It is very challenging to start anew in this country. Plumbing/ Gas Fitting is paid very well here but you do have to get the correct training to Australian standards which does cost. It sounds all very confusing at this point , you,ve already trained and qualified in the UK so why do it again. ??? I said the same thing.!

Some good friends of ours came over, he is a qualified plumber, it was the same story for him , return to TAFFE . I know there was a considerable fee and time involved to get this done. He turned his hand to Landscaping and Building [ my trade] and helped me on a few projects but could not settle They decided after 7 months that the cost was not worth the pain, they returned to UK with a new lease of life and have not looked back since. They plan and enjoy every moment.

In my own industry it was a HUGE shock to see the differences and I had to gain my builders licence in 2 states, as we moved from SA to QLD

This did cost me around 5000 dollars and time to study and that was via the RPL process. Things are done so differently.

To feel settled anywhere new does take a long time, some say 2 years or more, for us it has,nt happened at all. We know our surroundings well enough but that's as far as it goes, it,s not home. So after 6 years we are heading back to the UK, despite all this it has been a great experience and chances are that you are younger than myself. We felt that we did not want to go back to England after such a short time, we had goals and things we wanted to achieve so stuck at it and things did happen.

So make some decisions, you could be very successful in your field here, its just finding the right path, meeting the right people and doors will open OR you decide its not for you. You choose, that's the best bit.

The very best of luck. H

Archived