7 weeks in and feeling regretful

feda16

Hi Y'all,

Was looking forward to moving to Brisbane so much after a holiday here last year. We took the plunge as my partners sister lives in Brisbane and her father Melbourne and she had residency. Whilst we love the weather we feel that we've made a huge mistake coming over as my partner said she thought immediately that she had made a mistake but didn't want to influence me and give me time to see how i felt. Struggling in the jobs marker (Im a qualified gas engineer) ive had knock back after knock back and have been led to believe i would have to do a plumbing apprenticeship in order to regain certificates that ive sacrificed so much for in the UK. Although i asked for RPL i was told this wasn't going to be the case by TAFE and now dont have the resources to redo my certifications. Theres also the issue of missing UK sports and activities that i had taken for granted for the last 28 years of my life. It was a dream for me to move out here and an opportunity not to be missed i felt. Just feel like ive been a failure or maybe was my expectations too high or too unrealistic in what to think? Although i never burnt any bridges before coming over and carefully researching areas and scoping out the job sector have I underestimated or am i just another whinging pom lol.

7 weeks is still v early days. I'm not sure any of us felt settled that quickly.

Of course going somewhere on hols is a lot lot different to actually living there. Still the same grind that you would have anywhere, you just need to make the most of your new/different surroundings!

It won't be helping that your having issues finding work, but again that can take a few months. You may have to look for something just to keep you going in the meantime.

i would def be giving it more time..

best of luck

As fifi said 7 weeks is very early days - I would definitely give it more time - good luck on the job front. Things will look so much different hopefully when you have a job. Can't you do the same sports and activities over here?

It is probably the job situation that is causing the unsettlement you currently feel. Work is one of those things that starts to bring a sense of normality and routine that is so familiar to the majority of us. You don't have the routine, you are in a strange country where even the smallest tasks can become a challenge (I remember the adventure of buying our first bus ticket) and you just feel like a fish out if water. Give it time, it is early days, keep plugging away on the job front because something will turn up like it always does.

Guest Guest40285

Mate 7 weeks is nothing, your still getting over your jet lag, haha. Come on chin up, theres heaps of sports to do here as well, maybe join a club go to the pub, put the word out for work, Maybe take a job doing something else until the oppotunity comes up for one in your trade, chin up Im sure with a positive attitude something will be around the corner for you, Happy days, Cheers Matt.

Don't put yourself down! It is early days but it sounds like getting a job that you are qualified for in UK is going to be a hard task and, given the advice you have received, may not be possible with the disparity in qualifications. Getting any job would seem to be a priority right now - then you might have the resources to contemplate re qualifying. However, as your OH has also indicated that she thinks this wasn't a wise move and you say you haven't burned any bridges then perhaps think about moving on to where your qualifications mean something (could you get a job in UK?)

It is often the case that people who move on quite quickly suffer from more regret down the track and are likely to ping pong but I reckon you know in your gut whether it's a place you want to grow old and turn up your toes in. There is absolutely no shame in saying that a place doesn't float your boat! It's just another first world country after all and if you gave a better offer elsewhere then follow it!

i am very sorry that you've encountered these hurdles though - perhaps revisit TAFE to get them to be specific about exactly what you would have to do to work in your area of expertise and then judge if that is going to be too onerous a proposition and move on from there. The weather is not all there is to life! Good luck whichever pathway you decide to take!

I'd be giving the Master Plumbers' Assoc. Queensland a call and seeking some advice on what is actually required to be a gas fitter/ engineer in Queensland. Hopefully they will know or will be able to send you to the right regulator. In Victoria that would be the Plumbing Industry Commission, and I am sure the Qld equivalent will be able to tell you all that you need to know and what alternative pathways there may be for you.

If your work is mainly domestic you may do better in other states where central heating is more common.

Im pretty sure Gas fitters of any type in QLD do come under the 'plumber' tab and like Plumbers and electricians they are hard jit on arrival in QLD ,UK qualifications are not accepted and you are required to do additional study (at your own cost )to gain a licence to work.

Many migrants have had this hurdle when they arrive, some change careers ,some bite the bullet and do the required study/ paperwork,, only you can decide what you are willing to do.

If its any consolation i know lots of tradies from years of doing relocations, some of those guys spent months getting their paperwork sorted, attending courses etc and they are now doing very well for themselves, at the end of the day , yes the state licencing is a PITA but you either do it and work in your choosen profession or you dont, you have to decide if its worth it to you.

In relation to getting a licence ,this link may help - http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/safety-and-health/domestic-type-A-gas-work.htm

Cal x

I think you are probably in culture shock right now, a holiday is very different from living somewhere and you are now finding out that Australia is not the UK in the sun. Qualifications and experience that meant something in the UK are fairly meaningless, sports and hobbies are different, everything is different! You need to come to terms with this and that takes time.

Whether you think those differences are 'better' or 'worse' is a very personal thing - you will get people of here saying you have to embrace Aussie life and to a large extent I would say that is true, you will not settle if you don't (or you will live as an ex-pat in a little pommie enclave talking about the 'old country' and shopping at 'Best of British'). If you can't find a way forward with gas fitting then you will have to work in another field - you'll need money to save up and move back at the very least - this change of career could be the best thing you've ever done. Most sports are represented in Australia but why not try new ones too? If you do return to the UK you'll have had some great experiences you might not have had.

Seven weeks is FAR too early to know if you will ultimately think Australia is better, worse or just different from the UK - most people say give it two years, I'm not sure about that, I think it harks back to the days when you could get citizenship after two years but very many people feel like you at 7 weeks that go on to be very happy and successful in Australia and are so glad they didn't get on the next plane home.

Me? Well we did return but after 5 years and very certain that for us the UK offers a better lifestyle.

Even though I want to go home, I've been here since 2012. It took my hubby 3 months to get a job & even then it took a further 6 months to start his contract so he ended up working for Allianz recovery!! Paid the bills & easy in the short term. It's hard to come over & expect that wow ill get a job & off we go. We were told yeh mate with your qualifications you'll get into the mines no trouble at all. Didn't work out like that. But now he's been working for Rio Tinto since oct 2012

& is on good money but the job is pretty **** as he's not using most of his skills that he earned in the uk. What am saying is give it a go, use this time as your job ie looking for work is your job but alps take some time to think about why you came here in the first place.

Good luck!

Hi Y'all,

Was looking forward to moving to Brisbane so much after a holiday here last year. We took the plunge as my partners sister lives in Brisbane and her father Melbourne and she had residency. Whilst we love the weather we feel that we've made a huge mistake coming over as my partner said she thought immediately that she had made a mistake but didn't want to influence me and give me time to see how i felt. Struggling in the jobs marker (Im a qualified gas engineer) ive had knock back after knock back and have been led to believe i would have to do a plumbing apprenticeship in order to regain certificates that ive sacrificed so much for in the UK. Although i asked for RPL i was told this wasn't going to be the case by TAFE and now dont have the resources to redo my certifications. Theres also the issue of missing UK sports and activities that i had taken for granted for the last 28 years of my life. It was a dream for me to move out here and an opportunity not to be missed i felt. Just feel like ive been a failure or maybe was my expectations too high or too unrealistic in what to think? Although i never burnt any bridges before coming over and carefully researching areas and scoping out the job sector have I underestimated or am i just another whinging pom lol.

At Christmas, after just over 3 years in Perth, we decided to move home. We are unhappy here for multiple reasons (some big some small). My husband is an electrician and has struggled to find work since we got here, which has been a big issue:"things will get better once he has a job" became something of a personal mantra. Everyone has reasons that make them want to leave and others have just as many to make them stay. I would agree with those that have said it's too early to decide. It's very difficult making such a big move. So many things to adjust to, and struggling to find work makes it so much harder. I would give it a bit longer (not necessarily 2 years though...) One thing I will say, and I want you to listen very closely: you followed a dream which is something a lot of people never have the guts to do. So what if it doesn't work out? You gave it your best shot, and if you do decide it's not for you and go back home don't let anyone make you feel like a failure.

Hi Y'all,

This is actually dismissed by many people, watching the prem and actually playing football in the UK is missed by so many.

This is actually dismissed by many people, watching the prem and actually playing football in the UK is missed by so many.

Absolutely, the husband of a woman at my work gets up in the wee small hours to watch football on Foxtel and he's lived here for about 40 years

One thing I will say, and I want you to listen very closely: you followed a dream which is something a lot of people never have the guts to do. So what if it doesn't work out? You gave it your best shot, and if you do decide it's not for you and go back home don't let anyone make you feel like a failure.

Totally agree with your point there Lynne..spot on

I agree that it is probably a bit too early for making a big decision like returning. We migrated in February 1988 - my dad is a plumber and he had to take work fixing gutterings on roofs for a couple of months before a better job came along. He ended up working for Gas & Fuel in Victoria and then moving on to Boral Gas when we moved to Queensland. I do remember that in the beginning he too felt he had gave up a much better job and thought he had made the wrong decision - he worked on the oil rigs as an instrument pipe fitter - but just a few months after we arrived the oil rig he left to come to Australia blew up (Piper Alpha) so it turned out he did make the right decision.:biggrin:

Guest Guest 47403
At Christmas, after just over 3 years in Perth, we decided to move home. We are unhappy here for multiple reasons (some big some small). My husband is an electrician and has struggled to find work since we got here, which has been a big issue:"things will get better once he has a job" became something of a personal mantra. Everyone has reasons that make them want to leave and others have just as many to make them stay. I would agree with those that have said it's too early to decide. It's very difficult making such a big move. So many things to adjust to, and struggling to find work makes it so much harder. I would give it a bit longer (not necessarily 2 years though...) One thing I will say, and I want you to listen very closely: you followed a dream which is something a lot of people never have the guts to do. So what if it doesn't work out? You gave it your best shot, and if you do decide it's not for you and go back home don't let anyone make you feel like a failure.

Why do you think your hubby failed to secure work Lynn? I know someone who emigrated January 2012 as a UK spark did his research and knew he had to take a step down do superivised work whilst he got all his licences he did mainly residential stuff in the UK but has had to switch to commercial now but loving it, we are all different I suppose.

Why do you think your hubby failed to secure work Lynn? I know someone who emigrated January 2012 as a UK spark did his research and knew he had to take a step down do superivised work whilst he got all his licences he did mainly residential stuff in the UK but has had to switch to commercial now but loving it, we are all different I suppose.

We don't know. He has over 20 years experience is a variety of fields, in gas & oil industry when we moved. His work was initially going to give him a transfer but then they backed out. He worked as a boilermaker when we first got here until he did his grade A Licence course. He had a few different jobs but were all temp contract. He got a job with Cat which they said would become permanent after 3 months, which never happened. Then it got to the point where he'd arrive in the morning but be sent away as there was no work. That department has since closed after making others redundant. He has applied for scores of jobs in different fields but hasn't gotten anywhere. He decided to do his EC course to start his own business. It has certainly made him feel like a failure. It's just one of the many reasons that we are leaving...

I personally think, more often than not the thought/idea of moving to Aus is nicer/easier than it sounds.

Its a nice idea in theory BUT not that easy and all its cracked up to be.

7 weeks is a short time and most people are still in 'holiday mode' at this stage. We have been here nearly 9 months and it still feels like we are on holiday (and not always in a good way) we find things dont seem real and life seems....fake.

Just look at it as a holiday until the time comes you want to go home....no need to over think/complicate the situation.

I know how you feel, does/doesnt get any easier, well for me anyway.

Chin up

Thanks all for your replies so far, although i've been picking up labouring jobs here and there my partner and I feel like we now just want to save some money and go home. I have let my folks and some friends know of my trying and failing to settle, Ive also contacted my previous employment who are looking into the possibility in re-employing myself. If we get any sort of go aheads in the next week to two weeks its looking like we are going home.

It really does not matter what anyone thinks, if anyone is really struggling, spending lots of hard earned cash and things are not turning out as expected there is no shame in returning home and saving the last of ones money.

I am dismayed when I read posts that people have no work and have spent all their savings as I know that saving money with a family is not an easy thing to do. I can understand their frustration and pain.

We always took the view that we would be where the work was and everything else would fall into place afterwards. Unfortunately money makes the world go round, puts food on the table and pays the rent so it has to be a first.

If things are really dicey then do what you have to and good on you.

Agreed too - I would not ever rule out returning to Australia if circumstances meant I could survive there better than in the UK - and that is also why I am pleased my son has citizenship, there may be a future point with a starving family that it's a lifeline for him.

Thanks all for your replies so far, although i've been picking up labouring jobs here and there my partner and I feel like we now just want to save some money and go home. I have let my folks and some friends know of my trying and failing to settle, Ive also contacted my previous employment who are looking into the possibility in re-employing myself. If we get any sort of go aheads in the next week to two weeks its looking like we are going home.

Only you know how you really feel and what you want. You are not going to go home if its not what you want.

It is possible to fall in love with something at first sight so why cant people dislike something immediately?

Its nice to have a dream and maybe aus for you, us and many others is best kept that way.

Keep us posted

Guest Guest 47403
Hi Y'all,

7 weeks is definitely to early to make any rash decisions, have a read of this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/132821-6-months-melbourne-breaking-us.html to see how initial feelings change about somewhere.

Archived