Wanting to Migrate

Jack91

Evening all!!!

Hello everyone. Just wanting to know a few things really! It's all getting a little stressful and I'm about > < close to jacking it all in! I'm a 22 year old male, I'm fully qualified in Bench Joinery. I have wanted to move to Australia since going out there for a working holiday in 2011. My girlfriend (of just over a year) is an Australian citizen and has moved out there. It's a bit of a coincidence that she's moved there really! I think I must've said something :biglaugh:

First things first, I'll get you up to date on the situation;

I've sent all my qualifications of to VETASSES. This has come back as successful and am now required to sort out a technical interview. This is not a problem. I'm just wanting to check a few things before booking it. What happens once I've passed, if I pass? I've taken the IELTS exam but ballsed up the listening exam and only got a 6.5. I did this a while ago purely to get it out the way.

VETASSESS mention a letter I have to send to Immigration in Australia. Lodging my visa application etc. I have signed up for SkillSelect, was this correct? I'm really not even sure. The information supplied by the immi website/vetassess is very limited and helps absolutely no one, unless you're clued up on all the relevant Visa numbers!!

It's all starting to get to me a little bit! :unsure:

Any help would be ideal. If you need more information or anything that's totally fine!

Cheers in advance!

JR

You probably need to retake your IELTS as you probably cannot pass the points test without it. So I suspect that is what you need to do next and it would be too soon to lodge anything with immigration just yet.

Have you done a points test and can you make 60 without IELTS? If not, get your test booked.

Once you have the positive skills assessment and IELTs (if required), you can lodge an expression of interest. But if you are getting confused, then I always think it is better to focus on one step at a time.

Do you know if your occupation is on the SOL or CSOL?

Right thank you Rupert - I had a feeling that was the solution! A little annoying as I hate tests of that nature! I can make 55 points - that's including my Aunt as a sponsor. It's even more annoying I'm not a little older!

My occupation is on the SOL.

Thanks for the reply!

Right thank you Rupert - I had a feeling that was the solution! A little annoying as I hate tests of that nature! I can make 55 points - that's including my Aunt as a sponsor. It's even more annoying I'm not a little older!

Thanks for the reply!

From what you have posted, I suggest that you would be well advised to consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy.

Hello Jack.

Yes, there are times when many of us have questioned the sanity and wisdom of the people who implement Australia's migration program.

However, it is what it is.

Maybe have a chat with a couple of the recommended migration agents on this forum to get a clearer idea of your options, and to lock in a strategy.

We're friendly - well most of us are! - and you might even decide to use one of us in due course to make the process less of a challenge.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

It seems to me that you really should do IELTS again and do some fairly extensive practise before you do so that you have a good chance of getting all 8s. You should be trying to get to 60 points without sponsorship from your aunt so that you can apply for a permanent 189 Independent visa. If you apply for a family sponsored 489 visa, it will only be provisional and you will have to live and work in a designated area until you meet the requirements to apply for AND have been granted a permanent visa. Also, the number of family sponsored visa is very limited and you may find that you have a much longer wait ahead than if you had applied for a 189.

I would just go and go as your girlfriend's defacto, much easier.

If he gains the points required he is eligible for PR in his own right now - processing is half the time compared to an offshore partner visa, and can remain in Australia indefinitely even if they break up. He will need to wait over 2 years for PR on a partner visa even if he was eligible for it - which does not sound like the case.

So no - not much easier.

Edited by lebourvellec

Yes but not if he will be put in the pool and possibly ignored for two years?

Under SkillSelect, visa grants for permanent visas come through much faster than used to be the case. If he gets to 60 points and applies for a 189 visa, he should have his visa and the Permanent Residence that comes with it, at least a year earlier than would be possible with a Partner visa. Not to mention the fact that he probably doesn't qualify for a Partner visa as her de facto - they would need to have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for virtually the whole relationship to this point for him to be eligible.

I would just go and go as your girlfriend's defacto, much easier.

It doesn't sound like he would qualify. Plus it would take a lot longer and only be provisional.

New applicants for skilled migration these days are being dealt with relatively quickly.

What if he isn't picked out though? That is a strong possibility? Dont they only pick certain people? And a certain amount of people?

They don't only pick certain people. All valid EOIs are treated equally and ranking is done by computer based purely on points claimed and time/date submitted. The only thing that will prevent an invitation being issued to an EOI that has reached a high ranking is if the annual ceiling has been reached for the nominated occupation (most unlikely for his occupation) or if the annual quota of visas has been reached which only happens just before the end of a Program Year and resets as soon as the new PY starts on 1 July.

Provided his occupation remains on the SOL, and provided he has a positive skills assessment and at least 60 points, he WILL get an invitation to apply for a visa within a few months and if everything is in order (e.g. if he hasn't claimed points to which he is not entitled or fails the medical or character checks), he WILL get a visa. The SkillSelect system is a big improvement on the previous system.

HI,speaking as a carpenter for over 30 yrs...20 yrs in oz..if and when you get here...you`ll find things a tad different in the trade..but, you`ll soon adapt..and if you are a grafter you`ll do well mate...its a nice place to work inside or out....you`ll have to put up with the aussies but,no wheres perfect..all the best..cheers

HI,speaking as a carpenter for over 30 yrs...20 yrs in oz..if and when you get here...you`ll find things a tad different in the trade..but, you`ll soon adapt..and if you are a grafter you`ll do well mate...its a nice place to work inside or out....you`ll have to put up with the aussies but,no wheres perfect..all the best..cheers

He's not a grafter. :biggrin:

Edited by Rupert

@Jack91 I can't really offer much advise on your specific situation but just wanted to wish you luck. It is early days in the process (and you only need to read other posts on here to see how arduous and complicated it can be worth, but it can be worth it. If it's the path you want to take, keep plugging away. Good luck!

Evening all!!!

Hello everyone. Just wanting to know a few things really! It's all getting a little stressful and I'm about > < close to jacking it all in! I'm a 22 year old male, I'm fully qualified in Bench Joinery. I have wanted to move to Australia since going out there for a working holiday in 2011. My girlfriend (of just over a year) is an Australian citizen and has moved out there. It's a bit of a coincidence that she's moved there really! I think I must've said something :biglaugh:

First things first, I'll get you up to date on the situation;

I've sent all my qualifications of to VETASSES. This has come back as successful and am now required to sort out a technical interview. This is not a problem. I'm just wanting to check a few things before booking it. What happens once I've passed, if I pass? I've taken the IELTS exam but ballsed up the listening exam and only got a 6.5. I did this a while ago purely to get it out the way.

VETASSESS mention a letter I have to send to Immigration in Australia. Lodging my visa application etc. I have signed up for SkillSelect, was this correct? I'm really not even sure. The information supplied by the immi website/vetassess is very limited and helps absolutely no one, unless you're clued up on all the relevant Visa numbers!!

It's all starting to get to me a little bit! :unsure:

Any help would be ideal. If you need more information or anything that's totally fine!

Cheers in advance!

JR