visa advice please help

doowie

Alright moi luvvers??? Just got into Sydney from Dorset. On a 457 visa and looking to get my wife and baby over here. But how do I go about it?? Looked online at the gov.au website but its all a bit mind boggling. Anyone been through this and has any advice? Please help

Why didn't you add them at the time you applied for the 457?

I am sure someone on here will tell you how to go about it, but it would have been easier to do it at the beginning. Anyway, enjoy Sydney and your time here.

You will first need to get written agreement from your employer to have them added to your 457 as secondary sponsored persons. Then your wife will have to apply for a 457 visa as a subsequent entrant and include your child on her application. It would have far easier if you have included them in your own application.

If your employer is not willing to have them added to your 457, the only way they will be able to come is on Visitor visas which will only allow a limited stay with no work rights. For a stay of up to 3 months, UK citizens only need an eVisitor which is free of charge. For a stay of up to 12 months (the maximum), they will each need a subclass 600 Visitor visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/651.aspx eVisitor

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/600.aspx 600 Visitor visa

Thanks, my company said they would only sponsor me and I would have to sort out the family myself. Also my wife wanted to stay back in the UK for a bit longer with the parents. Love it here in Sydney

Your on a 457, you don't have the rights to sponsor. Its solely up to your employer to sponsor your family.

Thanks, my company said they would only sponsor me and I would have to sort out the family myself. Also my wife wanted to stay back in the UK for a bit longer with the parents. Love it here in Sydney

You are in a tight spot then and I would not be happy with the company at all, you have basically been scammed as you certainly cannot sponsor your wife and child yourself.

The only way to get them here is if your wife can get a work visa in her own right. Otherwise they will just have to come out on holidays to visit you.

The company should do the right thing and allow them to be added.

I don't know what has shocked me more. A company that would split a family like that or that you have arrived here and only now wondering how your wife and baby can join you. Didn't you discuss this as a couple? Actually I am not sure if I should believe this thread or not..

Hmm anyway if what you have said is true then you really are in a pickle. Your wife is either going to have to find her own job and sponsor for 457 visa or you will need to look into skilled migration, either one of you could be the main applicant for that. What is your occupation? What is your wife's occupation?

Your wife might get out here once or twice on a tourist visa but she can't live here on one.

I don't know what has shocked me more. A company that would split a family like that or that you have arrived here and only now wondering how your wife and baby can join you. Didn't you discuss this as a couple? Actually I am not sure if I should believe this thread or not..

Hmm anyway if what you have said is true then you really are in a pickle. Your wife is either going to have to find her own job and sponsor for 457 visa or you will need to look into skilled migration, either one of you could be the main applicant for that. What is your occupation? What is your wife's occupation?

Your wife might get out here once or twice on a tourist visa but she can't live here on one.

I have been wondering the same, if this is actually a genuine thread.

It has made me a little mad though to think a company would do that. On the other hand I am not sure I quite understand how someone would move to the other side of the world and worry about the rest of the family at a later date.

I was going to reply to this but thought it probably wasn't genuine. I really don't believe someone would move to Australia and not have a clue how to get their family here - especially when all the information is so easy to find on the internet.

Well that is three of us with same thought then ... this is too incredulous isn't it? I suppose some might think there are a few of us that are a bit odd to sit here and answer queries on migration in our spare time, but to sit there and make stories up is even weirder.

:laugh:

I have been wondering the same, if this is actually a genuine thread.

It has made me a little mad though to think a company would do that. On the other hand I am not sure I quite understand how someone would move to the other side of the world and worry about the rest of the family at a later date.

Yes this is a genuine thread, I'm a mechanic and after my wife had our child we struggled like mad (like everyone does) living on one wage and work in the UK drying up in our area.A job came up here that offered a good wage, and a better life for all of us. Me and my wife decided that it would be better if I went out here alone 1st to see if the job was everything it promised and to get a house etc sorted so all she had to do was fly over with scarlet without any hassles.

The company I work for have offered me no assistance, I've had to pay for remuneration including my visa, the recruiter that got me here lied through her teeth to get me here and yes now I do feel scammed.

If there is no way I can add my wife onto my visa can I get RSMS visa and do it that way? If not we'll have to look into NZ or Canada

Yes this is a genuine thread, I'm a mechanic and after my wife had our child we struggled like mad (like everyone does) living on one wage and work in the UK drying up in our area.A job came up here that offered a good wage, and a better life for all of us. Me and my wife decided that it would be better if I went out here alone 1st to see if the job was everything it promised and to get a house etc sorted so all she had to do was fly over with scarlet without any hassles.

The company I work for have offered me no assistance, I've had to pay for remuneration including my visa, the recruiter that got me here lied through her teeth to get me here and yes now I do feel scammed.

If there is no way I can add my wife onto my visa can I get RSMS visa and do it that way? If not we'll have to look into NZ or Canada

Please get some professional advice asap.

I am actually mad for you that a company could do this. It sounds like they got you with a very cheap deal.

Did they pay your flight here? Are they paying you a decent salary? Is it on a level with your fellow Aussies?

Good luck.

You need proffessional advise asap. Your family can not be sponsored by you and the only way forward i can see is a skilled PR application. However, that may have issues as to if you can stay in the country and work while it is processed - which can easily take a year. There may though in that period be the option of a bridging visa, but you need proffessional advice on this. I would call someone like Go Matilda

Yes wage is very good, much better than I could ever dream in the UK. I'm very mad now at the company and the recruiter. I had to pay for flight here and find accommodation etc. Spoke to a few ppl on 457s that got everything handed to them on a plate.

Ok thank you very much I will seek some professional advice. The immigration department here are quite helpful but I will ask everyone I can.

Immigration are notorious for giving out wrong info. You really need a good migration agent.

Yes wage is very good, much better than I could ever dream in the UK. I'm very mad now at the company and the recruiter. I had to pay for flight here and find accommodation etc. Spoke to a few ppl on 457s that got everything handed to them on a plate.

I can understand you being annoyed mad at the company and the recruiter but without sounding harsh, aren't these are all things that you should've checked before making the actual move especially if you've had to pay for flights etc yourself? I completely agree with the others that you need to speak to an agent asap. Hope you manage to sort things out

I was wondering what your response would be. So you have got a bad deal here and I would have a very low opinion of this company too, but you know what, you are an adult and you should have thought about your wife and baby well before getting onto a plane. So man up and take some responsibility. Most people would have told this company and recruiter to take a running jump.

As to what to do next, well if the company are not going to sponsor your wife and child on the 457, why would they now go through another visa application for an RSMS visa? It would seem to me that skilled migration is a far better option to pursue as then you don't need the employer's assistance. I would pursue that avenue.

I was wondering what your response would be. So you have got a bad deal here and I would have a very low opinion of this company too, but you know what, you are an adult and you should have thought about your wife and baby well before getting onto a plane. So man up and take some responsibility. Most people would have told this company and recruiter to take a running jump.

As to what to do next, well if the company are not going to sponsor your wife and child on the 457, why would they now go through another visa application for an RSMS visa? It would seem to me that skilled migration is a far better option to pursue as then you don't need the employer's assistance. I would pursue that avenue.

Rupert when a company and a recruiter tell you that your wife and child can be added to your visa at anytime I tend to believe them as I believed they were genuine and after my best interests. How wrong was I but now I'm in this situation and after advice. I haven't posted on this forum before as I knew there would be arrogant people like you just after some one upmanship. I wouldn't stay with this company for RSMS I would find another. Like I said I'm asking for advice, if you're saying I'm a fool for getting on a plane and leaving my wife well I must have been a fool to serve my country in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Archived