seriously great news ....cant believe it

bunbury61

went to my virgin TiVo box last night , and there it was ...the AFL has started again ....watched round 1 from ESPN .....lo and behold ...the Adelaide derby was on, this morning at 5.30 live , worth waking up for ....then ......Collingwood v Sydney ......bloody struggled to get out of bed ....happy days

Missed the mighty Bombers running Hawthorn close though ......

love it ......

I struggled to be interested in AFL in Australia, did go to a couple of WAFL games & my son supported the Dockers so loosely followed them but certainly not missing it now I'm back!

Two defeats for the Swans! Not a good start. My friend Kurt, who as transferred his allegiance from Swans to Giants, watched Giants v St Kilda at the Strawberry Hills in the arvo, then went out to ANZ for the Swans v Collingwood game. He was at the SCG last week for the baseball too.

Never managed to get the slightest interest in AFL except, perhaps in the nice muscled legs in skimpy shorts occasionally (are ladies allowed to say that?). Did have to appear to at least notice Essendon when I worked for the parent of a top Essendon player but that was pure political expediency. My DH, on the other hand, always played the Footy Tipping.

Two defeats for the Swans! Not a good start. My friend Kurt, who as transferred his allegiance from Swans to Giants, watched Giants v St Kilda at the Strawberry Hills in the arvo, then went out to ANZ for the Swans v Collingwood game. He was at the SCG last week for the baseball too.

WHAT !!!!!!....transfer your allegiance between teams ......never ever ever ...no matter what sport or code .....that's bollocks

An underrated game outside of Oz IMO. The fitness level of those guys is unbelievable. I enjoy the goal celebrations every 6 mins as opposed to every 30 if your lucky in soccer. I even enjoy the campy club anthems and it's a great family atmosphere.

Fantastic atmosphere at the Adelaide oval yesterday(over 50,000 crowd) Port v Crows local derby first time at the oval. When I first arrived in Adelaide all I heard on local radio was crows, crows, crows and they clearly were the better team......so I decided to support the underdog (Port Adelaide) how things have changed now, great first season for the new coach last year and gave them crows a right beating yesterday.

An underrated game outside of Oz IMO. The fitness level of those guys is unbelievable. I enjoy the goal celebrations every 6 mins as opposed to every 30 if your lucky in soccer. I even enjoy the campy club anthems and it's a great family atmosphere.

Played it a few times in pre season friendlies at local level whilst in oz ...and yes , you have to be fit to play it ...its a completely different kicking style ...and you have to watch the " hammies " if you are a pommie footballer .

" soccer " players make very good aussie rules players they tend to have better balance , as long as they can take the hits , which was the the bit I loved .

As I have stated before watching the old aussie rules players play soccer wasn't as successful ....don't go around them ...just go through everything in your way ...just boot it 50 yards ahead , and smash everything in the way ....I had some good laughs with the lads .....bloody funny

Fantastic atmosphere at the Adelaide oval yesterday(over 50,000 crowd) Port v Crows local derby first time at the oval. When I first arrived in Adelaide all I heard on local radio was crows, crows, crows and they clearly were the better team......so I decided to support the underdog (Port Adelaide) how things have changed now, great first season for the new coach last year and gave them crows a right beating yesterday.

it was interesting to hear that on the inception of the Adelaide crows in 1991 ....every team in SA , embraced the idea of the new team ...except port , who were the biggest team in the state league, you either supported port or hated them , a bit like Collingwood:wink: ....the rivalry was probably born there and then

Miss my TiVo box :cry:

Saw a a bit of the crows game yesterday but couldn't watch too much. We're crows fans here, my OH is a fan from way back. His brother used to play for Norwood reserves way back before the AFL and apparently this means he is practically an Adelaide Crow himself :unsure: I've only been in Australia just over 18 months and I have been well and truly drawn in to the game. My OH always used to say soccer would be much better with bigger goals and no goal keepers and I now understand where he was coming from.

it was interesting to hear that on the inception of the Adelaide crows in 1991 ....every team in SA , embraced the idea of the new team ...except port , who were the biggest team in the state league, you either supported port or hated them , a bit like Collingwood:wink: ....the rivalry was probably born there and then

That's exactly how the locals describe it mate. I'm glad I chose Port, the fans are certainly more vocal.....many say feral :laugh:

Collingwood are like the Man utd of the afl........everyone but Collingwood fans hate them :cute:

Archived