Poverty in Australia is higher than the OECD average

simmo

This doesnt surprise me at all.....when we think about Australia most of us think about the plush middle class suburbs laden with detached 4x2's with walk-in-robes and a pool in the back garden, 5 mins walk away from a lovely white sandy beach......we all seem to forget about the indigenous population of Oz, most of which live in abject poverty and squalor.....in fact Australian indigenous poverty ranks along side countries like Bangladesh where they are deprived of basic human needs like food, fresh drinking water and sanitation to name but a few.....coupled with the often severe alcohol and substance abuse they suffer.....out of sight.....out of mind.

aboriginaldisadvantage.jpg

Middle class because we have a 4x2 a walk in wardrobe a pool and a house within walking distance to the beach? Nah this is Australia mate the land of opportunity where the working class can have all these things and more.
Exactly right QSS. Those same opportunities are there for the indigenous population too but for some reason very few want to put the hard yards in and just want to blame everyone else for their problems. Saw a Simon Reeves documentary a few weeks ago when he went to Kalgoorlie. Made a big point about interviewing an English guy there who was a truck driver and done really well. Then interviewed a few more people on the mine on big money. A few ladies working in the mine and fitting work round the kids. Then he went to the aborigine camp, right next to the mine, which looks like a tip. He interviewed one guy who blamed all their problems on whites. I was waiting for Simon to ask the guy why none of them thought of working in the mines. Strangely enough he never did. Can't be too controversial can he.

Guest Guest26012
not sure if that's appropriate:mad:

Inappropriate then? I live here. My comment was aimed at above posts that slate oz as not looking after their indigenous population. Different opinions? One in ten cannot afford to buy enough food? Rubbish! Stupid link IMO!

Guest Guest26012
amazing head in the sand attitude to poverty in such a prosperous country.

No head in the sand here! we live here! Believe what you read? We know nothing PMSL!

Inappropriate then? I live here. My comment was aimed at above posts that slate oz as not looking after their indigenous population. Different opinions? One in ten cannot afford to buy enough food? Rubbish! Stupid link IMO!

Those one in ten probably live 1000km from the nearest shop.

That's the thing about averages, some have to be above, some below. Did you read the whole article Simmo or just the first line? There was not really much more said the further into the article you read.

I bet a lot that claim the can't buy food still have a pack of ciggies in their pocket and a few tinniesin the fridge, seen it first hand.

That's the thing about averages, some have to be above, some below. Did you read the whole article Simmo or just the first line? There was not really much more said the further into the article you read.

I bet a lot that claim the can't buy food still have a pack of ciggies in their pocket and a few tinniesin the fridge, seen it first hand.

just the 1st line:embarrassed:

Archived