Working as a Pommy FIFO Worker

PNE POM

To all you FIFO workers who have either gone back to the UK, or thinking about it. Do you think the crappy FIFO rosters have something to do with going home?

I work a 11 days on 3 days off roster an I know that it does have a large play in me heading home in early 2015......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think rosters can have a big bearing on your happiness no matter where you live. We actually moved to Australia again to get away from a horrid roster. We lived in Cornwall but my OH was working 6 weeks in Karratha, then having 3 weeks off (but travelling in his own time). His jet lag and the travel time meant he only had about 2 good weeks at home each swing, during which time I worked as well. So we moved down to residential jobs and it has been a good decision from that point of view.

We're now considering another FIFO stint, I am starting maternity leave next week and my partner has an interview next week FIFO to PNG. But the roster is 16 days on 12 days off, which certainly isn't the worst in the world. We'll see how the interview goes and what his pay etc will be, I think I could do another year of that but not much more, then we'll definitely be moving back to the UK!

That sounds a pretty good roster to me, try 4 weeks on 1 off!

That sucks! I guess that's in construction? I've always got the impression mining rosters are a bit better than construction. When my OH worked in Karratha some of the guys worked 6 weeks on 1 week off and that was construction. When I was FIFO in Canada it was 2 weeks on 2 weeks off!

But I guess everyone is pulling their belts tighter and mines may start to squeeze the rosters too.

when me and the kids go back to the uk my hubby will be doing 8 wks on 2 wks off :sad: so dont know how long we will be able to keep that up .... our choice though because we want to get the kids back in to uk school as they are 16 and 13 and if we leave it any longer its not far on them ......

That sounds a pretty good roster to me, try 4 weeks on 1 off!

Yeah that does suck, I started on 5 weeks an 1 off 8 years ago. The best was roster was when I worked for BHP 9 days and 5 off, my golf had never been soooo good!

However the call of the money came 3 years ago with an EPCM an the 11 days on 3 off, home at 8:30 PM then out Tuesday 6am, trust me its not a life AJ. Back to the North sea for me an a nice 2 weeks on 2 off :biggrin:

That sucks! I guess that's in construction? I've always got the impression mining rosters are a bit better than construction. When my OH worked in Karratha some of the guys worked 6 weeks on 1 week off and that was construction. When I was FIFO in Canada it was 2 weeks on 2 weeks off!

But I guess everyone is pulling their belts tighter and mines may start to squeeze the rosters too.

Squeeze the belts is correct, we have just taken another 10% pay cut!

iv been doing 23 days on 5 off for the last 2.5 years. iv just moved the wife back to the UK and im doing triple swings to get 3 weeks at home. im white collar in construction and ill be doing FIFO but based in UK. seems to be some good contracts in Europe, Africa and south america at the moment.

PNE the north sea shouldn't be a problem depending on your field

iv been doing 23 days on 5 off for the last 2.5 years. iv just moved the wife back to the UK and im doing triple swings to get 3 weeks at home. im white collar in construction and ill be doing FIFO but based in UK. seems to be some good contracts in Europe, Africa and south america at the moment.

PNE the north sea shouldn't be a problem depending on your field

FIFO from UK, I couldn't manage all the flying, good on ya thou Supercad. I worked 8 years in the North sea flying out of Aberdeen, Yarmouth and Humberside started when I was 18. I'm a H&S Superintendent now there seems to be quite a few jobs going at the moment in the UK right know, completed my NEBOSH etc when I lived there so shouldnt be a huge issue.

The annoying thing in OZ, all of the Oil and Gas companies say that I haven't had the experience, which is a bloody joke! But like anything over here, you just have to move on an deal with it

Im currently on a fifo job its 3/1 not one of the best swings and not one of the worst also,but the location its at and the company probably worst i been on as in jobs,not that i have had much luck with many over here.

I been working the north sea for 21yrs plus and so used to doing the 2/2 and i came over here for a better lifestyle,but to be away working some of the swings they ask of you i dont think im going to have much of a lifestyle.

I have a 18 month old and im not going to see much of her,i could easy get a job tomorrow back in uk with company i worked with on and off for 21yrs and be back on a 2/2 again,ok i could get a job local here but the money is way less and cause perth is expensive and i be the only earner then maybe a struggle.

I am even considering yes as nice as australia is if its really the place for me working away all the time,not getting much time off and not seeing my little girl grow up to going back and spending qualitity time with her and wife 2 weeks each month.

Its hard i do at times like australia but more times i think of going back,one reason being the hassles of getting the work and applying and the swigs if fifo

Im currently on a fifo job its 3/1 not one of the best swings and not one of the worst also,but the location its at and the company probably worst i been on as in jobs,not that i have had much luck with many over here.

I been working the north sea for 21yrs plus and so used to doing the 2/2 and i came over here for a better lifestyle,but to be away working some of the swings they ask of you i dont think im going to have much of a lifestyle.

I have a 18 month old and im not going to see much of her,i could easy get a job tomorrow back in uk with company i worked with on and off for 21yrs and be back on a 2/2 again,ok i could get a job local here but the money is way less and cause perth is expensive and i be the only earner then maybe a struggle.

I am even considering yes as nice as australia is if its really the place for me working away all the time,not getting much time off and not seeing my little girl grow up to going back and spending qualitity time with her and wife 2 weeks each month.

Its hard i do at times like australia but more times i think of going back,one reason being the hassles of getting the work and applying and the swigs if fifo

Agreed, the mining boom is over, good times have gone. We are left with the average rosters with average companies on reduced wages, there is talk of BHP having another cull soon. I think over the next year it would be a good time to head home an put my family before the wage. Which site are you on bwatt99? Sounds like maybe Roy hill? Old Gina, she is the one that started all the wages cuts, bless her! :mad:

more to life than money mate,and you kind of need as much of it as you can over here as everything costs more.

Well, there you go...So, get a job close to mum and the kids...As I said, if you want the money...

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes very helpfull bob i suppose you not worked offshore, thats what I wanted to break into over here but if its like anything else here it be hard tge getting a job, trying for jobs to me has just been a joke.one employer I tried before I came here and updated once arrived, kept contacting and they kept saying be in touch now for some reason 10 months later they are asking me to complete a form its all upto date on there site.just lost interest in them now this long to even be considered.

As said if I flew back to uk tomorrow I would get start right away.not as said the bull you have too go through and put up with over here to even get a start.and I have even found that some blokes don't have much of a clue.

But then employers want you to have oz qualification and experience.

On jobs j have been on it was many of them first oil and gas job.im now considering if this place is for me.a big part of me us still trying to settle and part of me says go back.i maybe happier with a better swing or what im used to equal time and offshore but cant see that here to be honest its who you know for sure.

I am moving out to Sydney in the next 8 weeks for an offshore/FIFO job out of Dampier, 5week on/off and conditions better then North Sea that I did in the past. But it has been harder getting the work then it was in the UK. We are going to the antipodes for a better life with stable contracts.

Yes very helpfull bob i suppose you not worked offshore, thats what I wanted to break into over here but if its like anything else here it be hard tge getting a job, trying for jobs to me has just been a joke.one employer I tried before I came here and updated once arrived, kept contacting and they kept saying be in touch now for some reason 10 months later they are asking me to complete a form its all upto date on there site.just lost interest in them now this long to even be considered.

As said if I flew back to uk tomorrow I would get start right away.not as said the bull you have too go through and put up with over here to even get a start.and I have even found that some blokes don't have much of a clue.

But then employers want you to have oz qualification and experience.

On jobs j have been on it was many of them first oil and gas job.im now considering if this place is for me.a big part of me us still trying to settle and part of me says go back.i maybe happier with a better swing or what im used to equal time and offshore but cant see that here to be honest its who you know for sure.

So, you chose to chase the big money, why, then are you whingeing to us?

And yes, I was doing that sort of work in the 1960s and 70s; mostly in semi desert country. 2 weeks on, second weekend off. We didn't have the luxury of a flight, it was a 4 hour drive after work and a 4 hour drive back on sunday afternoons.

Cheers, Bobj.

If you blokes want the money, put up, or shut up, OK?

Cheers, Bobj.

Your tone of posting seems to have changed lately bobj. Is everything OK at home? You know me, I'm happy in either country, so I'm not taking a pop. It just seems to be getting to you, and it's not pretty. Have a think about things. I enjoy your posts, but lately they taste bitter.

Your tone of posting seems to have changed lately bobj. Is everything OK at home? You know me, I'm happy in either country, so I'm not taking a pop. It just seems to be getting to you, and it's not pretty. Have a think about things. I enjoy your posts, but lately they taste bitter.

Not in the least bit bitter, Jezza, just that people sign documents knowing full well what the situation is and then whingeing.

It appears to be the old saw, biting the hand that...

Cheers, Bobj.

Not in the least bit bitter, Jezza, just that people sign documents knowing full well what the situation is and then whingeing.

It appears to be the old saw, biting the hand that...

Cheers, Bobj.

Well try not to let it get to you. There will be those moving back as the economy is changing. There are those who just come for the money, and there is nothing wrong with that. They worked and paid taxes, and sometimes that's just how it is. Some fall in love with the place. Some don't. Doesn't really matter, and it's not a reflection on the people. Some are bitter about the experience, and that's something they need to work through.

As most martial arts will tell you, it's best to work with an opposing force rather than try and best it. Deflection is always the best defence.

Archived