contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

Hey there Evelyn,

Brissie is great. We came out over three years ago and went where the work was. Boy was it right for us! Brissie ticked all the boxes and then some! I am still with the same employer from when I started, that was great too!

Prices have gone up in the time we have been here. Cost of living is a hard question to answer as it all depends on property, available cash, what kind of lifestyle you are "hoping" to lead etc etc.

We bought all new furniture when we arrived. We went to "WOW" for out plasma tele, "Supa-A-Mart" for furniture and "Harvey Norman" for the electricals. Wouldnt like to add it all up what we spent!!!!!

Cant offer any info at the moment on Runaway Bay. Sorry =( You will probably get more sense out of the internet than from me!!!

GOod Luck and keep us all posted!

Just noticed your reply thanks for all the info we are also not taking big stuff with us thats if and when we ever get there getting impatient with the house not even had one nosey person but John says I have to be patient I have been B----y patient for almost 2yrs now, we are just waiting to place 2nd instalment thats if they will accept medicals they expired end May but once we get Visa I don't want to be hanging around but not a lot we can do still I will get another trip out to have Visa activated.

Runnaway Bay is lovely we had a holiday up there last April but its all nice round their we never got into Brisboune but really looking forward to finding my way around it all looks great

Glad you are both happy and enjoying your jobs I had interview while I was out at Tricare in Pimpama have you ever heard of then Jo and have to get in touch once we know when we will move but that was last April so who knows but I,m sure we will find something John is also a Mech Fitter so don't think we will stick especially if you are not fussy about what you do.

How.s the parents getting on with their house selling they ,ve not had a lot of luck either.

Hope you are both well

Evelyn:chatterbox:

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Where'sTheWind

Hi guys

just thought I'd let you know that my folks got a Case Officer yesterday , and their lodgement date was 26 July, so they appear to be hammering through July after the long slog through June! - good news for anyone with lodgements in August

cheers

Rick

Guest JoanneHattersley
How.s the parents getting on with their house selling they ,ve not had a lot of luck either.

Hope you are both well

Evelyn:chatterbox:

Hi there , we are great! Mum and Dads housesale fell through recently so it is back on the market again!

Just as we get so close to getting together again it seems something jumps in our way! We`ll get there eventually but I cant wait to sit in my garden and share a bottle of wine with them while the BBQ is on!

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi guys

just thought I'd let you know that my folks got a Case Officer yesterday ' date=' and their lodgement date was 26 July, so they appear to be hammering through July after the long slog through June! - good news for anyone with lodgements in August

cheers

Rick[/quote']

Hi Rick

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!

With the meds and police out of the way, you've only the AoS left to do really.

Have your parents put their house on the market yet?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Where'sTheWind

Hi Gill

Yes, they're over the moon to get to this stage. The house has already been on the market for two months but nothing happening at all, so they're going to drop the price substantially to try and shift it.

I have a feeling though that it's going to take ages, so I think they'll be heading out here at Christmas for a validation trip. Not ideal, but we'll all just happy that they're so close to getting that magic visa - hopefully from here on in it's just a couple of (expensive!) formalities.

cheers

R

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone, just when we thought the wait was coming to an end!!( My post above) AOS has been sorted with centrelink and bond lodged. I recieve email from HOC asking for more info on mother-inlaw, she has to go see a cardiologist and have some tests ECG and few other things, all conected to heart disease, they want to know what surgical and medical treatment she will need in the future. Cant believe this wasnt asked for before the AOS was requested?? I felt so bad calling her to tell her after telling her the meds must be ok because the AOS was asked for:sad: Hopefully this is just a formality because she has a condition. We are in OZ and her & father-inlaw are on their own in the UK, so we feel so sorry for them having something else to worry about, both of them are in their late seventies. Sorry for going on & on. I will let you all know how things go. love Ann

Hello Ann

I am sooo sorry but I have only just noticed this post.

This is not right. If the meds were sent to Sydney on 30th April, DIAC have had nearly 2 months in which to sort these meds out. They are NOT supposed to ask people for the AOS unless the meds are OK, so what do the POPC have to say for themselves?

Have the POPC taken the trouble to track these meds back through the Health Operations Centre and to the Health Assessment Service? If not, how do they know that there has been no mistake and what is their excuse for not having dealt with this in the proper order?

If it were me, heads at the POPC and the HOC would ROLL about this, I can assure you. I will send you an e-mail that might help.

Best wishes

Gill

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Still nail biting here, AOS paid in 2 weeks ago.... waiting for request for 2nd VAC.

Been told it will be 6 - 8 weeks! Followed by XX time in transferring cash to OZ, issue and taking / sending passports to Aus house.

So my next question is.... from paying in the AOS... to smiling at the visa in the passport...How Long?

Flights seem to be going up in price by the hour!

L. L.

Just wrote off to Gordon Clown, sorry Brown suggesting that all CPV applicants should get a medal for patience and endurance above and beyond of duty or that demonstrated by his front benchers!

Good news is the Credit Crunch is getting worse - soon you wont need to worry about selling your house, it will soon be worth nothing and you can just walk away and ignore it! :-((

Guest Gollywobbler

HI LL

There are no hard & fast rules. Individual COs have a lot of discretion about the way they manage applications, they all have their own "styles" of working and so on. Some are better at managing their own time than others as well.

However it is a two way street. If you have a particular reason for wanting your CO to hurry things up, say so. They tend to be willing to accomodate the applicant's wishes in so far as they can.

Best wishes

Gill

PS: I'm shocked by the price of flights recently too. Have you thought about catching the bus?

OZBUS, London to Sydney Bus Travel

Guest austibeach

No matter what the flight costs are, I really fancy that Ozbus trip, it would appeal to my sense of adventure. I doubt my dear wife would feel quite the same way, but I may try and persuade her.

Eric.

Guest OldiesRUs

We paid our AOS first week of July. Received email from CO on Friday to say that all conditions for the visa have been satisfied and we will get the request for 2nd payment within 4 weeks.

And so we wait - no change there then.

At least the Aussie dollar is climbing back up, so that's one bit of good news.

Jean:wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi Gill (or anyone else that can help)

Could I ask a question? Mum is planning her next trip to Aus (3 months to stay with my sister). She is thinking of putting the house on the market shortly and thinks that when she comes back at end of Jan she may look at applying for a 12mth visitors visa while she waits for her CPV. Does she need a medical for an extended visitor visa (I know she doesn't with the normal ETA)? If she does this and goes out to Aus can she get the medical for her CPV done over there (when we enquired over there for ours we were told they would probably be a lot cheaper)?

Thanks for your help

Sarah

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill (or anyone else that can help)

Could I ask a question? Mum is planning her next trip to Aus (3 months to stay with my sister). She is thinking of putting the house on the market shortly and thinks that when she comes back at end of Jan she may look at applying for a 12mth visitors visa while she waits for her CPV. Does she need a medical for an extended visitor visa (I know she doesn't with the normal ETA)? If she does this and goes out to Aus can she get the medical for her CPV done over there (when we enquired over there for ours we were told they would probably be a lot cheaper)?

Thanks for your help

Sarah

Hello Seff & Sarah

Mum's meds for her CPV can be done in Australia. The HSA Group of doctors are the only doctors who can do visa meds in Australia:

HSA Group

Mum would only need meds in connection with a subclass 676 tourist visa if she is or will be 70 or over when it is granted. If she needs to get a Visitor Visa Medical Certificate completed, her own GP can do it:

dima_health - Australian High Commission

Best wishes

Gill

Guest june coates

hi sarah,

the answer is yes.i came on 12mth visa to wait for cpv last dec.and had meds.done in perth in jan.this year.it is much cheaper than in england.she will just have chest xray,bloods and basic medical examination.the xrays were done first and bloods,then went back 3 days later for medical exam.

june

June

Can I ask - and you don't have to answer if you may incriminate yourself! - but are you able to work while awaiting your permanent visa, and are you currently living with family until you get CPV through?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Liz

It is strictly forbidden to do paid work whilst on a tourist visa in Oz. It is OK to make a contribution to the community by doing some unpaid, voluntary work like charity work.

Someone who is in Oz on a tourist visa can buy a house if they wish. The points to note are:

1. FIRB consent will be needed, so the offer needs to be conditional on the FIRB consent being forthcoming. Real estate agents generally know all the drills for obtaining FIRB consent:

FIRB: Foreign Investment Review Board - Home

2. If you wait till you have PR before buying a home, you would be entitled to the First Home Owners Grant of $7,000.

3. In some (but I think not all) States, people buying their first home in Oz are exempt from Stamp Duty on the purchase if the house is under a certain amount. I am told that in WA, a new migrant with PR pays no stamp duty if the price of the property is less than $500,000 but it varies a LOT from State to State, I believe. I don't know how WA calculates Stamp Duty so I don't know how much Stamp Duty somebody who does not have PR would have to pay.

Also it is worth checking with a tax-accountant before buying a home for Parent migrants. A lot of families decide to put the Parents' house into the names of one or more of their children in Oz. I have been told that there are sound tax reasons for this. I don't know anything about tax. I think the vague gist is that if a Young Blood buys a second home for rental purposes, it shows that s/he is making prudent provision for his/her old age and so is treated favourably by the tax man in some way. It is OK if the Parents then become the child's tenants, paying rent. I don't know whether that can be just a nominal rent.

I'm not saying this is a "must do" idea. Without understanding the tax-angle, I haven't a clue. It is just that so many families opt to do this that I think there might be sound reasons for it. An Aussie tax accountant would know.

Best wishes

Gill

Many thanks Gill. (Sorry June don't need to answer that) Will keep this and refer back to it before making any major decisions re property - would be interesting to know if they allow liferent classification within title deeds as we do here - just in case family decide to kick me out because they can get more rent elsewhere lol!.

I notice this thread is getting very long and takes a while to load up. Got so bad I thought PC was crashing!!

Must be loads of CPV'rs or maybe we just talk a lot!!

Would making a new thread entitled CPV - Part 2 help? with reference back to this Part 1 if required? Could take all the relevant sections and queries forward as required to save you re-writing it all again!

Cheers,

Liz x

Guest austibeach

Hi Liz,

if any thread appears to be taking a long time to load, it's more likely that the "problem is at your end. I'm sorry if I am "teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs", but have you checked to see how much free memory you have on your computer. Usually if a website, or anything within a website, takes too long to load, the problem will be with your ISP, or you are low on memory. There are other possiblities, but these are less common.

Only trying to help,

Eric.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Liz

Eric is a genius with computers. That is for sure. He has told me how to fix various "features" on mine, and if you follow his instructions, they work first time and every time. Marvellous. FAR better than the IT Helpdesk at work, I might add.

I was wondering whether you are on a dial-up connection?

Another tip that might help is that when a thread has a lot of pages, instead of clicking on the title of the thread to open it, I click on "last page" so that the machine will go straight to the last page of the thread. That saves me a lot of time.

I've had a look into the possibility of splitting the thread. Nothing in the moderation controls would enable me to do it, as far as I can work out.

Rather than fiddle with it when I am not sure what I am doing, I have asked Tim (Site Admin) to have a look into it. He understands how the software works, plus he's got control of the back-ups, so if he makes a mistake he can undo it very quickly.

It might take a day or two to discover what is possible, because Tim isn't always around, but I am sure he'll look into it as soon as he can.

Please let us know whether any of Eric's or my suggestions are helping you at all.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Eric,

Much appreciated - not offended at all. Probably videos of granddaughter clogging it up! Maybe it's time to get son to sort it out again via remote assistance.

At the moment though, I only appear to have a problem with the big ones. Oops, I'll clarify that (a bit "oo er Mrs " that statement!) The long threads with 20 pages plus which made me think it might be the size of thread that was the problem.

Thanks again

Liz

Gill - thank you too - know who to contact now in an emergency - Eric!

Guest austibeach
Eric is a genius with computers.

Omit genius, I have simply been using computers a long time and have experienced an awful lot of the problems that most people have........many times !

Most "problems" have simple answers............even on computers.

Eric.

Guest austibeach
Thanks Eric,

Much appreciated - not offended at all. Probably

videos of granddaughter
clogging it up! Maybe it's time to get son to sort it out again via remote assistance.

At the moment though, I only appear to have a problem with the big ones. Oops, I'll clarify that (a bit "oo er Mrs " that statement!) The long threads with 20 pages plus which made me think it might be the size of thread that was the problem.

Thanks again

Liz

Gill - thank you too - know who to contact now in an emergency!

Videos are large files and unless compressed, will use an awful lot of your available memory. It's maybe time to burn them on to disc and free up some space.

Eric.

Now that I will need help to do Eric - been thinking about it for a while but don't even know what kind of discs to get! When I get a little more organised I'll be back to annoy you for more info!

Many thanks

Liz

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Thanks Gill

Gives her something to think about. She has just booked her flights for end Oct today so I am thoroughly jelous. When she gets back she can make further decisions

Sarah

Guest Where'sTheWind
We paid our AOS first week of July. Received email from CO on Friday to say that all conditions for the visa have been satisfied and we will get the request for 2nd payment within 4 weeks.

And so we wait - no change there then.

At least the Aussie dollar is climbing back up, so that's one bit of good news.

Jean:wubclub:

Hi Jean

just to let you know, since your timeline is almost identical to mum and dad's, that they got their request for the 2nd VAC yesterday, so hopefully yours should be just around the corner. Mind you, theirs did come in response to a an email they sent to their CO requesting an update on progress, so firing off a quick email to your CO might help move things along a bit.

For the record they got their CO allocated 12 June and the AoS bond was posted around the first week of July.

good luck

rick

Archived