contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest missymon

Hi Gill,

I have just tried the email way but when I clicked on to send an email it came back that SAVTA does not wish to recieve emails so I guess I will just wait to see if she gets my PM and hope I get a reply. Fingers crossed.

Monica

Guest Scardycat

Hi Gill

What if I sold my house before going out to Oz on a 676, (if I didn't get the CPV would want to move anyway), but would I have to pay tax on it as I would still be a UK resident, does it count if I put the money into a property in Oz. If it means I would have to pay CGT then I will carry on with my plan to rent it out

Thank

Cat

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cat

I have absolutely no idea about the tax aspects either in Oz or in the UK. We haven't moved any of Mum's assets to Oz - just Mum herself. Elaine and her tax-accountant must be sorting out the Australian end of Mum's tax-affairs I guess. I don't know. The subject has not been mentioned to me.

There might be some information in the tax factsheets on Alan Collett's accountancy website. Please see here:

Collett & Co

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Scardycat

Thanks Gill, will have a read, am just going through my options at the moment, so that I'm prepared when the time comes. Mind you if my track record is anything to go by I wont be at all prepared.

I think I am leaning towards renting the house then if I do have to come back to the UK for any length of time I will have somewhere to stay, if I let out on 6 or 12 month contracts

Anyway thanks again, hope you are keeping well

Cat

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cat

In your shoes I think I would definitely rent your house out rather than sell it too soon. I am pretty sure (though I am NOOOOOOO expert on CGT) that you can let it out for at least 3 years without upsetting the Principal Private Residence exemption.

Please see this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/33476-capital-gains-tax-house-sale.html

The Go Matilda forum seems to be a place where tax issues are much-discussed too:

The Tax and Money Forum - Forum Powered by eve community

I have a complete mental block about tax. It was the only exam out of the dozens that I took on the path to becoming a solicitor that had me in floods of tears afterwards. I didn't understand any of the questions and I wrote gibberish answers and hoped for the best, not having a clue what I was waffling about. Literally. How on earth I passed it I will never know. But it left me with a lifelong horror of anything to do with tax.

I literally stood outside the Ally Pally (a form of sadism used by the Law Society and the Bar Council was to hold the Common Professional Exams there) wailing to a friend, "That's it. If I have failed tax I am NOT prepared to re-sit it. I will abandon the Law and find some other profession instead." Believe me, Cat, I meant it back then and I still mean it today!

Best wishes

Gill

Guest missymon
hi Gill,

Reading all the info about CPV with great interest. Mum only just applied so we are definitely at back of the queue but we'll get to the front eventually! Don't know if you or anyone else can help with this one.....Because of house prices etc as Caz says, mum is deciding to follow your mum's lead and throw caution to the wind, sell the house and move out on a 1yr tourist visa when our visa is issued. Obviously she will need the proceeds of the house to buy somewhere out in Oz. Does anyone know where she will pay tax if at all if she no longer has a permanent address in UK and only in Oz on Temp Visa?

Hope someone is able to shed a little light on the matter.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Just to let you know, we sent off our CPV application on 28th March'08 and this morning have received our acknowledgement from DIAC so we may be just one in front of your mum in the queue LOL

They told us that the CO's are currently processing the applications that were lodged on 30th June 2007 so we just have to wait and wait and wait and............:wacko:

Monica

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Monica

I'm really pleased to hear that you've had your acknowledgement. Now the long wait begins but at least you can now watch other people's timelines and get a feel for your own.

The Minister is expected to announce the 2008/9 visa quotas sometime in the second half of May. Once we know what is happening about the CPV quota we can get down to some number crunching and figure out the likely timescales for recent applications.

Thanks very much for letting us know that the POPC are now up to the end of June 2007 with contacting CPV applicants. That's great news because one or two people who have been waiting....and waiting.... and waiting like OldiesRUs should now hear something pretty soon, I hope.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Where'sTheWind

Hi Monica

Congratulations on getting to the next stage, and thanks for posting that update on where POPC are at at the moment. Hopefully the new quotas will work in your favour and you won't have to wait quite as long as some on here!

cheers

WTW

Guest Where'sTheWind
Hi Monica

I'm really pleased to hear that you've had your acknowledgement. Now the long wait begins but at least you can now watch other people's timelines and get a feel for your own.

The Minister is expected to announce the 2008/9 visa quotas sometime in the second half of May. Once we know what is happening about the CPV quota we can get down to some number crunching and figure out the likely timescales for recent applications.

Thanks very much for letting us know that the POPC are now up to the end of June 2007 with contacting CPV applicants. That's great news because one or two people who have been waiting....and waiting.... and waiting like OldiesRUs should now hear something pretty soon, I hope.

Best wishes

Gill

Hey Gill

Where are you getting this great information regarding up-coming announcements by the gov regarding quotas !!? I'm starting to think you might have the cabinet room bugged ! :-)

Guest cazbeckham

Hi June

We applied beginning of Feb 07 and had meds and police checks cleared in Dec 07 and also our AOS was paid in mid Dec 07 but on the day we were going to be asked for 2nd vac payment it was stopped so I just hope I am in the front of the queue..................

Good Luck

Caz

Guest Gollywobbler
Hey Gill

Where are you getting this great information regarding up-coming announcements by the gov regarding quotas !!? I'm starting to think you might have the cabinet room bugged ! :-)

Hi WTW

Someone phoned the Minister's office and was told about the April Cabinet Meeting. The Minister's Diary Secretary ought to be able to confirm when the meeting was/is if you make contact and insist on a word with the Diary Secretary.

Please see here:

Parliament of Australia:Senate:Senators:Senator the Hon.*Christopher*Evans

I don't know where Ventor is except that it seems to be a Fed Electorate district of West Perth. If Senator Evans happens to be your Federal MP then you've got a cast iron excuse to give him some stick!

I have heard that the new quotas are likely to be released at the same time as the DIAC Budget for 2008/9. I am told that that is usually published in mid-May.

Have your Parents' meds been cleared yet do you know? If not' date=' they could find out by ringing or e-mailing Oz House in London. The details are here:

Visas and migration - Australian High Commission

Oz House answer the phone pretty quickly so it costs less than a tenner to ring them. Parents would need their passport details handy. I don't know whether you would be able to get through to a UK premium rate number from outside the UK.

Once you know that the meds and pccs are on the system and marked as cleared, it would be time to chivvy the POPC about whether your Parents have been added to the Queue and by now they might be able to confirm Queue Dates (ie date of addition to the Queue) how many people are ahead of your Parents and roughly when the POPC expect to be able to ask for your Parents' AOS etc.

It would also be worth contacting Centrelink in Perth to find out how long they would take before they can see you. The CO issues a letter, signed by the CO. Elaine told me that Centrelink said they could not see Elaine unless she was able to produce this letter when she got to their office. Elaine got the CO to fax the letter to her to save time but it still took 2 weeks before Centrelink could see her. Elaine didn't bother to wait for the CO's letter to arrive before she booked the interview. Instead she booked the interview and made sure that a faxed copy of the CO's letter reached her in time for Elaine to take it with her to the Interview.

However I have a friend who lives in Bunbury and Anne's Mum was level pegging with my Mum. Anne's hubby Chris Assured his M-i-L. Anne & Chris took form SU594 etc to the local Centrelink office in Bunbury so that Chris could sign the form in the presence of a Centrelink Officer. They were told that the main AoS guy in Perth would phone Chris and do the interview that way. Anne didn't say whether or not that happened but their AoS was completed less than 3 weeks after the CO requested it. Anne lodged the Bond at the Commonwealth Bank in Bunbury and took the receipts to Centrelink in Bunbury.

There was a huge rush with Anne's Mum because their Agent had made her frontload her Meds in Dec 2005. Anne's Mum then had to give a Health Understaking which was signed and returned in Feb 2006. That meant that her meds were only valid for 6 months instead of 12 and they expired on 6th August 2006.

Anne's Mum's file then went missing in the POPC's office. There was a flurry because they couldn't find it in "the compactor." (Anne and I never did discover what that is and I'm not sure she heard them correctly.) Anyway Chris got onto the POPC, made a fuss and the file was found but the upshot was that no CO started dealing with the final arrangements until the end of August 2006, by which time the meds had already expired.

The CO got the meds extended to 6th November. Anne's Mum was 80 at the time, living alone in the UK. Time had to be factored in to allow Anne & Chris to come to the UK. pack up Mother's flat, wind up her affairs in the UK and take her back to Oz with them. Which meant there was no time to lose during September.

The first contact from the Anne's Mum's CO, requesting the AoS, was on 31st August 2006. The visa was granted on 19th September 2006 - which shows how fast all this can be done if everyone involved puts their minds to it.

My Mum and Anne's Mum had two different lady COs though there was a fair amount of overlap between them because Elaine had dealings with both ladies. Neither of these two COs was prepared to ask for the 2nd Instalment until she was satisfied that the Bond had been lodged, and you have to wait for a letter from the CO before you can pay the 2nd Instalment.

Elaine posted the money to Mum's CO anyway and got the CO to fax her the letter asking for the money, which covered that base. Mum's money reached the CO on Monday 11 Sept 2006. On Friday 15 Sept Mum's CO received the OK from Centrelink and she granted Mum's visa a couple of hours later.

It was even quicker with Anne's Mum. On the night of Monday 18th Sept 2006 Chris drove to Perth and left the Bank Draft for the 2nd Instalment with Anne's Mum's Agent. On the morning of 19th September Anne's Mum's CO faxed the Agent asking for the money. The Agent jumped into her car and drove to the POPC with the bank draft. The visa was granted before she left the building. They gave her the grant letter to take with her I was told.

Eventually everything was sorted and Anne's Mum reached Perth on 30th October 2006, a week before the meds deadline expired! Anne & I kept a joint on-line diary on the Go Matilda forum for about 3 months with both of us adding to it every time there was anything to report. It was a bit of a soap opera but it was good for Anne's & my nerves and seemingly a lot of people were following the progress of the two 80 year old Mums!

The last bits really can be done fast if one by-passes the postman and uses modern technology (fax) instead and if the child in Perth is on the ball and keeps things moving quickly. By then we were so sick of waiting that Elaine & I decided to wrap it up fast and have done with it, frankly! I'm sure you probably feel the same (or you will!) Life is too short to wait around for the Bureaucratic Wheel to turn at the speed of half a cog a year and the less said about the domestic postal service in Australia the better!

Stuff gets around the globe by airmail faster than posted letters get across Perth - weird. If you have to use the post for anything concerning your Parents, use Registered Post because it seems to be the only service that is both fast and reliable. I don't know if you have Special Delivery out there.

It would also be worth your while to start thinking about Form SU594 (another long one) and the stuff you have to produce to Centrelink to prove both your identity and your income. If something isn't right, Centrelink just send you away which can waste weeks because they sometimes refuse to proceed with the Interview unless and until the documentation is OK. Which means making another appointment and so forth. Please see the following links:

Assurance of Support

You can download SU594 via the above link.

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 34. Assurance of Support

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

From what I have seen on the forums, e-mails etc, the AoS arrangements rarely get into a muddle with CP visas because the children providing the AoS make double-sure that Centrelink get everything they want at the first appointment which is thus the only appointment. It used to be more complicated with the skilled visas when there were cousins etc giving the AOS because it tended to get woolly with nobody really being clear about what to do and the Australian Troops not in any particular hurry either. With CPVs the children-Assurers do tend to get on top of the situation and stay on top of it until the visa is granted.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest missymon
Hi June

We applied beginning of Feb 07 and had meds and police checks cleared in Dec 07 and also our AOS was paid in mid Dec 07 but on the day we were going to be asked for 2nd vac payment it was stopped so I just hope I am in the front of the queue..................

Good Luck

Caz

Hi Caz,

We hope you are at the front of the queue too Caz. You deserve it. Really rotten luck too about the house situation. I do hope you manage to sell and get a decent price for it.

Fingers crossed for you

Regards

Monica

Guest june coates

hi everyone.

sorry i havnt been around for a few weeks as i have been busy moving into my new home.my daughter and son in law are buying it and i am renting from them.its so good to have your own little place.i have my fingers crossed that i will be one of the first of many to have visa granted in july.no further news from my case officer yet.for all of you who are waiting patiently as i am,take my advice,bite the bullet and come out on a 12mths visitor visa.i have no regrets and have my family around me and am not sitting in the uk waitng which must seem like an eternity for you all.

Guest Gollywobbler
hi everyone.

sorry i havnt been around for a few weeks as i have been busy moving into my new home.my daughter and son in law are buying it and i am renting from them.its so good to have your own little place.i have my fingers crossed that i will be one of the first of many to have visa granted in july.no further news from my case officer yet.for all of you who are waiting patiently as i am,take my advice,bite the bullet and come out on a 12mths visitor visa.i have no regrets and have my family around me and am not sitting in the uk waitng which must seem like an eternity for you all.

Hi June

I understand that your house-arrangements are tax-efficient for your children in Oz, too. I know another couple on CPVs whose daughter is renting her second home in Perth (Spearwood) out to them long-term.

Also my friend Anne & her hubby have bought a unit/chalet/bungalow in a Retirement Village for Anne's Mum, plus they have another house which is rented out somewhere else.

I am told that this sort of arrangement Pleaseth The Tax Man because it demonstrates that the child is making sensible provisions for his/her old age in some way. Beyond that I don't know how it works but from what I have heard it sounds like a first-rate arrangement for you and for the other Parents as well.

With regard to your decision to go out to Oz on a 12 month tourist visa and get stuck into your new life instead of waiting in limbo in the UK, I could not agree with you more.

Sure, the whole family would like to get the CPV process out of the way with minimal delay (and I shall be chasing the POPC myself if your visa is not granted in plenty of time before your tourist visa expires!) but which visa s/he is on actually makes very little practical difference to the Parents' day-to-day lives, I suspect. My Mum spent nearly all of the wait for her own visa where she wanted to be - out in Perth - and I am certain that that was more important to her than the visas themselves.

I'm really pleased to hear how you are settling into your new home and establishing your own life. Have you heard about the Red Hat Society? It is a sort of ladies group I think. Cheryl Pickett is involved with it. I think she lives in or near Mandurah, where she and her Hubby are on an Investor Retirement Visa. Please see this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/29593-pensioners-north-sydney.html

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Scardycat
Hi Cat

In your shoes I think I would definitely rent your house out rather than sell it too soon. I am pretty sure (though I am NOOOOOOO expert on CGT) that you can let it out for at least 3 years without upsetting the Principal Private Residence exemption.

Please see this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/33476-capital-gains-tax-house-sale.html

The Go Matilda forum seems to be a place where tax issues are much-discussed too:

The Tax and Money Forum - Forum Powered by eve community

I have a complete mental block about tax. It was the only exam out of the dozens that I took on the path to becoming a solicitor that had me in floods of tears afterwards. I didn't understand any of the questions and I wrote gibberish answers and hoped for the best, not having a clue what I was waffling about. Literally. How on earth I passed it I will never know. But it left me with a lifelong horror of anything to do with tax.

I literally stood outside the Ally Pally (a form of sadism used by the Law Society and the Bar Council was to hold the Common Professional Exams there) wailing to a friend, "That's it. If I have failed tax I am NOT prepared to re-sit it. I will abandon the Law and find some other profession instead." Believe me, Cat, I meant it back then and I still mean it today!

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

thanks for the info, sorry not responded sooner but been away for a few days, did have a chuckle at you stood wailing outside Ally Pally, although can imagine it was not amusing for you at the time, thank goodness you passed.

I do think it is good advice to rent especially with the housing market as it is and with the uncertainty of the CPV's, will plough through the links you have given me, (good bedtime reading) The more info I have the easier it will be to make the final decisions, my eldest daughter got her visa this week but still has her house to sell, so wont be going anywhere for a while yet.

Regards

Cat

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cat

GREAT news about your daughter's visa!!!

As soon as she moves to Oz, the countdown can begin until you can apply for your CPV. I seem to think that you only have two children, both daughters?

If I'm right about that then your elder daughter can sponsor you as soon as she has become "settled" in Oz.

Please see this link and please read the two cases cited in the article:

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Scardycat
Hi Cat

GREAT news about your daughter's visa!!!

As soon as she moves to Oz, the countdown can begin until you can apply for your CPV. I seem to think that you only have two children, both daughters?

If I'm right about that then your elder daughter can sponsor you as soon as she has become "settled" in Oz.

Please see this link and please read the two cases cited in the article:

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

thanks for that, have printed it out and added to my Oz file,

Yes you are right about the daughters, (eldest, Angelcake, youngest TAHE49) I have a step son who has lived in Oz for something like 18 years, both the girls are hoping to go out at a similar time, but of course with the housing market as it is it could be a "race to the finish", youngest daughter still waiting on visa but she applied a week after her sister so it shouldnt be too long now. They both have houses to sell so it's another waiting game. I just want one of them to get out there so I can start on the countdown.:wacko:

best wishes

Cat

Guest Where'sTheWind

Hi Gill

Thanks very much for taking the time to collate all that info.

Yes, Mum and Dad's medicals have been cleared (well, the wording on the response from LCU was "have been processed", so I'm taking that as meaning they have been cleared) and the pcc's were sent off about three weeks ago, so I think your suggestion of calling POPC to see what we can find out is well worth a punt. I've just spoken to Mum and she's going to call them on Monday herself - she's only too happy to be doing anything that might bring a bit of certainty.

If the call elicits anything of any use I'll be sure to pass it on to the forum. I've given mum a few pointers on the type of thing to try and find out.

With regard to the AoS stuff, at the minute we'd be over the moon to be at that point in the process. If M & D get into the 08/09 quota, I don't think the AoS is very likely to hold anything up as I can see their house taking a fair while to sell, so even if the AoS process trundled through July and August it would probably not be a major issue for them. I'm sure, however, that all that info will be very useful for any other parents who are sold up and ready to roll, and for whom a speedy resolution to the Centrelink step is paramount.

Thank again, and hopefully I'll have something to add to the pool of knowledge next week.

cheers

Rick

Guest claire&fred

Hi

My mums CPV was lodged 28 June. She still does not have a CO yet. Should she have had one by now or are they taking a while to get through them.

Claire

Guest cazbeckham

Claire

Do you have any other siblings in Australia? IF not how is your Mum going on a CPV?

Your Mum should have her CO pretty soon now

Caz

Guest Where'sTheWind

Hey Claire

Missymon posted on this thread the other days - she's just received her acknowledgement and the ack letter said they were curently processing 30/06/2007, so you more than likely have a CO by now - hopefully it's in the post!

Guest Where'sTheWind
Hi WTW

My AOS for CazBEckham was done quite quick really!

fingers crossed we get to that stage this year, rather than next !

Guest claire&fred
Claire

Do you have any other siblings in Australia? IF not how is your Mum going on a CPV?

Your Mum should have her CO pretty soon now

Caz

Hi Caz

My sister has been in Australia 4 years in June. Will keep fingers crossed about CO. She is in no rush but I would like it to move along for her. Hoping your are first in the queue when the start them up again in July.

Claire

Archived