contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

Hi Sandch

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I've got one addition for you, a couple called R&M who are friends of mine but they do not post on the forums. Their CPV 143 application was lodged on 1st July 2008, which is nice & straightforward.

You may be interested in the second page of this thread as well because there are two more couples on that, plus one of the couples have been told by the POPC that it is currently taking them 15 months after the lodgement date before a CO makes contact:

Contributory Parent Visas - Update on Processing Timelines - Topic Powered by eve community

Someone should phone the POPC and discover why there is this "temporary delay", I reckon. It is sooooo frustrating when they give out a piece of information like that but make no attempt to explain why it has happened!

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gil can you clear up the following, Queuing

Does the queue date start from 1, The date they recieved the application, 2, the date they took the money for the applications, or 3, the date they signed the letter of acknowledgement.

Regards

Les & Babs

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gil can you clear up the following, Queuing

Does the queue date start from 1, The date they recieved the application, 2, the date they took the money for the applications, or 3, the date they signed the letter of acknowledgement.

Regards

Les & Babs

Hi Les & Babs

You will be pleased to learn that the Queue Date starts from...

4. The day the POPC put you into the Queue.

I don't know exactly how they work it out but my suspicion is that the Queue Date is an artificial date which will obviously have some correlation to your chronological time line but I think the "Queue Position" (for want of a better expression) is something of a movable feast.

Alan Collett of Go Matilda received an e-mail recently from the Manager of the POPC. It contained an attachment which Alan copied and pasted into the article below:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

There is a pecking order with working out how to prioritise applications for Parent visas. The legal version of the document is Ministerial Direction xx [some number or other.] I have seen it but it was on my old computer, which died and since I'm not a migration agent nothing to do with visas was backed up onto anything else.

Anyway there is an accurate description of the Ministerial Direction in Fact Sheet 37, which is here:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 37. Processing Priorities

According to the communique from the POPC once the Queue Date is set it cannot be altered. Therefore they must apply the Ministerial Direction before they set the Queue Date, which is likely to lead to an "artificial date" if you see what I mean.

Therefore it seems to me that the way they (presumably) do it is that you get your Queue Date and that will not change. However someone else might come along with a better claim to an earlier Queue Date than yours. If so then the number of people ahead of you in the Queue would alter as well.

In 2005 I read about a lady of 97 from Devon, whose only child has been an Australian Citizen for about 40 years. The old lady got her CPV OK - and they were not running an official Queue then anyway - but if she were to apply today presumably she would 'leapfrog' most of the other applicants in the CPV queue because she is single, ancient, a widow, her only child is a Citizen etc.

I suppose it must be theoretically possible that this [by now hypotherical] old lady's Queue Date might be very close to the date when she actually applied, but if the Parents are relatively young, there are two of them, the relevant Child has not been in Oz for long etc then the Queue Date could be several months after the date of lodgement.

I don't know for sure. It simply seems to me that this sort of analysis "must be" how they do it?????

Best wishes

Gill

Guest PatnPete
I think I've added everyone who has asked - but please shout if not! Good luck with the wait.

Cheers

Hello Sandch,

We only became members today because we like the comprehensive format of your 'Key dates tracker' and would like to be added to the list.

CPV(143) - Agent YES; Lodgedment 27 Sept 2007; Acknowledged 8 Oct 2007; Medicals etc 26 Apl 2008.

Regards

PatnPete

No Case Officer yet.

Guest Gollywobbler
I think I've added everyone who has asked - but please shout if not! Good luck with the wait.

Cheers

Hi Sandch

My friends R&M did their own application without an agent.

Plus Missymon (above) would like to be included, please.

Hi Sandch

Please could you add us to your key dates tracker? We sent our CPV173 application off to Perth on 21st March 2008, they recieved it Ist April and we got letter of acknowledgement on 17th April.

Many thanks. Great idea btw.

Some other friends, Claire & Don, are using an agent for their CPV 143 and their application was lodged on 28/11/2007. They have gone to Oz on a long-stay tourist visa so I haven't heard from them lately but no doubt they will e-mail or post on here again once they get a CO. I'm 100% sure that Claire would ask to be added to the list, please. I think they are probably listening to their agent who is probably telling them to hold off with the meds and police for the time beng.

Very many thanks

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
OK thanks Gill - I've updated these. They're in acknowledgement date order by the way - quite a useful number now to help us monitor progress.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the additions. Next time you update the tracker, Missymon and her husband are not using an Agent. Monica (Missymon) is a nurse who does not log on very often but she won't mind helping to make the tracker as complete as possible. However please don't feel that it is urgent and that you need to make a special effort.

Cheers

Gill

Hi LizG

Thanks for adding us to the list , one other thing we are not using an agent, will keep you informed.

Regards

Les & Babs

Hi Les and Babs

Would like to take the credit but it was SANDCH that drew up list and is adding to it,

Regards

LizG x

Hi Steve

Thanks for the additions. Next time you update the tracker, Missymon and her husband are not using an Agent. Monica (Missymon) is a nurse who does not log on very often but she won't mind helping to make the tracker as complete as possible. However please don't feel that it is urgent and that you need to make a special effort.

For the minute the only thing to do seems to be to sit tight and wait for the "temporary glitch" in processing times to sort itself out. Maybe they short-staffed at the moment.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Talk about making things difficult, its still as clear as mud,:skeptical:

I tried the queue calculator, it did not recognize Oct 2008 at all. However I tried 30th Sep. 2008 and it says there are 360 applications outstanding before that date. Based on that I may have a visa next month? (I Wish):daydreaming:

Regards

Les & Babs

Guest Gollywobbler

[

quote=les-babs1315@hotmail.com;357727]Hi Gill

Talk about making things difficult, its still as clear as mud,:skeptical:

I tried the queue calculator, it did not recognize Oct 2008 at all. However I tried 30th Sep. 2008 and it says there are 360 applications outstanding before that date. Based on that I may have a visa next month? (I Wish):daydreaming:

Regards

Les & Babs

Hi Les

The Calculator is saying that a CPV143 applicant was added to the Queue on 30th September 2008 and that there are 360 other CPV143 applicants who will get their visas before he will get his.

What it does not tell you is when the 30th Sept person's CPV143 application was lodged. The probability is that it was lodged in around July or August 2007.

Once the POPC add you to the Queue, they will contact you and tell you your Queue Date. Until they do that, you will not glean anything much from the Queue Calculator.

The important thing for you at the moment is that your acknowledgement letter confirms that your lodgement date (the date of formal acceptance of the application by the POPC) is 2nd October 2008. You count time from then.

The reason why the lodgement date is different from the date that your courier says was the delivery date of the application is because some of the applications they receive are not valid applications - eg the applicant has forgotten to include a bank cheque or his credit card details. They weed those applications out and prevent them from entering the system at all. On 2nd October 2008 the POPC were satisfied that your application meets the basic requirement of being a valid application.

Sandch's tracker is actually FAR more use than the Queue Calculator. If applicants keep in touch with him and let him know when they hear from COs etc then we can keep an accurate track of everyone's timelines. The more people who give their details to Sandch the better, as well. I'll have a fish around a bit later and see who else I can find because I've definitely come across people who are not on the tracker as yet but who are likely to come back and tell us when there are developments with their own applications.

Going back to your original question, though, you are not likely to be given a Queue Date until sometime in 2009. It is hell not knowing what (if anything) is happening about one's application. I know what it was like with my Mum's. I'm sure that a lot of DIAC's torture tactics are designed to test one's resolve about migrating to Oz!

Best wishes

Gill

[

Hi Les

The Calculator is saying that a CPV143 applicant was added to the Queue on 30th September 2008 and that there are 360 other CPV143 applicants who will get their visas before he will get his.

What it does not tell you is when the 30th Sept person's CPV143 application was lodged. The probability is that it was lodged in around July or August 2007.

Once the POPC add you to the Queue, they will contact you and tell you your Queue Date. Until they do that, you will not glean anything much from the Queue Calculator.

The important thing for you at the moment is that your acknowledgement letter confirms that your lodgement date (the date of formal acceptance of the application by the POPC) is 2nd October 2008. You count time from then.

The reason why the lodgement date is different from the date that your courier says was the delivery date of the application is because some of the applications they receive are not valid applications - eg the applicant has forgotten to include a bank cheque or his credit card details. They weed those applications out and prevent them from entering the system at all. On 2nd October 2008 the POPC were satisfied that your application meets the basic requirement of being a valid application.

Sandch's tracker is actually FAR more use than the Queue Calculator. If applicants keep in touch with him and let him know when they hear from COs etc then we can keep an accurate track of everyone's timelines. The more people who give their details to Sandch the better, as well. I'll have a fish around a bit later and see who else I can find because I've definitely come across people who are not on the tracker as yet but who are likely to come back and tell us when there are developments with their own applications.

Going back to your original question, though, you are not likely to be given a Queue Date until sometime in 2009. It is hell not knowing what (if anything) is happening about one's application. I know what it was like with my Mum's. I'm sure that a lot of DIAC's torture tactics are designed to test one's resolve about migrating to Oz!

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanks for the reply I am now begining to see the wood from the trees, I have added our details to the list.

Best wishes

Les & Babs

Guest marian and ian burgess

Hi Would you please add or name to the CPV visa tracking list. Our application acknowledgement is dated 12 March 2008. Many Thanks marian/ian

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again sandch

I'd be very grateful if you would very kindly add Goldilocks to the list too. They have applied for a CPV but have not said which one. Their application was lodged on 3rd January 2008 and they are using an agent.

Many thanks

Gill

Guest marian and ian burgess

Thanks for adding our names to the CPV tracker list; I forgot to mention that we are applying for a CPV 143 Visa and Yes we are using an agent.

Many Thanks Marian/Ian

[

Hi Les

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill.

My brother-inlaw who lives in Perth spoke to POPC today to try and find out about queing and from what he said the person he spoke to didn't have a clue,( more trees than wood again), after further probing it seems that we don't get a que date untill we get a case officer, I think you are right DIAC are trying it on I am sure that between us we could come up with a better system.

Best wishes

Les & Babs

Hi All,

Sorry to bust in on a thread...............

BUT in a few hours we depart the over priced pathetic excuse for an hotel known as the The Village Ashton Moss..... which seems unable to understand rooms need heating...and head for Manchester Airport and an Emirates flight via Dubai and Bangkok to Sydney.

May I offer my thanks to Gill - who is absolutely brilliant and unstinting in her efforts to get valid , detailed help advice and information to the lost sheep wanting to head for the promised land of Oz! Also included are the many others who support Gill and also get stuck in helping others.

This is a great forum and easily outstrips the egocentric and blinkered "controllers" of a certain forum which "they" consider is No 1!.....Mistake!

Posting here now feels a bit like going back to the school Christmas dance, months after you left and started work! Done it, been through it, got the mental scars to prove it.... but not really allowed to be there!

Much out of pocket with the house thing, robbed blind by car dealers, and totally knackered sorting out the shippers and exit from the old homestead, we stand on the doorstep of our new life.

Best wishes to all the current batch of CPV,ers... its a long ans tedious process..but it does work and it does eventually end satisfactorily.

I hope to drop by now and then...to let you know how we are getting on...and hopefully the others following us...will add to the thread.

Best wishes to you all.....

L.L. and OH!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi LL & OH

Have a really good trip - if there is such a thing on a plane!

Have a great time in Sydney once you've had some sleep.

Gissa shout from time to time, please????

Hugz

Gill

xx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gill.

My brother-inlaw who lives in Perth spoke to POPC today to try and find out about queing and from what he said the person he spoke to didn't have a clue,( more trees than wood again), after further probing it seems that we don't get a que date untill we get a case officer, I think you are right DIAC are trying it on I am sure that between us we could come up with a better system.

Best wishes

Les & Babs

Hi Les

The big PAIN with this stuff is that as soon as you understand what they are doing today, tomorrow they change the whole thing. Unfortunately, I am not kidding.

Old drill:

This operated under Ministerial Direction [123] - I can never remember the numbers.

This Direction stated that applicants for offshore Parent and Contributory Parent visas could not be added to the Queues for each until:

• The application had been checked for compliance with the legal criteria - eg the Balance of Family Test; and

• The applicant had been shown to comply with the Public Interest Criteria of Health & Character as well.

Since they tell you not to do the meds and police checks until a CO contacts you to request them, it follows that under the old drill the CO would add the Parent to the Queue once the CO was satisfied that everything was in order.

July 2008

They altered the Ministerial Direction. Under the new Direction, applicants for the offshore Parent 103 and the Contributory Parent 143 and 173 visas will only have to comply with the legal criteria before being added to the Queue. The change came into effect on 14th July 2008.

However it is taking time to get the new system organised and running smoothly (though I've no idea why.) According to the POPC's Round Robin of 1st October 2008, they hope to have the new system fully operational by the end of 2008.

New System (in theory at least.)

Fairly soon after receipt of the application, "someone" will check that the application demonstrates that the legal criteria are met. If that side of things is OK, "someone" will add the visa applicants to the Queue and this same "someone" will contact the applicants and tell them their Queue Dates. "Someone" may or may not be the CO who will - in due course - guide the applicant through the final stages of processing.

As yet, none of this Bold New Plan is reflected in the figures in the Queue Calculator and nobody has reported that they have been told their Queue Date.

Why the delay?

One might well ask! At the moment the POPC are working flat out to try to finish granting all 6,500 CPVs and CAPVs which are available in the 2008/9 Program Year, so as not to keep applicants waiting for any longer than is absolutely unavoidable.

Once that task is out of the way, then they will have time to start getting the new Queueing arrangements up and running smoothly for the next batch of applicants.

I suppose it is a fair way of doing things - it would be silly to delay people's visa grants for the sake of the new Queue arrangements and like all Government departments, the POPC is pared to the bone on the number of staff they are allowed to employ.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Scardycat

Is there anyone who has gone out to Oz on a 12 month 676?

I am confused again!!! on the application form it says to show information of an incentive and authority to return to your country of residence.

1. you cannot book a return flight a year in advance

2. what evidence can you show?

3. what if you don't want to return and just want to go over to NZ, Fiji or Bali, to re-apply.

4. Would it be advisable to take out travel insurance.

5. Is the world really round?

6. Did Cook really find Oz

7. Does the sun rise every day :biglaugh:

I can't believe I am getting stressed over this one, what will I be like on the CPV:arghh:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cat

Have both of your daughters now moved to Oz? If so, when do you plan to travel? It takes a fortnight at the outside to obtain a paper-based subclass 676 visa so there is no need for premature haste.

The reason why you are struggling with the questions is because you are trying to put the cart before the horse, here. You cannot "move to Australia" on a tourist visa, however much you might want to.

Nor can you rely on the idea that you can automatically nip to Bali for a week, get another sc 676 and march straight back into Oz with it. For a start it might be refused - which would leave you stranded in Bali and having to return to the UK (or go elsewhere) from there. Or stay in Bali for a few months if you can get a suitable visa for Bali, I guess. Secondly, even if a new sc 676 visa is granted in Bali a Jobsworth at Immi Control in Oz could try to cancel the visa when you try to use it to enter Oz, arguing that you are not trying to "visit" Oz but to "move" there prematurely and without applying for a visa that would permit you to live in Oz permanently or even temporarily on any sort of genuinely Temporary Residency basis.

The concessions which apply to CPV applicants seeking repeated, back-to-back, long stay tourist visas for Oz do not kick in until the CPV application has been submitted. Therefore there is no sense in trying to jump the gun, honey. So until your CPV application is in the pipeline, you must not try to behave like the guest who is invited for tea but then demands a permanent room in your house. Eventually you would chuck someone like that out on to the street and so will DIAC if you offend them.

They will be reasonable with you and will give you a 12 month stay if you explain that both of your daughters have moved/are about to move to Oz. You would be grateful to be allowed to go as well for 12 months, so as to be on hand to help your children and grandchildren to settle into their new lives. Also, if all goes well, the plan is for you to apply for a CPV as soon as that becomes possible. However you have never lived in Australia so at this stage you cannot be sure that a CPV would really be the right thing for you. To start with, you would like to make a good, long visit. After that you would like to take stock before you try to decide on your own long-term plans.

Leave it at that. You would do far better to rent out your house in the UK for a year and let it be income-producing whilst it weathers the current storm in the market. If you own a house in the UK then it is reasonable to suppose that you will choose to return to it when your 12 months in Oz is up.

In practice they do not give British Parents the third degree anyway because you are a law abiding bunch on the whole. (Apart from the Mother In Law From Hell two years ago! She went out to Oz using a 90 day ETA to visit her daughter and inflict herself on her son in law for 3 months. The old bat liked it so much that she decided to remain in Oz. She didn't do anything about getting another visa. After 11 months her son in law was making plans for a shallow grave beneath the patio. DIAC pre-empted him. They turned up with the police, drove the old bat to the airport and put her on the next plane to London apparently!)

Also it is unsafe to assume that an unforeseeable calamity will not occur, so you would be very unwise to burn all your bridges in the UK at this early stage, hon. If your own plans are prudent and sensible then you will not have any problems with Form 48.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Scardycat

Hi Gill, thanks for your response, must say I had a good laugh at "the old bat", hopefully my son-in-laws will be pleased to see me, I don't fancy being taken away kicking and screaming.:biglaugh:

My situation at the moment is that one daughter is already in Oz, went early September, the other one leaves here on the 28th November. I am planning to go over at the end of January, I will be renting my house out while I am gone, my plan, as much as one can make a plan in these circumstances, is to try and get a 12 month 676, at the end of that 12 months, return to UK and put in my application for a CPV, by which time first daughter should have been there nearly 18 months, hopefully then apply for another 676.

What I couldn't understand was how you can show evidence of returning if you can't get a return flight that far in advance, also having read about people going over to NZ or Bali, then going back, couldn't understood how that worked. I had toyed with the idea of doing a bit of travelling at the end of the 12 months, but that was more a "I'll wait and see how I feel at the end of the time" What do I need to supply to show an incentive to return to UK.

With regard to the house, I was thinking I will either sell it once I have applied for the CPV or leave it let out for a couple of years, again its another case of seeing how I feel at the time, I have quite a few friends and family I can stay with and if I spread myself around I hopefully wont end up like "the old bat" and to be honest if I didn't get the CPV I would want to move somewhere else anyway,

Because I will be renting the house out and will have to clear out all my personal effects I am currently trying to get together anything I might need for the 676 and the CPV so that I have everything prepared and don't suddenly find I need information that I have got rid of, so any hints, tips or advice are most welcome.

Once again thanks so much for your help

best wishes

Cat

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cat

Thanks for this. OK, you haven't thrown caution to the four winds like the old bat did, so that is OK!

Just telling them that you intend to let your house out for a year whilst you are away but then you will need to return to the UK in order to move back in and decide what to do with it should be enough. As I say, they know that British parents tend to behave.

You can actually book a return flight with a return date 12 months after the outward journey. What you do is book the longest gap that the on-line booking thing will allow and check that you will be allowed to alter the date of the return flight without incurring additional cost. In practice most airlines will let you travel back a year after they took you out to Oz if you talk to them once you are in Oz, so don't worry about that. It is cheaper to book a return flight than to book two one-way seats.

DIAC do not require you to have a return ticket. All that they require is evidence that you could afford to buy a flight out of Oz and they are not interested in where you go once you leave Oz.

The idea of people nipping to Bali for a week is once the CPV application is in the system. However just lately they have taken to not imposing Condition 8503 on the tourist visa if they know that a CPV application has been launched or soon will be. Without Condition 8503, the parents can apply for new tourist visas without leaving Oz first.

I'd suggest that you apply for the tourist visa in about mid-November, before you book the flight. See whether or not they impose Condition 8503 - no further stay - on the tourist visa before you decide on the rest of your plans. If they don't impose Condition 8503 then you will not necessarily have to leave Oz before you get get a CPV application into the system.

So just do this one step at a time and then plan the next step once you know the outcome of the first step, I suggest.

Hugz

Gill

xx

Guest Scardycat

Gill,

Thanks so much for that, it's just so nice to have someone to bounce things off of and get some advice back, will apply for the 676 mid November, then will book flights once I have got that back, have daughter and family moving in on the 12th Nov. so they will be here for a couple of weeks before they go, don't know how I am going to be after that, when my other daughter and family left I spent a couple of weeks bursting in to tears for the slightest thing, don't know what I'm going to be like when they are all gone, still at least I will have plenty to keep me busy trying to get house and everything sorted.

Will let you know whether they impose the 8503 or not. Thanks again.

luv Cat

Guest Gollywobbler

Beloved Cat

You will NOT weep like a feeble wet hen once your second daughter departs, because you will be too busy de-cluttering and doing your own packing, chooks.

Goodness me! It'll only be a matter of a few short weeks until you head out to join your family again.

I'd use it as an excuse for a Last Fling once your daughters are safely out of sight and therefore can't tick you off! :yes:

Cheers

Gill

xx

Archived