contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

Guest Gollywobbler
We finally ditched our agent! It's a bit scary to be on our own, but overall the feeling is relief. We do now have a CO at last, and have been asked for AOS. Bad news is we've also been asked for meds, which were done back in July, and police certificates which were supposedly sent to Perth in August, so we're hoping nothing's gone missing. We've also been asked for Form 1221, which seems to want all the same information all over again for a THIRD time. Don't you just love government departments, bless their little cotton socks! Still, compared with the agent, POPC's response time is brilliant. Wish we'd had the confidence to take Gollywobbler's advice sooner, but thanks anyway, Gill - we got there in the end.

Hi Maria

Thanks for this update.

Hopefully your former Agent has forwarded the police checks: chase the Agent about that, I suggest. The Panel Doctor should have sent your meds direct to Sydney. I would suggest an e-mail to the Health Operations Centre asking for confirmation about where they are up to with those:

Health Operations Centre

There is no real backlog at the HOC at the moment so it sounds to me like there might have been a clerical error and someone forgot to add your meds results to the database.

You'll be fine. The POPC staff are absolutely first rate at client care and they are reallu nice to deal with as well, as you now know.

Please keep us posted with your progress?

Best wishes

Gill

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gliddon

Hi Gill,

Yes, we're doing all we can to chase things. On checking the exact wording of the agent's e-mails, we've realised she said both police certs and Form 80's had been 'forwarded to DIAC', so we're wondering if she just sent them to the wrong address! (I would have thought they'd have been forwarded to POPC by now, though.)

Meds are a different puzzle - we've checked via the postal tracking reference the surgery gave us, so we know they left England but can't track whether they arrived in Sydney. We've now given the CO all the details we have of everything she asked for so hope she can follow up the leads, but thanks for the contact for the meds - we'll e-mail them ourselves as a back-up.

It's all very frustrating, but we console ourselves with the thought it could be a great deal worse. Our hearts bleed for the people caught up with the agency that's gone bust, or agonising over when they can get at their savings from an Iceland bank, or unable to sell a house. At least now we can go ahead with the AOS and feel we're making progress at last.

We're intending to go at the end of November anyway, whichever visa it needs. We have to leave our rented house by then, and we were hoping to have the full visa in time, but that looks unlikely now, I think. Not to worry - we have friends in NZ so a hop over to see them will be a bonus.

I'm amazed at your fast responses - a true fairy godmother! We'll kep you updated with further progress.

Mary

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mary

There is plenty of time in which to get your CPVs granted before the end of November and the COs at the POPC know every time-saving arrangement there could be, too.

Have you told your CO of your travel plans? If not, I suggest that you do.

At this stage, chase up the missing paperwork plus complete the outstanding forms and return those to your CO. Then chase Centrelink about the AoS because they can be unbelievably inefficient and slow in some places but brilliantly efficient and quick in others. Centrelink in Perth were hopeless with my mother but in Brisbane they were brilliant with johatts and her parents last December.

The visa can be granted on the same day that your CO receives the 2nd Instalment if need be, so there is still plenty of time to get the loose ends tied up and your CPVs granted before your proposed date of travel to Oz.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Mary,

Hope all goes well.

Your situation with your agent is probably just as frustrating as those involved in the agency bust, Icesave and selling a home. At least we can take comfort from each other - your situation seems unique.

I was caught up in the Icesave fiasco - all my savings were with them but good old Gordon Brown has guaranteed our money so he'll be getting my vote!

Fingers crossed that you don't have long to wait now and looking forward to that post "We've got it"!!!!,

Best Wishes,

Liz x

Hi all

We popped over to Oz for a couple of weeks to validate our contributory parent visas and I just wanted to confirm that there is no fanfare at all at the airport, just the usual rubber stamp. Kevin Rudd was not there to meet us, nor even our case officer.

I did notice something though. Either I'm getting used to the Ozzie accent or it is becoming softer. It just doesn't seem as strong as it used to. I heard a programme on the radio and they were saying the same thing. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh, and I tried my jet lag cure again - yes it worked perfectly - no jet lag at all. I've posted the details here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/33896-oz-uk-jet-lag-solved.html

Guest gliddon

Thanks for the good wishes, Liz. Yes, I saw Gordon Brown had announced a guarantee for the Iceland savers, you must have been very relieved. We certainly live in scary times at the moment, as if just waiting for the visas wasn't enough. We put the money from the sale of our house back in February straight into Northern Rock - our friends and family thought we were mad at the time, but it turned out to be a shrewd move. Now we're watching the amazing movements in the exchange rates and wondering just when to jump. (Trying to hedge bets by moving money in several chunks.) Why is nothing ever simple?

Mary

Hi this info is really great we are in the process of applying for tra for 175 visa ,my mum is also going to oz but i thought ours would be longer than hers so we were waiting until we applied for our visa then would apply for parent one but it sounds as though from what you are saying that it is taking longer for the parent one is this correct and when do you recommend applying for my mums visa . My brother is already an australian citizen any help would be greatful thanks i cant believe all the info you get on pio i would be really in the dark if i didnt find you thanks again

Guest OldiesRUs

Toria, yes PIO (and Gill) have been my saviour over the 14 months it tooke to get our visas. I know I would have had a breakdown while waiting if it wasn't for all the lovely people on here. Everyone is so helpful and as you say, you pick up so much information about everything on the threads.

Jean:wubclub:

Hi this info is really great we are in the process of applying for tra for 175 visa ,my mum is also going to oz but i thought ours would be longer than hers so we were waiting until we applied for our visa then would apply for parent one but it sounds as though from what you are saying that it is taking longer for the parent one is this correct and when do you recommend applying for my mums visa . My brother is already an australian citizen any help would be greatful thanks i cant believe all the info you get on pio i would be really in the dark if i didnt find you thanks again

Hi Toria

Gill is the expert here on CPV visas and I'm sure she will come along soon and help you out. I can tell you CPV visas are currently taking 18 months upwards to process at the moment.

Is there only you and your brother, or do you have any other brothers and sisters elsewhere. If parents meet balance of family test they should propbably start applying now but don't worry, Gill will keep you right.

You are right about the info you pick up - it's invaluable and I have been lost without all the help and advice I've received on PIO.

Best Wishes,

Liz x

Guest amygirl

Hi All. Can anyone tell me please how long you have before you have to take up the visa once it is issued, in other words----when the visa is issued when do you have to go to Aus------is it within 6 months or 3 months or ??????????????????????????????????

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi All. Can anyone tell me please how long you have before you have to take up the visa once it is issued, in other words----when the visa is issued when do you have to go to Aus------is it within 6 months or 3 months or ??????????????????????????????????

Hi Amygirl

It all depends on your medicals more than on anything else. Have you done your medicals and police checks yet? Most people are told that they must make their initial entry to Oz on their CPVs within 12 months of the date when their meds were completed. It is a bit variable though because if a Health Undertaking is required they usually require you to make your initial entry to Oz within 6 months of the date of the meds clearance.

Ask your CO what date s/he has in mind as the date for your Initial Entry to Oz, I suggest. That is what we did with my mother's CO.

You don't have to move to Oz lock, stock & barrel by the Initial Entry Date. It is enough if you just make a quick visit to Oz, like Jorgon and his wife have done recently. There is a post from him about their recent trip about six or eight posts above this one.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest gliddon

Good news is, our meds have turned up in Perth and are OK. That's a big relief, as it was so long since they were done - we were worried we might have to set the whole thing up again.

Bad news is, Form 80's and Police Certificates seem to have gone awol. I've contacted our ex-agency, and was given courier references that seem to indicate they were sent to POPC, but CO definitely can't find them with our file. The agency is going to check with the courier service to see if they have any evidence of delivery in Perth, but I don't know where we go after that if they don't turn up. If the worst comes to the worst we'll just have to do them again - Police checks didn't take too long and we've kept copies of everything we filled in on Form 80 (Thank God - details of 40 years worth of previous jobs took some dredging up!) The strange thing is, they were sent in two separate deliveries on different dates, so even with our luck it seems unlikely the courier would lose both of them. My theory is we have an earlier file somewhere at POPC that's fallen down the back of a cupboard!

Meanwhile, we e-mailed the letter for the AOS to our son and he got back to us to ask 'Why does it have my birthday inserted into Mum's date of birth?'! So I'm just about to query with the CO whether we'll need to wait for a corrected version of the letter for him to take to Centrelink.

It's always my details that go wrong - every time we've gone to Oz on family holidays, everybody else gets the electronic visa acceptance straight away, but they ALWAYS reject me first time and I have to contact them by phone. We think it's because we have a common surname and I'm just Mary without a middle name, but it gets tedious when it happens every time.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me!

Watch this space, folks - I think this one could run and run...

Mary

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Toria

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The first step is to check whether Mum is eligible for a Parent or Contributory Parent Visa.

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

If Mum is single and you and your brother are the only children she has, then she ought to meet the Balance of Family Test provided that there are no issues involving step-children who are under 18 or siblings of yours whose whereabouts are unknown.

Assuming that that bit is OK and that Mum is in reasonable health, the ext question is whether or not she can afford a Contributory Parent Visa. The costs would be:

$1,420 for the application (this is the only payment until the end of the process.)

$32,725 for the 2nd Instalment, which is the last payment before the visa is granted.

$10,000 for the Bond for the CPV 143 visa if she decides to apply for PR in Oz immediately (which 80% or so of the applicants do.)

So it is quite expensive even though you can split the costs up by using the temporary CPV 173 first.

How old is Mum, please? This can be very important in planning the best visa strategy for her.

If you have alredy decided to apply for a CPV for Mum and are content to bear the costs etc, plus she is eligible, I would recommend making the CPV application straightaway since it is likely to take around two years before it would be granted.

Please shout if you want any more help at any stage.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi all

We popped over to Oz for a couple of weeks to validate our contributory parent visas and I just wanted to confirm that there is no fanfare at all at the airport, just the usual rubber stamp. Kevin Rudd was not there to meet us, nor even our case officer.

I did notice something though. Either I'm getting used to the Ozzie accent or it is becoming softer. It just doesn't seem as strong as it used to. I heard a programme on the radio and they were saying the same thing. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh, and I tried my jet lag cure again - yes it worked perfectly - no jet lag at all. I've posted the details here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/33896-oz-uk-jet-lag-solved.html

Hello Jorgon

What are you like? Do you mean they negligently forgot to roll out the red carpet?

You'll be talking Strine soon and then you won't even notice the twang! The trick is to turn every statement into a question, I have noticed. Afferbeck Lauder can help you with this:

http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt

Well done for getting your visas and getting the validation bit out of the way!!:jiggy:

Do you have any plans to move to Oz permenently any time soon? If so, where to?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mary

What a pain all this kerfuffle is!

The first thing to do is to sort out the letter that your son has to take to Centrelink. They might well baulk at the typo so I imagine that a new one will be needed. Ask your CO to send the new letter direct to your son, I suggest, to save time.

Whereabouts is your son? It might be worth another Form 956 to change the Authorised Recipient to him since it can be easier if whoever is dealing with the final stages is in the same time zone as the CO.

I wold suggest that your son should contact Centrelink without waiting to hear back from the CO. If Centrelink say they want to interview him, there is sometimes a delay or 2 or 3 weeks before they can provide an appointment.

Also, your son needs to complete Form SU954 if he is going to be the sole assurer, plus he needs to get all the documents ready to prove his identity and also his income for the requisite period:

Assurance of Support

9 Visas, Entitlements & Assurances of Support

If there are two Assurers then they need to complete one SU594 each.

Meanwhile, if I were you I would start doing Forms 80 again so as to save time and I would probably spend another £70 on new police checks to save time with those too. If you did the old-style police checks last time, be aware that you now have to get the new version, available via www.acpo.gov.uk The new type cost £35 each and should be returned within 10 working days if you find that you need them.

However the AOS does take a bit of time to organise, so I would focus on that first and then do the rest whilst the AoS process is rumbling along.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Toria

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The first step is to check whether Mum is eligible for a Parent or Contributory Parent Visa.

Parent Migration Booklet

If Mum is single and you and your brother are the only children she has, then she ought to meet the Balance of Family Test provided that there are no issues involving step-children who are under 18 or siblings of yours whose whereabouts are unknown.

Assuming that that bit is OK and that Mum is in reasonable health, the ext question is whether or not she can afford a Contributory Parent Visa. The costs would be:

$1,420 for the application (this is the only payment until the end of the process.)

$32,725 for the 2nd Instalment, which is the last payment before the visa is granted.

$10,000 for the Bond for the CPV 143 visa if she decides to apply for PR in Oz immediately (which 80% or so of the applicants do.)

So it is quite expensive even though you can split the costs up by using the temporary CPV 173 first.

How old is Mum, please? This can be very important in planning the best visa strategy for her.

If you have alredy decided to apply for a CPV for Mum and are content to bear the costs etc, plus she is eligible, I would recommend making the CPV application straightaway since it is likely to take around two years before it would be granted.

Please shout if you want any more help at any stage.

Best wishes

Gill

hi gill sorry i have been off line all week working hard, thanks for your reply , my mum is 65 years she is in great health thank goodness she works 5 afternoons a week it is only my brother and i my dad passed away 9 years ago. to afford the costs of her visa she would sell her house (hopefully)so i understand she should apply just now then? i havent even sent my tra forms away yet but hopefully that would sort of even out the timing and reading what you said in an earlier thread about this if her visa is later in coming through she can go to australia on a visitor visa first then go out the country to validate the parent visa once it does go through? also my mum has 2 brothers living in australia and plenty of neices and nephews. thanks for your help i know i said this before but pio is really a life line in the pursuit of happiness. toria

Guest Gollywobbler
hi gill sorry i have been off line all week working hard, thanks for your reply , my mum is 65 years she is in great health thank goodness she works 5 afternoons a week it is only my brother and i my dad passed away 9 years ago. to afford the costs of her visa she would sell her house (hopefully)so i understand she should apply just now then? i havent even sent my tra forms away yet but hopefully that would sort of even out the timing and reading what you said in an earlier thread about this if her visa is later in coming through she can go to australia on a visitor visa first then go out the country to validate the parent visa once it does go through? also my mum has 2 brothers living in australia and plenty of neices and nephews. thanks for your help i know i said this before but pio is really a life line in the pursuit of happiness. toria

Hi Toria

Based on everything you have said, in your shoes I would choose the Contributory Parent subclass 143 visa and just get on with it. My mother has a CPV 143.

The big money (the $10,000 Bond and then the 2nd Instalment) is not payable until the end of the process, shortly before the visa is granted. As things stand at present, Mum would be looking at a visa grant during the 2010/2011 Program Year: ie sometime between 1st July 2010 and 30th June 2011.

The CPV is expensive but the 2nd Instalment is a notional contribution to the Parent's potential future health care costs in Oz and absolutely nothing to do with health is recoverable from the CPV Bond. I consider that to be fair because nothing Mum has paid by way of National Insurance in the UK can be transferred to Oz. Medicare and Australia generally look after their elderly residents MUCH better than the UK does, and the GPs really are committed to keeping the elderly active, comfortable, happy and with their families in the community - where my 88 year old Mum wants to be. So I think it was well worth the cost and Mum can't take the dosh with her. I'd rather that it is spent on her peace of mind, sense of security and her contentment in Oz.

Yep. If the CPV is not ready for grant by the time you are ready to move to Oz with your Mum, you just apply for a long stay tourist visa for Mum. If she requests a stay of 12 unbroken months in Oz it will be granted and she probably wouldn't need more than one tourist visa by the time you are ready to pack up and leave for Australia for good.

In your shoes, I would be inclined to keep it simple and to get the ball rolling now. 3-5 days outside of Oz is long enough to deal with the formalities of granting the CPV and getting the offshore DIAC office to put the visa label into Mum's passport. However it is usually cheaper to get a 7 night package deal to Fiji, Bali, Auckland or Singapore. A good excuse for you and Mum to spend a week on hols by yourselves or the whole family can go if you prefer.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi gill thanks for the help it all seems a little less complicated now as long as her house sells in time everything should be good . many thanks again toria

Hi Amy

Most of us who have not long recieved our CPVs took about 14mths from start to finish unlike some of the others we were advised to have our meds and p/checks done up front which has left us little time to validate we got our Visas on 17th Sept and have to validate by 25th Dec My personal oppinion on this to anyone asking is do it on your own and wait until asked for your medicals etc then you will have 1 year to validate from then.

I know things will take a bit longer now with application process as more people are applying but you get there in the end and with the state of play in the UK we have our Visa but still can't go with the housing situation but keeping a positive mind that it will all come right in the end.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Evelyn

Hi Mary,

Glad to hear you have decided to finish the process on your own which is what we did after a lot of hassle with Immigration agents and with Gill,s help it was the best thing we ever did from the time I contacted POPC and found out who our CO was we had our Visa within 2 wks so don't worry it will just happen as if you had an agent only you are in controll. If you want to know something you just e-mail or phone direct its like cutting out the middle man and I found they couldn't have been more helpfull mind we all had the same CO, L/Lad, Oldies and us so may all have a different opinion.

Hope all goes well for you and if I can be of any help just Pm me.

Evelyn

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

So to clarify........we can go and take our parents with us and they stay on a 12 month tourist visa....we apply after 12 months for their CPV and they go to Bali for a week......they come back in to oz and stay for another 12 months......and if the CPV has not been granted by then they can to to Bali again?

JOHN

Hi John

I am soooo sorry to be such ages in replying to your query. Things have been a bit hectic at work, at home and on here in the last week or so.

There are many factors to consider with regard to your Parents.

1. Will they qualify for Parent Migration in due course?

Parent Migration Booklet

2. Assuming that the Balance of Family Test will be met and that your Parents have no major health problems, will you and your wife have Permanent Residency from Day One? The relevant child or children in Australia must have Permanent Residency visas except in very unusual circumstances.

3. You and your wife must have a demonstrably "settled" lifestyle in Oz before the Child can sponsor his or her Parents for migration. How long it takes for someone to become "settled" depends on the facts of his/her lifestyle. It is not a question of how long s/he has lived in Australia for. So it is not a question of one year, two years or even 5 years. It is entirely down to the facts of the sponsoring child's lifestyle:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

They are cautious about this because the Sponsor undertakes that if his/her Parents fall on hard times during their first two years in Oz, the Sponsor will ensure that they are adequately provided for, thus preventing the Parents from being able to rely on the State Benefits system for assistance instead. The Sponsor cannot realistically do that unless his/her own life is running on rails, in effect.

At this stage it is not possible to predict how long it might take before the Sponsoring Child's lifestyle will become "settled." You have not moved to Oz yourselves yet.

How old are your Parents and what is their current situation? Are they still active, healthy and independent in a home which they own? If so, I wouldn't be inclined to burn any of their bridges any too soon, to be honest.

I know one family for whom the Contributory Parent Visa has gone badly wrong in financial terms. Their daughter married an Aussie and moved out to Oz. They had to wait for her to become "settled" before her Parents could apply for CPVs. Financially the daughter's lifestyle became settled quickly enough but she is not happy in Oz. The family thought that Mum & Dad's presence in Oz would cure that, so Mum & Dad applied for CPVs as soon as they could, got them and went out to Oz.

That has not cured their daughter's homesickness. She still seems determined to return to the UK. If she insists on returning to the UK and does so, her Parents will ditch their CPVs and the whole family will return to the UK, meaning they will all have to rebuild their lives here, find new homes etc and in the meanwhile the Parents have made a gift of nearly £40,000 to the Australian Government, which has no legal obligation to return any of that money. I'm not even sure that they could do it on an ex gratia, discretionary basis because there probably isn't any legal machinery which would make a refund possible.

Also, the daughter could become a ping pom Pom. It doesn't really matter if her Spouse visa lapses. As long as she remains married to Hubby they could always get her another Spouse visa at any time in the future. However her Parents can't afford to keep chucking large chunks of money at the Australian Government.

When you first set off for Oz, you will have your hands full with finding somewhere to live, settling the children into schools, getting yourselves sorted out with jobs, cars and generally finding your way around. That is disorientating even for a young couple. I shouldn't think it is any fun at all for their parents.

Therefore for what it is worth, I always think that a slower approach is better with Parents. You go to Oz first and at least get settled into a rental that you would not have to move out of whilst your Parents are visiting. Then get them out to Oz for six months so that all of you are together for Christmas and New Year plus they escape the English winter.

Then let them return to the UK and take stock for a while. Are they sure they really want to uproot and move to the other side of the world?

I know that the temptation is to try to plan the whole thing like a military campaign at this stage, and probably you and your parents believe that you would not be able to bear long-ish periods of separation from each other. Trust me, it is survivable and it is nowhere near as bad as you think it is going to be.

I would urge you to make your own move to Oz first, get yourselves organised out there and then have another look at what would be best for your parents.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest june coates

hi gill,

good advice you have given john.they need to come over for 6mths hol.first before making such a big decision as i did.i have just returned from bali and have had my visa granted.it was so easy at the embassy,just went there on the monday,handed passport over,waited 10 mins.then hey presto, visa in passport.wish it had been as easy at bali airport.had to wait ages as visa wasnt coming up on computer and my 12mth visitor visa had been cancelled in bali.eventually,was allowed to leave the country only to have the same thing happen in perth airport.i was held up by immigration for what seemed like ages then the nice man came to me and said-welcome back to australia.phew,i was so relieved.as we were leaving denpasar airport i had a chuckle as i visualised 2 little balinese men carrying your mum into the plane,gill.i now have a very busy week ahead,sorting out driving licence,medicare etc.and my garden has sprouted lots of weeds while i wasnt looking

Guest gliddon

Hi Gill,

Our son is in Melbourne. He's got his Centrelink appointment on Oct 23rd, and has already downloaded Form SU954 so it's all systems go for the AOS.

The missing docs problem is interesting - the agency has now produced the receipts from the carriers to say they were definitely signed for in Perth, so I've forwarded that to the CO in case it helps to track them down. We'll hold fire for the moment on re-doing them in case they turn up like the meds did. POPC is also asking for documents from our son that he sent with his original Form 40, so he'll have to re-send them if they've gone missing too. I was assuming all the problems were down to the agency because they were so generally inefficient, but it does begin to look as if something's gone wrong at the Perth end as well - perhaps that somehow explains why we got our CO so long after other people who were acknowledged after us.

We've renewed our passports and told the CO - waiting to hear if they'll need a certified copy of the new ones.

Thanks for your support, Evelyn. Yes, we're sure we've done the right thing, just wish we'd done it earlier. Although things are still complicated, I'm much happier to know we're in control ourselves. If we were still wih our agent we'd have got nowhere - after I told her I thought there must be problems, she just kept telling us 'don't worry, I'm sure you're in a queue'!

Mary

Guest gliddon

Anyone else had to fill in Form 1221? Our CO asked for it so we're meekly plodding through it, and we've just got to 'what is the general purpose of your journey/further stay?' and 'how long do you intend to stay in Australia?' - giving space for dates of arrival and departure. Is it just me, or are these bloody silly questions to ask immediately after you've ticked a box saying 'permanent residency'. (Perhaps you're supposed to estimate a death date!)

Mary

Archived