Holiday Visa truns to Working?

Andrew Stevens

Hi fellow pomes!

I am planning on hopefully coming over in the next few months. One question I have is;

As I am 32 and ineligible for young person's working visa, as am unskilled; am I able to visit on a long holiday Visa (2 yrs), and then transfer to a working Visa once have work confirmed and arranged? I plan on moving to Perth and working in the mining industry.

I am getting in touch with pro service but am eager for some positive feedback.

Many thanks

The longest holiday visa you will get is 12 months, and it will be highly unlikely for you to apply for a further visa onshore as the visa will most likely have 8503 no further stay condition attached.

You require an occupation on at least the CSOL to be able to get sponsored, which requires qualifications and experience. There has also been a big down turn in the mining industry.

as am unskilled; am I able to visit on a long holiday Visa (2 yrs), and then transfer to a working Visa once have work confirmed and arranged? I plan on moving to Perth and working in the mining industry.

Unskilled, holiday visas and jobs in mining??

Think you need to stay off the drink/drugs buddy.

Even if you qualified for any type of visa, which doesnt look like you do, why do you think you would get a job in the mining industry? First, most miners are skilled (even if it is a mining based skill) and second there are loads of unemployed miners out there looking for work

So you miners don't just swing an axe against a wall for mega bucks? That's shattered that dream!

Machines do the work, the real jobs are in skilled maintenance of equipment and services and the white collar geology.

Some people think mining involves a pick axe and a shovel and since they have experience in filling their mammies coal bucket they reckon they are going get six figures shovelling.

Thanks for the feedback, those that are helpful that is. I suggest the others try looking at classic British humour for the funnies though lol! I have worked in the construction industry for 7 years and from what I remember that didn't involve filling my "mammies" coal bucket, we have gas in England tool! :)

They also very much like you to know the right ppl over anything else..if u know someone already wrking in the mines you might have a shot but...you cant get sponsored wth no recognized skills..good luck though

Thanks Lorna :)

I do know quite a few ppl there so fingers crossed.

many thanks

I suggest you look at the sol and CSOL lists. You need to have an occupation on one of the lists to be eligible for sponsorship.

Then your ability to get a job would be very slim.

I am a manager in the mining industry. There are no shortage of unemployed miners now. For example Roy Hill is a mine currently in construction and was very controversial a couple of years ago when they announced they were planning on sponsoring thousands of people from outside Oz. They have this week announced they won't be sponsoring anyone as they are getting thousands of applicants from within Oz.

My company have just done some recruitment. Without advertising and just putting some feelers out we had 40 applicants per job.

many thanks

Andrew, you're selectively 'listening' if you're crossing your fingers because you 'know quite a few ppl there'. You quite simply CANNOT be sponsored unless you have qualifications in an occupation on the CSOL and it doesn't matter HOW many people you know (or how badly an employer may want you) if you don't meet the skill requirement. You've already told us that you are unskilled so that's the end of it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx The CSOL

Look at the statistics

457s grants over the last 6 months are down 40% compared to the same period last year, due to the changes last July employers seemed to have changed their hiring strategy.

Those employers who require certain very high skills have no other choice but to sponsor, but the costs and increased scrutiny has brought the number of 457 down to more sensible numbers.

many thanks

It does take more than knowing people to get sponsored. The employer will need to prove that they could not find an Australian, which would be hard in the current market. If you believe that you have the skills that Australia requires, then there are much better strategies than turning up on a holiday visa and hoping for the best. That is definitely last resort / desperate territory.

Archived