Starting as a teacher for economics any tips please?

Annoisa

Hi,

I live in Murray bridge Adelaide and working in meat factory. I have done masters in Economics and masters in business Administration. I came here 6 months back I want to teach economics here in Adelaide schools/colleges but don't know from where to start? I am ready to do courses for that, but don't know initial points please send me any link or thread or advice which can help me?

wishes,

Annoisa.

Google is your friend.

As you've already got an undergraduate qualification, check these out: https://education.adelaide.edu.au/study/postgraduate-study/

Obviously check the other Universities too (UniSA etc)

If your degree isn't recognised in Australia then, regardless, you need an undergraduate degree before you can do one of those courses.

Although it is unlikely, if you do end up needing to get another degree, you may well get credit for your previous studies.

An alternative route is to do a Bachelor of Education of some sort as either a standalone or a dual degree. But I don't think you'll find many schools teach business or economics.

If you can, explore the possibility of getting in to Maths as your teaching area as there's probably better job prospects for you there. Same with Physics, if that interests you, but you'd probably need a whole new degree for Physics.

Thank you Luke,

I am busy with tough schedule of job and family here so not possible to go to DECD in Adelaide office to get first hand information but someone said that they need 8.5 in IELTS or alternatively have to do the 4 years education degree. Still incomplete information but will get all. Thank you for the link. I ll surely go through it and see any better options. And my mathematics is good and i ll see this option too.

But did you ever hear about volunteer teachers in schools for mathematics just for experience in SA?

wishes,

Annoisa

You will need to apply to complete a post graduate teaching qualification. They usually assess your undergraduate degree as a part of that application and tell you which subjects you will be able to teach when you are finished. You can study the 1 year post graduate teaching qualification off campus through many universities - so you will be able to study at home. However, if you do not have PR you will need to pay international fees. Contact the University of Adelaide as a start. YOu have missed the beginning of the academic year this year so you will be applying for 2015.

Thank you Luke,

I am busy with tough schedule of job and family here so not possible to go to DECD in Adelaide office to get first hand information but someone said that they need 8.5 in IELTS or alternatively have to do the 4 years education degree. Still incomplete information but will get all. Thank you for the link. I ll surely go through it and see any better options. And my mathematics is good and i ll see this option too.

But did you ever hear about volunteer teachers in schools for mathematics just for experience in SA?

wishes,

Annoisa

Contact local universities and they will be able to guide you.

Most universities have mid year entry, so you would not need to wait until 2015 to start your teaching qualification. If you apply soon, you would be looking to start mid year 2014.

The one year graduate diploma in teaching is gradually being phased out and many universities now offer the two year Masters of Teaching (Primary or Secondary) instead.

The university will require you to have your degree formally assessed by the overseas qualification unit before admittance.

Good luck.

You will need to apply to complete a post graduate teaching qualification. They usually assess your undergraduate degree as a part of that application and tell you which subjects you will be able to teach when you are finished. You can study the 1 year post graduate teaching qualification off campus through many universities - so you will be able to study at home. However, if you do not have PR you will need to pay international fees. Contact the University of Adelaide as a start. YOu have missed the beginning of the academic year this year so you will be applying for 2015.

Thank You Rosiew thats a starting point. I ll start from here as you said.

wishes

annoisa

Contact local universities and they will be able to guide you.

Most universities have mid year entry, so you would not need to wait until 2015 to start your teaching qualification. If you apply soon, you would be looking to start mid year 2014.

The one year graduate diploma in teaching is gradually being phased out and many universities now offer the two year Masters of Teaching (Primary or Secondary) instead.

The university will require you to have your degree formally assessed by the overseas qualification unit before admittance.

Good luck.

Thank You Sammy I applied for diploma in business with Tafe but after seeing your answer I think I should straight away start my teaching studies and go FOR TEACHING instead of any other job. I shall search today and see any good options hopefully. Thank you you help me to see the situation.

Wishes,

Annoisa

You need to keep in mind there will be a series of compulsory 8-14 weeks of on site teaching that you will need to complete in large blocks (and not local...Renmark, Victor as well as in Adelaide ) that you need to complete as part of the program at non negotiable times throughout the course...more weeks than you have holidays with your job...so that needs to be considered.

Don't dismiss the idea of working/teaching in TAFE or vocational VET registered training organisation RTO. Could be a foot in the door, plus higher education teaching/lecturing at TAFE or university. For higher ed a master degree allows teaching under grad, assuming you have an under grad degree, even if not your 'school of life' or 'real world' experience has become more important vs academic only qualifications. Opportunities for training, teaching and lecturing maybe limited in Adelaide, but on other hand more flexibility in hours, and generally no 'crowd control' issues that may appear at school.

You need to keep in mind there will be a series of compulsory 8-14 weeks of on site teaching that you will need to complete in large blocks (and not local...Renmark, Victor as well as in Adelaide ) that you need to complete as part of the program at non negotiable times throughout the course...more weeks than you have holidays with your job...so that needs to be considered.[/quote

That's good Scattley,

And to start my long term career in SA or Australia I am ready to do anything. I hope if they give me opportunity I can do it well. Real thanks for the information because starting something new anyone should have every option in mind and make his/her targets or small goals accordingly.

Wishes,

Annoisa

Don't dismiss the idea of working/teaching in TAFE or vocational VET registered training organisation RTO. Could be a foot in the door, plus higher education teaching/lecturing at TAFE or university. For higher ed a master degree allows teaching under grad, assuming you have an under grad degree, even if not your 'school of life' or 'real world' experience has become more important vs academic only qualifications. Opportunities for training, teaching and lecturing maybe limited in Adelaide, but on other hand more flexibility in hours, and generally no 'crowd control' issues that may appear at school.

Hi Connaust,

I am not sure I will get such opportunity to take any classes part time anywhere but I will surely try. I sent my enquiries to Uni of Adelaide and UniSA and waiting for their reply. Though calling there I came to know on my visa 475 I can study part time even taking one subject a semester which means i can do job here in suburbs and study side by side though charged as International student. But still I will start as it will be a relaxing spot that by the end of the day i can have a good opportunity.

Universities do their own assessment for previous study. So they will start from here. The course for teaching was for one year before now changed to 2 years. So slowly doing it till PR I will complete a good part of it.

But I shall surely search for your suggested work as a teacher in different places. Is working as a volunteer is an option in Australia too?

In October my 1 year condition for working fully will complete so i can go for that too. Looking forward for your more assessments too.

Thank you,

Annoisa

I have never heard of anyone doing volunteer teaching - and I think even if you managed to find something like that, it is extremely unlikely that you would be able to do it without a prior qualification.

Have you considered tutoring as a possible part time or temporary job or something to do on your own time?

Doing a graduate diploma part time would be at least two years (or more). Depending on your visa conditions, this may not be viable.

• 11 months later...

Hi Luke,

I left that factory job and now seeing full time and administration job as I have done MBA before and now doing Diploma in Business from TAFE. But what is I want to be is become a teacher here. They need 8 in IELTS in South Australia for teaching. My Visa is 475 which is temporary visa and will convert to Permanent visa in August this year hopefully.

After PR I can change state and would love to know if you have any information to work as a teacher for long term and even for administration job.

I have done MBA, Bachelor in education and Masters in economics and MPhil in economics. But confused for applying or moving forward as everyone says no jobs in Australia.

Please give me some hope.

Wishes!!!

Annoisa

I have never heard of anyone doing volunteer teaching - and I think even if you managed to find something like that, it is extremely unlikely that you would be able to do it without a prior qualification.

Have you considered tutoring as a possible part time or temporary job or something to do on your own time?

Doing a graduate diploma part time would be at least two years (or more). Depending on your visa conditions, this may not be viable.

I left that factory job and now seeing full time and administration job as I have done MBA before and now doing Diploma in Business from TAFE. [...]

I have done MBA, Bachelor in education and Masters in economics and MPhil in economics. But confused for applying or moving forward as everyone says no jobs in Australia.

Why would you do a VET-level diploma in business if you have an MPhil in Economics?

There should be plenty of opportunities for you to teach in HE... TEQSA are insisting on lecturers being qualified to the level above which they teach, and there are a lot of under-qualified lecturers out there.

Have you checked Torrens University, a brand new uni right there in Adelaide?

Thanks mungbean,

I have no good information for entering the universities as lecturer and secondly have no prior experience for that. What is TEQSA? Can you give me link or guide me?

Secondly i searched for teaching economics on secondary levels it has procedure get registered with TRB then DECD etc etc. So was thinking of that but if I can get even one lecture here I will be able to enter a good career here.(even for secondary teaching I need to do at least one year teaching course here which I can easily do.

And for diploma in business because I have MBA too and have worked in administartion previously for few years and that the only thing i felt handy to start with as an admin or frontdesk job.

Rest I am confused what to do and how to start here. Australian job market is so difficult to enter.

Even as a volunteer no jobs because govt does nt allow companies or universities to get work without pay from anyone.

Wishes,

Annoisa

Why would you do a VET-level diploma in business if you have an MPhil in Economics?

There should be plenty of opportunities for you to teach in HE... TEQSA are insisting on lecturers being qualified to the level above which they teach, and there are a lot of under-qualified lecturers out there.

Have you checked Torrens University, a brand new uni right there in Adelaide?

You are not realistically going to obtain a university lecturing role without a phd.

If we widen that definition of "university" to "higher education" then I disagree.

There are people lecturing in higher education who don't have a bachelor's degree, never mind a masters or PhD.

Doesn't mean TEQSA approve it (in fact, strictly speaking it's against their guidelines), but there is a massive qualifications shortage among HE lecturers.

(Doesn't mean they aren't qualified to teach their subject of course... professional experience counts for a lot in many spheres, and is recognised, but a piece of paper isn't the be-all-and-end-all.)

Edited by mungbean