Itinerary for visiting parents...any suggestions?

ProudmuminUK

Hello everyone.... My daughter and fiancé have been in Sydney for over a year now on a WHV and latterly a bridging visa whilst they await approval of a 457 visa. I was speaking to my husband last night, and posed the suggestion of going over in December for 3 weeks to visit. Flights are expensive, but we could do 3 weeks spread over 3 events; my birthday, Christmas and New Year.

Although the main reason is to spend time with my daughter and her fiancé, I imagine they would have to work the majority of this time (and also I think we'd end up killing each other if in each other's pockets for the duration!)

We would like to spend some of the time exploring some of Aus, bearing in mind the size of the country (we're under no illusions!) and the 3 events already mentioned.

Has anyone got ideas what we could do, see and explore... Or even done similar - what did you do to get the most out of your visit?

Many thanks

Proud mum x

Book a twilight Sydney harbour bridge climb. Take a walk in the botanical gardens visit take a cruise around the harbour go up the Sydney eye. The list goes on and that's just in the city. The blue mountines an hour away hide a few gems.

I would also recommend a visit to the blue mountains, we stayed in a log style cabin over night which was lovely and visited the jonolan caves which was great fun and whilst in the blue mountains we visited katoomba which has a great view point.

Some of the things we did:

Blue Mountains

Bondi/Bronte/Tamarama

Hunter Valley

Sydney Harbour

Sydney Bridge Climb

Sydney Eye

Sydney Dinner Harbour Cruise at night

Tarronga Zoo

Grand Pacific Drive

Botanic Gardens

Sydney Aquarium (and fed the sharks)

Loved all of them lol xx

Hop on a ferry from circular quay and go to manly and out to homebush. A great way to see the city.

where does your daughter live?

We did that when we went over :-) was lovely views. Remember when we got to Manly they had shark announcements for people to get out of the water, everyone appeared to ignore them, will never forget that.

We did that when we went over :-) was lovely views. Remember when we got to Manly they had shark announcements for people to get out of the water, everyone appeared to ignore them, will never forget that.

On a nice sunny day it's a good way to have a look and relax for a couple of hours.

Will you be hiring a car when you visit? If so I would definitely recommend going up to The Blue Mountains for a couple of days. We like to stay in Blackheath, and in my opinion, the Jenolan Caves are definitely worth a visit! There are lots of things to do in Sydney itself, such as the zoo, aquarium, ferry rides to places etc. All worthwhile!

You could spend 1-2 days in Melbourne, Hobart, Brissy, Cairns etc, they are not so far flight wise, if your budget will permit this. Pick your destinations based on the types of things you like doing, wineries? water sports? nature? remote or city? You will find a trip, weekend away or road trip to cater to just about anything. Within reach from Sydney, other than what has already been mentioned, there is also the Bowral/Mittagong area, Kiama, Terrigal, Hunter Valley and even Canberra.

I'd agree with most others and say the Harbor Bridge Climb if that type of thing is up your alley? I'd be too scared to do it but I have quite a few close friends who've done it and they all loved it. When we we're in Sydney we did the touristy thing of Opera House/Harbor Bridge sightings and had a lovely morning taking it all in and then on the next day we walked from Coogee Beach to Bondi. The most beautiful scenery I've seen while here- Tamara Beach (I think that's what it's named) was the most stunning by far and we all agreed that Bondi was a very over rated- we only stayed 15 or so minutes. The Blue Mountains are said to be beautiful but we didn't go. Will you only be doing NSW? It seems such a long way to come to only see some of it. I can highly recommend the Great Ocean Road in Vic I never get over the sights of the cities all lit up at night.

Many thanks for all your responses...some great ideas! My daughter lives 2 mins from Bondi beach and when I visited last year without my husband, I walked along the coastline between Bondi and Coogee, stopping at Bronte for a spot of lunch. A beautiful walk and definitely one to take the OH. I fancy Hunter Valley - possibly for my birthday (!) and also the Great Ocean Road; Qld; Blue mountains... The list is getting longer!

I'm loosely thinking

1. Arrive and spend a few days in Sydney doing the sites

2. A week away with daughter and fiancé - birthday during this period - maybe Hunter Valley and ??

3. Back for Christmas

4. Another few days away to ??

5. Back for New Year... Fireworks at Harbour bridge!!

PS I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to do the bridge walk!

Lots to think about; let's hope their visa gets approved!

Thanks again

P.mum

H

Our daughter also lived on Bondi Beach until recently and we have spent several holidays there. One time we organised a day trip to the Hunter Valley, wine tasting. Have you been to Palm Beach, on the northern beaches? Not a lot to see there but its very pretty. We did a house swap there a couple of years ago and found the ferry in Palm Beach will take you across the bay to an inlet called 'The Basin' where there are 'wild' wallabies and a picnic and camping site. The wallabies are so used to people they come right up and stare at you, especially if you are eating ( no feeding allowed, signs everywhere but I don't think they can read :-)

The ferry from palm beach also takes you up the Hawksbury River to Bobbin Head - takes about an hour and a half to get there and the same back. Places to eat and a marina to wander round - very pretty. You'd need transport to Palm Beach though.

Have you done the walk from Split bridge to Manly? I think its even prettier than Coogee to Bondi Beach.

Further afield, on the Great Ocean Road we liked Apollo Bay - pretty little town. Warrnambool was less touristy, but nice little town lovely boardwalk right along the bay and access to Port Fairy which was worth a visit.

We flew up to Cairns one year and stayed in Port Douglas for a week - lots of places to visit up there.

Last time we were over we went by train from Sydney to Brisbane - wanted to see the country not the air space. Couldn't entirely recommend it because the last bit was done by bus and the whole journey took twelve hours ... an experience! However if you fancy flying down there, we loved Brisbane.

Have fun!!! Wish I was going this year.

If your only there for 3 weeks and your main aim is to catch up with family I wouldn't bother trying to see any other parts of Aus. There is absolutely heaps to do and see around Sydney without the extra expense of more flights, more time zone changes. 3 weeks will fly by.

If you are going to be in and around Sydney for a week or so, I recommend getting a Multi ticket, which is what we did for a recent trip there - these cover you for busses, trains, and ferries all over - we even went out on the train to the Blue Mountains on ours which was also covered, as well as the shuttle bus when we got there. The cost was about $10 per person per day and we easily got our money's worth. If you have smart phones, there is a great app called TripGo which worked out connection times for us etc.

I think it was this one http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/mymulti

If your only there for 3 weeks and your main aim is to catch up with family I wouldn't bother trying to see any other parts of Aus. There is absolutely heaps to do and see around Sydney without the extra expense of more flights, more time zone changes. 3 weeks will fly by.

I'd agree with that. Also Christmas is the start of the summer holidays so, if you are travelling away, you will be competing for bookings and accommodation at the busiest - and therefore most expensive - time of the year.

Thanks again to you all, some really good suggestions and advice. Still waiting to hear whether my daughter's 457 has been approved (I read on the migration posts that they're only taking 2 weeks for some, she and her fiancé have been waiting since Jan! No agent though, so that could be the sticking point)

Can't wait to Skype with the news that we're coming over (hopefully!)

Archived