Retraining & Change of Career - your stories?

3FatCats

I have read of a few people who have retrained in order to meet migration requirements, and others who have simply tired of their usual job and decided to try something different. Being on the cusp of this kind of moment myself, I wondered if you would like to share some of your stories?

In particular, I am interested in hearing how long it took to retrain in order to actually get another job, do you feel the effort was worth it and would you do it again? Also interested in what you all did and what you decided to move into, and your reasons!

I'm a professional marketer, experienced all-rounder so that includes traditional marketing and all the digital SEO too. Feeling a lot tired of corporate jobs just now, my main passion is actually writing, and organising large scale events with all the bells and whistles, and feel I am good at both. What would you suggest for me?

Many thanks! :wubclub:

I trained as a Registered Adult Nurse partly ahem... (mainly) with a view to Migrating to Oz. This is after years of on / off hospitality jobs all over the world sandwiched between lots of travel and binge drinking. OK I needed to get a real job anyway !! Great career move for anyone with a view to coming over to Australia as there are opportunities abound. If you can find your career niche your laughing :-)

Snap... I have always wanted to be a nurse but with a house, husband, two children and a dog to look after thought it impossible...

But we're desperate to move to Australia and of course this is the driving factor so will have to suck it up (the financial implications) and go for it. If Nursing gets taken off the lists then I guess it's no biggy because I will be finally getting to do something I have wanted to do in a long while....its just going to take me 4 years ?

You'll just have to suck it up and be a kept woman for 3 years. They are accepting new grad nurses from the UK especially in Sydney. Keep your eyes peeled for opportunities.

With one years experience you'll easily get a sponsorship. With three years experience you can easily get residency from the UK and come out here as PR :-)

Snap... I have always wanted to be a nurse but with a house, husband, two children and a dog to look after thought it impossible...

But we're desperate to move to Australia and of course this is the driving factor so will have to suck it up (the financial implications) and go for it. If Nursing gets taken off the lists then I guess it's no biggy because I will be finally getting to do something I have wanted to do in a long while....its just going to take me 4 years 

Ah so u can't apply for PR after graduating? This is where I have got muddled up with reading the other nursing threads. Age is a factor here haha! If it was just after graduating if I push it through super fast and plan ahead gathering all the uni evidence as I go along I may just get a invite to apply before my 33rd birthday so at 32 could came the extra 10 points I think it is...

So is it a 457 sponsored visa after grad with getting a job offer within Australia (so no qualified work experiance)

Or wait further 3 years after grad then apply for 189 PR visa? That will be taking me upto around 35-36 years old and my girls 10-11 and 6-7 years old. Hmm this will take some thinking then closer to the time of graduation...

X

You probably can apply there will be a visa to suit. Its always changing

Look through one of the many nursing threads to avoid hijacking this one :-)

Ah so u can't apply for PR after graduating? This is where I have got muddled up with reading the other nursing threads. Age is a factor here haha! If it was just after graduating if I push it through super fast and plan ahead gathering all the uni evidence as I go along I may just get a invite to apply before my 33rd birthday so at 32 could came the extra 10 points I think it is...

So is it a 457 sponsored visa after grad with getting a job offer within Australia (so no qualified work experiance)

Or wait further 3 years after grad then apply for 189 PR visa? That will be taking me upto around 35-36 years old and my girls 10-11 and 6-7 years old. Hmm this will take some thinking then closer to the time of graduation...

X

I studied zoology at uni first of all, with a view to working in science. Couldn't find a job when I left uni, so I took what was meant to be a temporary job as a receptionist at an opticians. Decided that I would take myself back off to uni to study optometry, and then worked as an optometrist until youngest was born (employed and then as a locum). When we decided to move to Australia (with OH's job) we decided that I would stay at home with the girls, and by the time eldest started school, I had been out of optometry for five years. Had I wanted to practice in Australia I would have had to re-sit my professional exams, but was in the catch 22 position of probably not able to pass because I had been out of work for so long, but not able to gain any experience because I wasn't registered and therefore not able to work. In the end I decided I hadn't enjoyed it that much anyway (although the money was very good) and decided to leave optometry behind.

I owned a small online business which I started up and worked at for a couple of years, which kind of kept me busy when the girls were first at school and stopped me from going mad with boredom, but I didn't really enjoy that either. It was a wedding-related business, and I found dealing with a constant stream of 'bridezillas' thoroughly draining! So, I closed my shop just before Christmas.

Not really got any plans as of yet. I am in the very lucky position that I don't have to work, although I would very much like to, I am just not sure what I would like to do. So, I have decided to take a year off, spend some time getting my health and fitness back up to where it should be (haven't been in the best of health for the past three or four years), and just doing a few different online courses to see if I can work out what my next move will be.